Forums > Critique > Looking for some critique!

Retoucher

Alejandro Crespo

Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, Bolivia

Hello everyone!

Since the retouching forum is basically dead, I would like to have some serious feedback on this image from fellow photographers and models!

(The image skin tone is more reddish than the original image due to the Imgur conversion settings)

Thanks in advance!

https://i.imgur.com/y4L0x4o.jpg

Jun 25 20 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Some thoughts on image and retouch:
Because the light is coming down from such a high angle the areas under the eyebrows are in shadow, you could lighten that up.

The lights used are creating two reflections in both eyes, I would suggest eliminating the lower reflection from both eyes, the why, we have only one sun which leads to only one reflection in each eye.

Some hot spots could be toned down, forehead, nose and especially the shoulder.

Not a fan of the skin texture processing.

I wish you well

Jun 26 20 04:23 pm Link

Retoucher

Alejandro Crespo

Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, Bolivia

Lee_Photography wrote:
I would suggest eliminating the lower reflection from both eyes, the why, we have only one sun which leads to only one reflection in each eye.

Some hot spots could be toned down, forehead, nose and especially the shoulder.

Not a fan of the skin texture processing.

I wish you well

Thanks! Will take that into account, wasn´t sure about the reflector reflection since it gave more light to the eyes.
Didn´t used any skin texturing process tho, was around 10 hours of micro DnBning to have a more or uniform texture overall smile

Jun 26 20 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

As a beauty photographer I do beauty retouching in my work. I haven't seen the original but I can detect on the left most line of her shoulder skin imperfections which you tried to cover up by a uniform skin retouch. A lot of it is way too sharp. The eyes look unnatural. Shadows can be fine because they can create some intrigue and also lend themselves to a mood, which makes it a judgement call in a beauty image. The skin looks unnatural. It's not bad, its just not a great sample image of retouching to show potential beauty clients.

Jul 04 20 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

I'm no expert retoucher (or photographer), I just know what I like and don't like ... and I like it!

Well done! IMHO.

Jul 04 20 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

IEPhotos

Riverside, California, US

The shoulder is too  dominant. Our eyes are drawn to bright areas first. The subject balance is also lost due to size of shoulder.

Jul 08 20 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am a Photographer who believes in trying to get it right in camera , that skin should look like skin - and as a result minimal photoshopping of pictures

Regarding the Photograph - Yes there is too much shoulder in the Photo

Regarding the Retouching - I think its ok - but the subjects eyes look a little artificial

Jul 08 20 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

One more vote for too much shoulder and overly processed skin.

Jul 08 20 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

Please humor me.  Make a layer with 4% monochromatic noise and blend it in to see if you like it. Play with it with the idea of getting the highlights realistic-looking.  4% is generally a tad too much.

Jul 09 20 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

I will not criticize the various post production comments this has been talked about...
Almost the first element that jumped at me was her shoulder! too much of the picture and distracting from her face.
Her most beautiful feature are her eyes, so I would emphasize them and maybe soften the highlight on her nose

Jul 11 20 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

OP, looks like you retouched one eye and then flipped it for the other eye.  They are just too perfect mirror images of each other.  Perhaps the same with other elements.

Jul 11 20 05:46 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

You did good.

Jul 11 20 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
One more vote for too much shoulder and overly processed skin.

+3

The shoulder kills this image.

But just one worthless opinion.

smile

Jul 11 20 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Her nose is way too shiny . . . . distracts from the rest of her face.

A viewers eye will usually go directly to the brightest spot in a photo . . . it should be the whites of her eyes . . .

Not her oily nose . . . no good makeup artist would ever allow that to happen on a real shoot.

KM

Jul 13 20 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Jul 15 20 12:16 am Link