Forums > Critique > Color or black and white

Photographer

mtornwall

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

I did color and B&W versions of several of my nude portraits. Personally I tend to like the B&W best, but Im curios what other people think works best. Im immensely grateful for all feedback!
Thanks in advance/Mikael

Sep 23 20 03:58 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

I think B&W is wonderful for nudes. One only needs to look at the classical work of Edward Weston to see its beauty.  However I think your B&W conversions are a bit weak in tonal quality. That is very subjective, I realize, but I like stronger tones.

Sep 23 20 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Rough Hewn Images

Salem, Oregon, US

It's all a matter of your taste and the image.  Some images lend themselves better to color, and some better in B&W.

I can't tell you which is better either way.  It is something you as the artist needs to decide what works best for what you are presenting.

Sep 25 20 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Personally I like to shoot specific lighting and or concepts for either in advance, but occasionally I'm disappointed at how ordinary the best laid plans can work out.
If nothing jumps out at you as being amazing in either, perhaps a reshoot is called for?

Oct 06 20 05:36 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

mtornwall wrote:
Personally I tend to like the B&W best, but Im curios what other people think works best.

I would need to see what the color images look like in order to make a comparison. I'm not prepared to make a blanket statement as to which looks best.

Oct 06 20 01:48 pm Link