Forums > Model Colloquy > Friend wants to apply to agency with no experience

Model

taylorashleigh

Arlington, Virginia, US

My friend has never done a photo shoot in her life and she is in her mid to late thirties. She has a scheduled photoshoot arranged, but after that one shoot she is going to apply to modeling agencies, we do not even know if she is photogenic. She is pretty, somewhat tall and skinny so I think she has potential, but do you think she should apply right away or gain more experience and expand her portfolio before applying?

Aug 27 20 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I think that she should gain more experience and improve her portfolio!

Aug 27 20 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

There's no harm in her applying to an agency. The worst they can do is say no. Well, they could laugh derisively at her and hurl office supplies at her on her way out, but that's unlikely.

Aug 27 20 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Since when has experience been a prerequisite to applying to an Agency?

Aug 28 20 03:06 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

taylorashleigh wrote:
My friend has never done a photo shoot in her life and she is in her mid to late thirties. She has a scheduled photoshoot arranged, but after that one shoot she is going to apply to modeling agencies, we do not even know if she is photogenic. She is pretty, somewhat tall and skinny so I think she has potential, but do you think she should apply right away or gain more experience and expand her portfolio before applying?

Digitals are what agencies like to see. For a model her age a portfolio is a good idea but it needs to live up to agency standards. If she has a big instagram following that may matter a lot.

Aug 28 20 03:14 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

It depends on her. Her attitude, drive and how well she deals with rejection. Rejection is the norm but does not mean it is your destiny. hopefully she will have researched the agencies in the area and picked one that suits her looks and goals.

Aug 28 20 06:42 am Link

Photographer

WEST IMAGE

Agoura Hills, California, US

An agency will know in about the first three to five seconds upon meeting whether she has the potential and marketability that suits their needs.  She doesn't need a book at all in order for them to determine this. 

They will know if it's no or if it's yes that quickly.  Without seeing her it's hard to even guess at her actual potential, but the reality is that it depends on the agency itself.  There are agencies and then there are agencies.  The legit and the scammers.

If it's a borg-ish photo mill agency odds are they'll show immediate interest, tell her it's imperative to act now and sign on, then set her up with a series of photo shoots (with their photographer) that she'll have to pay for - after her initial down payment - in order to skip the red tape and fast track her into becoming a model faster than usual because, "there's this great submission coming up" but she has to be a model with them first to even be considered...  (Insert whatever timeframe/countdown/sense of urgency act now excuse applies to get money out of her then and there.)

The Local, Popular, No Real Work Agency:  (Also Photo Mill-esque but more clandestine)
They'll sign anyone even remotely model-ish because "number of signed models" means success despite most of their shoots being focused directly on showcasing the agency itself with no real brand or marketing connections beyond intermittent local magazine or mall fashion shows here and there. 

Hopefully that's not the case but it's ridiculously common; especially in non-industry regions where there isn't really any modeling work being done.

Either way, she won't need a portfolio to get to that point regardless of the agency type.

Aug 28 20 08:09 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

As far as I know the New York top agencies want photos that are straight forward, no make up, hair styling, special lighting etc. Head shot face and profile, upper body, and full figure in a bikini and again no photoshopping of any kind!!
Then, they can decide if the model as potential.
But beware of some scammers who would recommend their photographer, make the model pay $$$ for the shoot and the model will not hear from the agency again....

Aug 31 20 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh O Malley

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

Tell her to email photos in to agencies.  Really basic shots no makeup like in a tank top or something. Decent lighting, maybe daylight not overexposed.  Maybe tell her to take the shots in the very early morning or late afternoon.  It's not too important as long as it's a reasonably okay photograph.

They'll show no interest or some.

The ones that do that are legit will never ask for money for shoots.  The scammy ones will.

No offense to your friend but unless she's gorgeous (and you say you're not sure of it) she sounds too old to start modeling.

Aug 31 20 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

taylorashleigh wrote:

If she has the absolute look that they or people like/want, then you don't even need a snap shot, they will sign you in a heart beat.

Aug 31 20 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

taylorashleigh wrote:

It's hard to imagine what her portfolio looks like. Do you suppose that she is interested in some TFP?

Sep 01 20 07:56 am Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

You don’t know until you try, I hope that she’s booked a talented photographer and gets a few images. An Agency will judge if she has a sellable look and personality. Let us know what happens.

Sep 02 20 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

I assume that your friend would like to get commercial work, as opposed to thinking that she is an upcoming fashion model.  If she gets a few good commercial shots, that could be helpful.  But a bunch of shots of her in various outfits standing, sitting and leaning while trying to look "becoming" or alluring probably won't be of any use.  She can research what commercial shots are about but she can go to an agency without experience or a portfolio.

Sep 03 20 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Antonio Barros

Paris, Île-de-France, France

I worked in model agencies and I can tell you that she doesn't even need to make a shoot before applying to model agencies.

She just needs to send digitals/polaroids.

If the agency thinks she has potential, they will find tests for her.

Sep 05 20 02:55 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Double Post.

Sep 10 20 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

I realise your friend is only in her mid to late 30's, but this may be of some help:

How to make it as a 40+ model
https://www.modelmayhem.com/education/m … a-40-model

Sep 10 20 10:48 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

taylorashleigh wrote:

Hi,
I'm not with an agency and hadn't been signed to one in over 29 years or so but, when I wanted to apply as a mature model a few years ago most all agency sites had a section for new talent.
That section will usually request your stats and some unedited photos showing head shot, profile, full body and so on. None asked for experience.
I say go for it, and go for it again too. I had a couple of places have initial interest but my day job kind of got in the way of that. Now, it is a couple years later and who knows, maybe I can try in a few more years.
Jen

Sep 13 20 03:55 pm Link

Model

JessyG

London, England, United Kingdom

As a talent scout for The Beautiq Talent Agency, I would say she does not need experience necessarily, however like someone stated above, a decent portfolio is recommended just in order to catch the eye! You dont need to have had loads of paid roles behind you, but just showing what you can do in front of the camera is enough, and ensure you send all measurements and details of yourself also!

A lot of agency's actually prefer new faces, so dont really care about experience 80% of the time, however for larger agencies, they will want some proof you can actually model before signing you, so it really does depend on the agency!

As long as you have a few different shots, good quality and showing your features clearly.. this will be enough normally. Hope this helps!

Sep 18 20 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Teila K Day Photography

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

taylorashleigh wrote:

Experience isn't a requisite.  And business isn't predicated on what you think unless you're running the business.  Age doesn't matter to a business that needs a model if that model/face/body/collective look... can bring something to the table that positively affects the brand or bottom line.

"We don't even know if she's photogenic.."    Who the heck is "we?"   She's either going to be attractive economically or isn't.  She can look like the bottom of a bus... but if an agency or business thinks she can be a business-positive, then she's in.  That's just business 101 stuff.

She's in her 30's and if she wants to apply to agencies (as if there isn't far more important things to be concerned about besides what she's doing in her life) then great!  I hope she has fun!   More power to her; whether she gets a look in her direction or not from the powers-that-be.

Best in modeling/photography to all of you

Feb 24 21 12:02 am Link

Photographer

JUSTIN GILL PHOTO

Los Angeles, California, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
Since when has experience been a prerequisite to applying to an Agency?

This.

I personally know several models who were "discovered" with zero previous experience.

Many agents actually LOVE to work this way; it helps them get street cred for having a knack to pluck girls off the street and put them into major brand campaigns.

- Justin
www.justingillphoto.com

Sep 11 21 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Columbia, Maryland, US

There will be no harm is her applying. Models do get signed with 0 experience.... it depends on her look.

Sep 13 21 03:48 pm Link