Forums > Model Colloquy > What should my first message say?

Photographer

Formerly-BeScene

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Hi, I'm brand new here. My portfolio is mainly travel,landscapes, and product photography. I have tons of client photo's and photo's of my wife/family but I don't like to mix those in with my "professional" efforts, and none include model's or the type of work that I WANT to shoot. I'm having an issue getting replies to Availability Notices and I assume my lacking port has something to do with it (that's what i came here to fix.)

So what do models like to see in an initial contact from someone new like me? What should be included and what is too much?

Jul 24 20 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

What you have got so far (i.e. the two landscapes and the three young women) is a good start in that is shows that you have some ability (it is surprising how many would-be photographers have no eye), which is the first thing that a model is likely to consider. 

I would not hold back on posting photos of family, provided they are not just snapshots.

Consider paying a few models to accumulate some of the genres that you want to photograph (but do make sure that the model is worth paying, because not all models are).

Jul 25 20 12:02 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Family/friends: do not post images of anyone under 18 years old on MM. Ever.

Hire some good models. Read their profiles carefully. Some will work with inexperienced model photographers. You cannot be afraid of rejection. Use your free trial VIP membership to contact models you find in your area using the browse function.

Most likely, you will need to offer cash compensation to these experienced models.

Working with an inexperienced model will likely teach you some bad habits. Avoid that. The good experienced models will help you learn good habits working with models.

Another good way to get started is looking for workshops in your area. Depending on the organizer, you will likely be able to walk away from these workshops with decent images, and you'll have made contacts with multiple models in your area for future solo shoots.

Jul 25 20 12:42 am Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

Eric212Grapher wrote:
Working with an inexperienced model will likely teach you some bad habits. Avoid that. The good experienced models will help you learn good habits working with models.

Start with few experienced models but also shoot with inexpericeced models.

As a photographer it's your job to guide models. Experienced models have their own "set of poses" so you will get lots of keepers ( just point and click ) but you don't learn how to direct the model.

Jul 25 20 01:15 am Link

Photographer

Formerly-BeScene

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thanks for the replies! I have booked with a few models (paid) since joining. First of which I'm shooting tomorrow.

I was just wondering what structure/information/etc. is most likely to garner a reply from the initial contact. I've had quite a few open, read, ignore, and I'm trying to make sure my messages aren't lacking or over sharing lol.

Do you discuss concept, payment, or location in these "cold calls"? If so do you mind giving me an example? Are there other things that need to be addressed? What do you save for follow up messages?

Jul 25 20 06:02 am Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

Read the models profile before messaging.
Some models have a list of things they like know so give that information.

Tell them what you want to shoot, where and when.

Ask them if they are interested and available.

Models do not like haggling so if they ask more than you willing to pay then say sorry, thats more than I can pay.

Jul 25 20 06:22 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

I use 'Browse' function and look for new models in my area.

When I see one who I think has potential I send her a message. I might start with saying that I like her look and would like to shoot some headshots and casual fashion with her. I ask is she would be open to doing a trade shoot with me for images. If she agrees, I might try and find a MUA to assist, even if I have to pay her. That shows the model you are serious about getting the best images for both of you.

Later messages can discuss location, time and wardrobe choices. I always read the model's profile to get a feeling if they are serious and what kind of image they are looking for so you can be prepared to shoot those looks as well as what you are looking for.

I don't agree that the landscape photos in your portfolio help you, I would post additional images of friends if you have them.

Jul 25 20 06:25 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

As a model I expect enough information in the first contact for me to be able to determine whether it's something I want to pursue or not.  You don't have to write a dissertation, but things like concept, location, time frame, and whether or not compensation is offered all need to be in the first communication.

A photographer who is well known in the MM community and has really good model photos to see in their portfolio can sometimes get away with "do you have any interest in working together within the next few months" but for everyone else, more information is necessary.

You'll find that many times you won't get any response from the models you contact.  To some people, that's unprofessional but it's been discussed many times in these forums that in this day and age, no reply is simply to be taken as "no" and nothing else is to be read into it.  Some models say they are quite busy, having full time jobs and families in addition to modelling, so they simply don't have time to respond to offers they aren't interested in.

I also agree with the previous replies advising you to hire a few experienced models to get good photos to add to your portfolio, and that at some point you also need to work with beginners having little or no posing experience. You definitely have to learn the skill of directing poses to get what you want because you can usually see things that the model can't from her perspective.  The really experienced models understand posing, light and shadow, and composition, and can easily go from pose to pose giving you the ability to just shoot what they present.  You need to be able to direct a beginner model to get exactly that same level of quality poses. Might as well start working on it after gaining confidence from the experienced models and learning from the photos you take what makes a good pose work.

Also, note that this is a modeling website so your travel and landscape photos which don't feature models in them really have no place in your MM portfolio as they aren't showing your skills in photographing people.  I'd suggest replacing them with model photos after you do those photo sessions you have scheduled.

Jul 25 20 06:30 am Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Not being familiar with your state I had to see where you are and a MMSearch of your area indicates 15 models within 50 miles but you are centrally located between two major cities.

I would send a honest message that you are an experienced photographer just getting into the portrait and glamour genre and are looking for experienced models to work with and inquire about their rates and when their availability is ( weekdays, weekends ). and go from there.

In my experience usually models that do nudes are more responsive even if that is not a genre you are looking for along with those that are really here to make money.

Jul 25 20 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Formerly-BeScene

Atlanta, Georgia, US

All wonderful advice! Thanks all!

Jul 25 20 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I've been working as a model since 2007.

Even with Covid and the art schools closed, I do not with to spend time going over incomplete casting calls.
If you want to work with a model and come across as professional, than treat it just like your business.
You would not book a commercial client with no info????
What info do you need to book a portrait client???
Use that same platform/info to book models.

What do you want to shoot?
Studio location
Date/time
Pay
Wardrobe..... yada yada yada

Those sorts of things, models and photographers both need the same info to do the jobs.

Jul 25 20 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

There's the joke about the old guy and the trainer at the gym old guy says which of these machines will best help me attract the ladies the trainer says the atm in the lobby, I personally haven't had a lot of success either when I first started it is a catch 22 you have to have a portfolio to attract people to work with you especially tfp so the best thing is be wiling to pay but don't forget to negotiate , I spent a little time trying to come up with a honest introduction and what I was hoping to achieve and pretty much just copy and attach when I contact a new person I would like to work with, some of them I mention pay some tfp.

Jul 25 20 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Sorry ... Double Post.

Jul 26 20 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

I think this is a good read. It may answer your question/s.

https://expertphotography.com/find-free-for-models/

See:
Section 3. Here's the message I send.

Jul 26 20 07:40 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

I am not a professional and shoot for fun, but always collaborated with paid, model and do best with creative models.
We start with few props and concepts and just go and have fun.. On some occasions some models have even staid extra time just for the fun of it! (I also provide them with snacks and refreshments).. This is a question I ask prior the final arrangements.

Jul 26 20 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

I am not a professional and shoot for fun, but always collaborated with paid, model and do best with creative models.
We start with few props and concepts and just go and have fun.. On some occasions some models have even staid extra time just for the fun of it! (I also provide them with snacks and refreshments).. This is a question I ask prior the final arrangements.

Jul 26 20 12:41 pm Link