Forums > Model Colloquy > Modeling and Addiction

Model

Manda W

Phoenix, Arizona, US

"When I still see a measuring tape, I freak out. I cringe. Like, get that away from me. Cause I grew up with that. You know, I'm 13 years old when I get discovered and, I'm Latin, my body started developing. And, like now, thank God that women are accepted curvy and different and unique. You know, we're all individually different."

"Cocaine helped me a lot. It helped me cope. I remember that first line. I'll never forget. When I did that first line, I was hooked. Cocaine gave me a heartbeat like nothing else ever has. In the end, it brought me to my knees and betrayed me." 

These are quotes from my interview with Jennifer Gimenez. She's a former Victoria's Secret, Calvin Klein and Guess Model, has starred in movies such as Blow, Charlie's Angels Full Throttle and Vanilla Sky, was on Sober House with Dr. Drew, The Bold and the Beautiful and Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.

This is what happens when two models and former addicts sit down and chat. I was super excited to do this interview, but I'm also excited for other models and professionals to share THEIR body image or addiction struggles as related to the industry. Start a convo on the video. Share your story. Ask questions. The whole point of my channel is to break the stigma of any and all mental health disorders. My next interview is with Jamie Bennington (Chester Bennington's son.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWBolGCgG6w

Oct 21 20 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

Nice interview, she was really very open about everything. I also was devastated about chesters death, what a loss.
anyways I read online she is being tested for cancer now, sending prayers.

Oct 21 20 08:57 pm Link

Model

Manda W

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
Nice interview, she was really very open about everything. I also was devastated about chesters death, what a loss.
anyways I read online she is being tested for cancer now, sending prayers.

Thank you. That is my aim is to have people open up. Chester's son and I talked for four hours! It was very cathartic for me and eye opening in so many ways.

Oct 22 20 07:31 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

Good job on the interview.
As an aside, there have been a number of famous photographers who have been drug abusers.

Oct 23 20 09:09 am Link

Model

Manda W

Phoenix, Arizona, US

63fotos wrote:
Good job on the interview.
As an aside, there have been a number of famous photographers who have been drug abusers.

What a wonderful perspective! Would you know any names right off? I think it would be wonderful to get their perspective as well.

Oct 23 20 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

modeling (and photography) is addiction by itself already.
simply by definition of addiction, as "the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity."

great video

looks like all living (and dead) humans experience the complex mixture of both inferiority and superiority complices.
even the most established, elite, published super-models (especially them!).
a look (outside, NOT inside) is not what it seems.
I love to read the memoirs, diaries and history of the industry. very revealing, very educational.

and NOTHING changes, basically,
the same bunch of problems rule (and sometimes even ruin) our lives.
just on the different level, or in the slightly different (from historic perspective) environment.

and it's basically incurable, to be honest, to the very core, at least (not talking about the real drugs here, but rather about psychology problems).

Oct 24 20 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Just to be clear to the previous poster

Addiction is  the state of being compulsively committed to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

I don't think that is the case with most photographers or models

Oct 25 20 12:59 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

Manda W wrote:

What a wonderful perspective! Would you know any names right off? I think it would be wonderful to get their perspective as well.

Rather than list names, I will post a link to an article about it.
https://fstoppers.com/documentary/creat … use-523938

Oct 25 20 09:41 am Link

Model

Manda W

Phoenix, Arizona, US

63fotos wrote:

Rather than list names, I will post a link to an article about it.
https://fstoppers.com/documentary/creat … use-523938

Thank you!

Oct 28 20 08:13 pm Link