Forums > Model Colloquy > TFP- What’s acceptable as a minimum MP image size?

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

My question is directed to models who accept Time-For-Print (TFP) as compensation.

Background info:

TFP is accepted by some (not all) models as a form of compensation in return for their time spent modelling for photographers.

In the days of film, compensation was usually made in high quality 8"x10" and/or 11"x14" colour and/or black and white prints.

When digital cameras first started to appear, you had to really think about image resolution and what size print these early cameras were capable of producing. (A 6-megapixel camera was enough resolution to create a 4”x5” print, anything larger and the lack of quality would start to become noticeable.)

Fast forward to todays digital cameras and most now have a resolution greater than what's needed to print professional quality  8”x10” (Min. 5 megapixels) and 11”x 4” (Min. 6 megapixels) enlargements.

My Question:

By todays camera standards ... before agreeing to model for TFP work, do you have a minimum megapixel image size that you consider is appropriate as compensation?

Oct 30 20 07:27 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Camera Buff wrote:
My Question:

By todays camera standards ... before agreeing to model for TFP work, do you have a minimum megapixel image size that you consider is appropriate as compensation?

I hate to be another photographer answering questions that were for a model but I sometimes see models that require the RAW files, which is unacceptable to most photographers for many valid reasons. 

Another type of request often seen (by prospective clients in general including some models) is a requirement that the camera is at least X amount of pixels and 300dpi even though the photo(s) will only be displayed on a web page.

I'm pretty sure they make these requests because they've heard other people say "that's what you should do" and for no other reason.

Oct 30 20 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

When I first started shooting models, most of them wanted prints in a 9 X 12 size for their books.

When they started asking for digital images, I always sent both the full resolution file and one reduced for web use.

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't send them the full resolution size. I don't generally send web size any more as that is not requested.

I have never had a model ask what camera I shoot with or for a specific size/resolution file.

For a TF shoot, I don't have a problem sending RAW format files but there are few who request those, the ones that do are better re-touchers than I am.

For the OP...Is this a question you are getting from models?

Oct 30 20 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Camera Buff wrote:
My Question:

Red Sky Photography wrote:
For the OP...Is this a question you are getting from models?

Communication is so important. Don't ask us, ask the specific model.

Oct 30 20 08:33 am Link

Model

Rachel Jay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Mark Salo wrote:
Communication is so important. Don't ask us, ask the specific model.

Yes. This.

Oct 30 20 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

For the OP ... Is this a question you are getting from models?

No. This is a question I am addressing to experienced models who'll sometimes accept TFP in lieu of their monetary rate. 

Where I'm located,  I shoot with photogenic locals.  There are no 'real life' or 'specific' models for me to ask.

It's not a trick question. There are any number of threads, started by models and photographers, that discuss monetary pay rates. 

So if a professional model who does both PAO and TFP shoots quotes a $100 (+/-) an hour cash rate. How do they go about quoting on their hourly TFP rate?

Oct 30 20 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

Camera Buff wrote:

I guess that would depend where the model will use the images.

MM "Photos wider than 1000px will automatically be resized, which will also strip EXIF and color space info."
Instagram uses 1080 x 1350 pix.
OnlyFans has max. 6000 x 6000 pix.

So anything between those.

Oct 31 20 02:41 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

One out of 5 wasn't bad, good job!

Oct 31 20 04:54 am Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

Models do not post.

Oct 31 20 05:57 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

PHP-Photography wrote:

Models do not post.

Now that we've run off all the models I vote we change the name of this thing to Photographer Mayhem.

Oct 31 20 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

PHP-Photography wrote:

MM "Photos wider than 1000px will automatically be resized, which will also strip EXIF and color space info."
Instagram uses 1080 x 1350 pix.
OnlyFans has max. 6000 x 6000 pix.

Please let me clarify. My question isn't about resizing images for posting to web-based platforms. It's about what models may consider as fair compensation in image size (MP) for Time-For-Print work.

To hopefully avoid any debate over quantity, file format type and usage rights etc., I limited my question to simply asking ... what by todays standard of digital camera (e.g. 16MP) is the minimum image file size that a model might expect in return for a TFP collaboration?

Oct 31 20 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

Hey everybody has their feminine side.

Nov 01 20 04:51 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Angel House Portraits wrote:
Hey everybody has their feminine side.

Be that as it may, my question is directed at models and it is not gender specific.

Nov 01 20 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

PHP-Photography wrote:

Let's say a model agrees to waive their cash rate ($100hr +/-) to do a one hour TFP collaboration 

The photographer uses a 16MP camera and shoots in RAW. This means they’ll have complete control over their RAW images and can change almost everything (except lighting) like white balance, contrast, sharpness, colour saturation, etc. They can then convert their images to either JPEG or TIFF for other softwares to read them and could print at 16″ x 12″ with no problem.

So regardless of intended use for an image, be it on the web or producing prints, why limit the image size and/or file format a model receives as compensation.

I appreciate the point SayCheez! alludes to in regard to issues with providing RAW files. So what about converting the RAW file to TIFF (rather than a JPEG file).  Unlike JPEG, the TIFF file is an uncompressed, lossless format that can be re-saved without losing image quality.

The parameters and options for editing TIFFs are fixed and mostly limited to adjusting levels and curves etc.. TIFF is also an ideal format to quickly print high quality images.

Nov 01 20 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

I have never had a model ask what camera I shoot with or for a specific size/resolution file.

For a TF shoot, I don't have a problem sending RAW format files but there are few who request those, the ones that do are better re-touchers than I am.

As I've said, I have never worked with a 'real' model, and I've never had a photogenic local ask me this question.

The only person to ask what size MP camera I shoot with was an Art Director for a local Ad Agency. Back then, in the early days of digital cameras, he was looking for a specific size/resolution file for a series of poster prints.

I recall taking my first digital camera (a Nikon Coolpix 990) as backup to my film cameras to shoot some candid shots for a Holiday Resort Brochure. https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/46611569

After seeing me with my 3MP digital camera, the Resort’s Manager was so concerned/upset he promptly went and called my Ad Agency to complain.

As soon as I could afford it, I upgraded to a 4MP Olympus E-10 and soon after to a 5MP Olympus E-20.

Nov 01 20 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

PHP-Photography wrote:
Models do not post.

But models do read!

Those models who do try to participate often have their comments/opinions taken out of context and/or the respondents put their own spin on what the model has said, or attempted to say.

Whether it's intentional behaviour or not, I can't safely say, but it possibly has a bit to do with why models are reticent about participating in the forums.

Nov 01 20 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Nov 02 20 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

My thanks to those who have participated in this thread to date.

However, I lack enthusiasm, motivation and the time to continue participating in the MM forums.

I have decided to take a time-out.

Cheers!

Nov 02 20 04:35 am Link

Photographer

Romie Miller

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Image type and quality varies according to need.  As a rule for TFP shoots, I provide all the best images in srgb 8-bit.jpg form sized to 5 x 7" in Photoshop medium quality (7) settting for Internet use.   If the model is going to print a portfolio  I make them Adobe rgb 16-bit files sized to 11 x 17" and Photoshop maximum quality .jpg.  That's usually about 10 mb or so  Should the model want photo prints, (paid for) I make them from 16-bit .tif files at Photoshop maximum quality sized to whatever size they want.  I shoot only full frame raw files and work from there.  I hope this helps.

Nov 09 20 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Romie Miller wrote:
Image type and quality varies according to need.  As a rule for TFP shoots, I provide all the best images in srgb 8-bit.jpg form sized to 5 x 7" in Photoshop medium quality (7) settting for Internet use.   If the model is going to print a portfolio  I make them Adobe rgb 16-bit files sized to 11 x 17" and Photoshop maximum quality .jpg.  That's usually about 10 mb or so  Should the model want photo prints, (paid for) I make them from 16-bit .tif files at Photoshop maximum quality sized to whatever size they want.  I shoot only full frame raw files and work from there.  I hope this helps.

Thank you Romie.

Nov 11 20 06:06 pm Link

Model

Shura

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

If I shoot with someone TFP basis, I would expect similar size/quality as what the photographer would do for paid shoot, with maybe slightly less retouching and maybe fewer photos. The model's time is valuable too and it was an agreement made. But I have been starting to do photography myself too and would expect the same from myself as a photographer. Just because the model did not pay me, doesn't mean she doesn't get quality. Plus, if she posts photos stating I was the photographer, I want them to actually be of good quality. I would never demand raw files. I would offer to do editing at times, but I am better at editing than some of the people I've shot with and have better software, and my mentor can do some neat things too. For that it would be better to have raw file, but I would never demand it. I will not print though and will not demand prints. Digital only.

Nov 13 20 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Shura wrote:
If I shoot with someone TFP basis, I would expect similar size/quality as what the photographer would do for paid shoot, with maybe slightly less retouching and maybe fewer photos. The model's time is valuable too and it was an agreement made. But I have been starting to do photography myself too and would expect the same from myself as a photographer. Just because the model did not pay me, doesn't mean she doesn't get quality. Plus, if she posts photos stating I was the photographer, I want them to actually be of good quality. I would never demand raw files. I would offer to do editing at times, but I am better at editing than some of the people I've shot with and have better software, and my mentor can do some neat things too. For that it would be better to have raw file, but I would never demand it. I will not print though and will not demand prints. Digital only.

Hi Shura, Thank you for your informed input, gained from your experiences on both sides of a camera.

Nov 13 20 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Camera Buff wrote:
. . . I lack enthusiasm, motivation and the time to continue participating in the MM forums.

Nov 14 20 07:05 am Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

The acceptable minimum size is 1.62

Nov 14 20 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Mark Salo wrote:

Camera Buff wrote:
. . . I lack enthusiasm, motivation and the time to continue participating in the MM forums.

I am being polite and simply thanking those who have 'kindly' responded to my topic.

Do you have a problem with being polite?

Nov 14 20 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

veypurr wrote:
The acceptable minimum size is 1.62

FYI, the acceptable minimum size today is 1.68, but let's stay on point!

Nov 14 20 03:33 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Camera Buff wrote:
FYI, the acceptable minimum size today is 1.68, but let's stay on point!

I am staying on point. The name of this thread is "TFP- What's acceptable as a minimum MP image size?"

Answering the question is not staying on point?

Nov 14 20 05:23 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

i cant recall anyone sending me an image I actually wanted to use that was too small/low quality so I've never had to think about what I'd consider bare-minimum.

As a photographer I usually upload and send 1024s or 2048s. nobodies ever asked me for bigger.

Nov 15 20 01:26 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Laura UnBound wrote:
i cant recall anyone sending me an image I actually wanted to use that was too small/low quality so I've never had to think about what I'd consider bare-minimum.

As a photographer I usually upload and send 1024s or 2048s. nobodies ever asked me for bigger.

Hi Laura, Thanks for commenting.

In the past,  (as a minimum) I'd deliver 8 ×10 inch prints for TFP work.

Today, I deliver digital files of 2400pixels x 3000pixels (at 300dpi = 8×10 inch prints).

This way, if a model wants or needs an 8 x 10, they’re able and welcome to print their own.

Nov 16 20 07:35 am Link