Forums > Model Colloquy > Strange looking

Model

Phoenix Fires Burn

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Heya everyone...

I am an art/fetish model and used to do lots of bondage shoots and that sort of things and I am trying to get back into it...but I am...unconventional looking.

I wonder if there are other models here who don't look like "typical" models...

I am also a photographer so I personally love working with fellow weirdos like myself but I want to know how everyone feels about not looking conventional...

I know I will NEVER be swimsuit model or something like that and that doesn't even appeal to me because I mostly just want to experiment with art behind and in front of the camera.

Your thoughts on this are greatly appreciated!

Feel free to post photos of unconventional looking models in this thread.

Cheers

~Phoenix

Jul 13 20 07:35 am Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

You don't appear all that unconventional looking -- at least not in the images in your portfolio. I'd say you have an interesting look, one that would give variety to a photographer's portfolio.

Jul 13 20 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

All humans are "strange looking", no?

Well, except for the "normal" ones.

Haven't met one of those yet.

Jul 13 20 09:18 pm Link

Model

Phoenix Fires Burn

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

WCR3 wrote:
You don't appear all that unconventional looking -- at least not in the images in your portfolio. I'd say you have an interesting look, one that would give variety to a photographer's portfolio.

Thank you. I just feel like I don't look like a model but then I shoot women who don't really look like models either! smile

Jul 14 20 06:10 am Link

Photographer

sweet gamine

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

If one is modelling then they're a model.
Models come in a vast array of looks and types.

Jul 14 20 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Work that strange and unconventional thing, both with your modeling and your photography. The further you can push it, the stronger it is.

Ultimately all you can offer people is your point of view and your knowledge. Keep developing and exploring your esthetic and keep adding to your skill and craft, never stop learning.

The new, the strange, the fresh and creative - it's not just you that wants these, it's the public, those attributes create a brand and are marketable. Ignore or defeat the doubts, push harder and take it further out.

Jul 15 20 03:37 am Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

sweet gamine wrote:
If one is modelling then they're a model.
Models come in a vast array of looks and types.

And there is a need or market for a variety of looks and types. I usually work with male models. For the project I am working on, I need models who can add context to the images - models that have an interesting story is more important than their looks.

A very long time age, I worked for a mail-order company whose primary target market was older women, 60 yrs old and plus. The average age of their customers was over 70 yrs. For their catalogues, they used models in the 40 to 50 yrs old.

Really, there is a place for models of all looks and types. Of course, some markets are stronger than others.

The biggest problem I have with how people perceive modeling is that some many people think modeling has to do with looks. Modeling is kinda like acting, and it does take skill.

Jul 15 20 10:59 pm Link

Model

Phoenix Fires Burn

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

DCurtis wrote:

And there is a need or market for a variety of looks and types. I usually work with male models. For the project I am working on, I need models who can add context to the images - models that have an interesting story is more important than their looks.

A very long time age, I worked for a mail-order company whose primary target market was older women, 60 yrs old and plus. The average age of their customers was over 70 yrs. For their catalogues, they used models in the 40 to 50 yrs old.

Really, there is a place for models of all looks and types. Of course, some markets are stronger than others.

The biggest problem I have with how people perceive modeling is that some many people think modeling has to do with looks. Modeling is kinda like acting, and it does take skill.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense! Thank you for offering this perspective! smile

I know that when I shoot, I love unconventional models in front of my camera, but I see a lot of people using the same kind of model and it can be a bit discouraging! smile

Jul 16 20 07:19 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

So, could you even define what a "model" is supposed to look like? 

I think not.

I'll be 68 years old in a few weeks, go take a look at what I have done and then come back and tell me again what a model is. I definitely don't fit anyone's first visualization of what a "model" should look like.  So I guess that makes me unconventional as well. 

Whatever, I have plenty of fun with what I do and am absolutely amazed at the number of artists and photographers who I have posed for over the past 33+ years, and I still have plenty of people wanting me to work with them.

BTW you look just fine, and what you are showing proves that you are indeed a model.

Jul 16 20 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

nolongerhere

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

I wouldn't call you strange looking, just nicely individual. As photographer and artist I prefer models with an individual, even unique look. If a model is conventionally, stereotypically gorgeous there is certainly no challenge in creating beautiful images of her, which is what she will generally want. It is more of a creative experience to work with someone who is not a typical model type.

Jul 17 20 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I work with models if I like their look.

Jul 18 20 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

DTP - Photography

Chesapeake, Virginia, US

I like that photo of you in red. It's a great pose and a nice connection with the camera.

Jul 30 20 08:21 pm Link

Model

Beatrix Devine

Dallas, Texas, US

What I love about being in the alternative and fetish community is that you can really look ANY kind of way and be accepted. We rejoice in what is taboo, unique, and strange! As a model, what's important to know is your audience, what style you're catering towards, and where you want to grow. I'm a tattooed fetish model - I'm not looking to be on a Milan runway (unless they've got a latex show...I would try to be ALL over that ;D)

So just keep doing you! Do what makes you happy, make the art you want to create, and those who appreciate that different kind of beauty will be drawn to it. Don't be deterred by what is 'expected' of a model.

Aug 08 20 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

DTP - Photography wrote:
I like that photo of you in red. It's a great pose and a nice connection with the camera.

This one?
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/200710/20/5f092ff9d7977_m.jpg

Yes, I like it also.

Aug 08 20 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

DTP - Photography

Chesapeake, Virginia, US

Mark Salo wrote:

This one?
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/200710/20/5f092ff9d7977_m.jpg

Yes, I like it also.

Yes it's a great angle for her. Plus it's usually eyes that draw me into a photo and she does a good job of that here.

Aug 08 20 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Dozer

Palm Springs, California, US

Several years ago, I booked a shoot with a model from San Diego purely based on her "unusual" look that for some reason really appealed to me.  Her hair was shaved on both sides of her head and the rest of her hair was 3' long dread locks going down her back (there are a couple photos of her in my portfolio).  I had a great time working with her and got some great images from that shoot.  A couple of years later, I wanted to try to shoot with her again and we set up a shoot time.  When she arrived, what a shock.  Short platinum blond hair, but still a great much more "conventional" look.  Another great shoot together.  I've ended up getting images of her at both shootings with completely different looks getting recognized/published in well known international photographic competitions.  Win/win both times.

Jan 24 21 08:23 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
All humans are "strange looking", no?

Well, except for the "normal" ones.

Haven't met one of those yet.

ya know..exceptionally good looking people (models, actors, etc) are in the vast minority - they are the outliers ...they are the freaks
people like me are the norm....

*he says to himself every morning to feel better*

Jan 27 21 09:00 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Phoenix Fires Burn wrote:

Thank you. I just feel like I don't look like a model but then I shoot women who don't really look like models either! smile

A whole bunch of us don't look like VS models or what lay persons perceive to be a typical model.
In fact, I once posted a candid with a fellow model friend and the photographers asked which one of us was which.

A good paint job, lighting and knowing your "good" angles go a long way.
I look nothing like my images when i go to the grocery

As far as getting work, especially in the fetish realm, i recommend FetLife.

Good luck. Don't forget to have fun.

Feb 05 21 11:26 am Link