Forums > Critique > Current shoot: What do you think?

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

These were shot in a bedroom with 3 speedlights and same lens: Canon 24-105 f4L

[Edit(s):  I've been forced to reveal that she is pregnant, these were drafts.  Now they are the final pieces.]

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/200619/02/5eec856bba2e9_m.jpg

Jun 14 20 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Personally, I would say that you have better work in your book already.  Two of the images here have stuff on the shelf behind the model that is quite distracting to me.  Also, it looks like you have light spilling in a number of directions.  At first, I thought “oh, he’s new..... not too bad for a newbie”. Then I looked at your book and it shows a level of skill that is beyond these images.

Jun 14 20 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

double post

Jun 14 20 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Digitoxin wrote:
Personally, I would say that you have better work in your book already.  Two of the images here have stuff on the shelf behind the model that is quite distracting to me.  Also, it looks like you have light spilling in a number of directions.  At first, I thought “oh, he’s new..... not too bad for a newbie”. Then I looked at your book and it shows a level of skill that is beyond these images.

The general message conveyed in this forum should be:  "What can be made better?" 
The spillage and the distractions are great to point out.  Thanks.  That's what this is about, but please not try not to belittle.

Jun 14 20 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Lighting issues aside, I think you didn't use the model well. In pic #2, she's too squared-up to the camera and she doesn't have the body for it. #3 is just plain unappealing. She looks like you just backed over her dog.

Jun 14 20 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

I agree with the previous posts.  The model certainly didn't contribute much in the way of expression, which is understandable after what you did to her dog.  But you chose the background with the wood grain finish and the clutter, and you chose the angles, and you chose to show these photos.  What about shot 1 appeals to you?  Shot 2, with the model posed with her hands behind her back, has got to be about as unflattering a shot as you could have taken.  Why did you pick that one to present?  Who shot the good stuff in your portfolio?

Jun 15 20 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Orca Bay Images wrote:
Lighting issues aside, I think you didn't use the model well. In pic #2, she's too squared-up to the camera and she doesn't have the body for it. #3 is just plain unappealing. She looks like you just backed over her dog.

Haha.  Yeah, "squared-up".  Good point.  She really doesn't have the body I'd like - yet.  She's expecting. And #3, OK.  I didn't see the dog at any rate when I stopped by.  I see your point though.  Thanks for your input!

Jun 15 20 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Fleming Design wrote:
I agree with the previous posts.  The model certainly didn't contribute much in the way of expression, which is understandable after what you did to her dog.  But you chose the background with the wood grain finish and the clutter, and you chose the angles, and you chose to show these photos.  What about shot 1 appeals to you?  Shot 2, with the model posed with her hands behind her back, has got to be about as unflattering a shot as you could have taken.  Why did you pick that one to present?  Who shot the good stuff in your portfolio?

OK, OK.  You are figuring me out, but at the same time you are giving me what I need.  These pics are the first four I picked out of 150 or so technically OK pics.  All of the 150 have at least the near eye pin-sharp.  I shot with very limited everything; not because I had to, but because I wanted to give it a try.  I'm unpracticed in that environment.  I did very deliberately choose the backdrop.  I'm planning on several more (4-5) shoots in different environments over the next seven months because she's pregnant.  I'll produce about 20 more from this shoot.  So now you know "why these" and the rest of the story.  #1, DOES appeal to me, but it doesn't match the style of the others, but that's OK because there are so-many shots and multiple purposes.  Shot #2, btw, has a purpose.  Thanks for your input!

Jun 15 20 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

SO NOW...

I've replaced the initial four that I drafted with a choice five from the twenty or so that I retouched.

Jun 18 20 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

For me the third photo down is my favorite, probably the honest looking smile.
Only suggestion is to crop off bottom of photo at models left elbow, and Photoshop out the two door knobs.
[The why, I think the bright door knobs, and light hands distract viewers eyes off models face.]

I wish you well

Jun 26 20 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Lee_Photography wrote:
For me the third photo down is my favorite, probably the honest looking smile.
Only suggestion is to crop off bottom of photo at models left elbow, and Photoshop out the two door knobs.
[The why, I think the bright door knobs, and light hands distract viewers eyes off models face.]

I wish you well

Thank you!
I fully agree with your observation about the sincere smile.  This is helpful because I am planning to speak to the model tomorrow (if she isn't suffering from morning sickness) about how vital the appearance of sincerity is in maternity photos.  This will give me ammunition.  As for the knobs, I considered cloning them out, just as I normally do.  But I feel it's a toss-up.  Certainly, the rule is to eliminate distractions, but for my purpose there is some interest and context that comes with these knobs.  I understand if you think I'm nuts.  As for cropping at the elbow: that would go against the rule "never crop at a major joint."  Well, the crop kind of bothered me too.  It is what it is.  Wish I had shot just a little wider.

Jun 30 20 01:28 am Link