Forums > Critique > Alt Model - Would Love Critique On New Photo!

Model

Beatrix Devine

Dallas, Texas, US

Hello All,

I've been working on angles in shiny materials lately (PVC, Latex, Etc.), gaining more shine lines, and also general more intriguing composition. I would love people's opinions on my new photo!

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/200808/07/5f2eb5c5a8817_m.jpg

Aug 08 20 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

You disappear into the shadows.  The photo does nothing for me.

Aug 08 20 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Here is a link to the larger image:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/200808/07/5f2eb5c5a8817_m.jpg

Yes, you blend into the background. While that large lace shawl just screams for attention.

Aug 08 20 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Agree with above posts

Aug 08 20 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

You're pretty, but have to "3rd" the above mentioned points. It's very - "took this."   Curious, though; did the photographer have any say in the construct of these images or did you delegate what, where and how?  Was there any creative input from the photographer regarding angle, composition, etc?

Aug 08 20 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

The photographer appears to have difficulty with focus. Conceptually, it is not up to the standard of other photos. There is no play of light and shadow that might lift the image out of its uncertain conception.  I'm curious about your claim to copyright on your photos--did you pay the photographers for copyright? Did they sign some document assigning copyright to you?

Aug 08 20 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

LA StarShooter wrote:
The photographer appears to have difficulty with focus. [snip]

I was going to say it looks a little soft.

Was this a remote shoot?  Self shot?

Aug 09 20 07:09 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

What they all said.

Composition's a mess. Black on black is bad enough. Most of you disappears., That white shawl and that sash around your waist stand out like traffic cones for the eyes, Softness of focus is a problem, but it's the least of that image's problems.

You've done much better work and this image doesn't belong.

Aug 13 20 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

I agree. You are not separated enough from the background. I also think that you look out of focus but the props are sharp which is weird. Lastly, in my opinion, the picture could've been executed with more artistic flair. You went through all the trouble of putting the outfit together and dealing with hair and makeup and then the picture was shot very straight forward. The way it was shot dulls down the entire idea I think.

Aug 13 20 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

First of all, it's nice to have something to comment on, so thank you.
However, I think everything has been said.  I don't disagree with the comments.  If I had shot this, it never would've made it past my initial cut for reasons of virtual composition [low detail in shadows and misplaced brightness] and improper focus, even if the concept was within my range of interest.  I don't want to seem over-critical, but an artist friend of mine once advised me to make sparing use of the caption but to convey my message through image content.  I will pass that advice on to you.

Aug 14 20 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Krpphoto

Cape Coral, Florida, US

My first impression was similar to others. She blends too much with the background. Also the latex and and white are sexy objects but the problem is they are facing away from the viewer . I do really like your profile image a lot more because the outfit, arms fingers body stance and facial makeup demand attention - to a guy anyway. If anything try a more frontal view of the image you are asking about and put a brighter background behind her and see how it comes out.

Feb 03 22 10:03 am Link