Forums > Contests > So all your friends voted for the pic of the day..

Photographer

Rev Reynolds

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

but your pic is second rate, is that a win or a bad contest.?

Dec 05 20 02:29 am Link

Photographer

TJ Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

Well, your cynicism and frustration may be warranted, to some extent, but there must be more to the contest winners than favoritism.  Frankly, I think it's more due to questionable tastes and lack of understanding by voters about what constitutes an image of real merit.  And most photographers I think are higher caliber don't bother to enter. There's a lot of mediocre and repetitive stuff being awarded in the POTD contest, though occasionally a more worthy image manages to rise to the top.  And I suspect roughly 75% of the voters are the same from day to day, yielding a predictable response that too often rewards images of a certain kind--common, technically and esthetically subpar, etc.

Dec 28 20 04:29 am Link

Photographer

DTP - Photography

Chesapeake, Virginia, US

TJ Photo wrote:
Well, your cynicism and frustration may be warranted, to some extent, but there must be more to the contest winners than favoritism.  Frankly, I think it's more due to questionable tastes and lack of understanding by voters about what constitutes an image of real merit.  And most photographers I think are higher caliber don't bother to enter. There's a lot of mediocre and repetitive stuff being awarded in the POTD contest, though occasionally a more worthy image manages to rise to the top.  And I suspect roughly 75% of the voters are the same from day to day, yielding a predictable response that too often rewards images of a certain kind--common, technically and esthetically subpar, etc.

Some of the same people win all the time and sometimes by a wide margin which makes me wonder what's happening behind the scenes. Everyone once in a while I'll submit, I won once and (that was better have won! tongue). I've had a couple of second place finishes but it's tough when the some of the same people win and by a large margin over second. I get it, some of those shots are outstanding and I can make better photos then so be it.

I had one guy email me for vote one day and he ended up winning, so I can only imagine who else voted for him.

Jan 09 21 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

DTP - Photography wrote:
I had one guy email me for vote one day and he ended up winning, so I can only imagine who else voted for him.

If so the message should have been flagged for Moderator review as it violates community rules.

Jan 12 21 05:13 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

I have never been solicited for a vote for pic of the day and was pretty confident in it.

There have been a few times when I was the only vote for an image and I just thought
there's only two people that appreciate that shot, the maker, and me.

Jan 14 21 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Jacksonville, Florida, US

DTP - Photography wrote:
Some of the same people win all the time and sometimes by a wide margin which makes me wonder what's happening behind the scenes. Everyone once in a while I'll submit, I won once and (that was better have won! tongue). I've had a couple of second place finishes but it's tough when the some of the same people win and by a large margin over second. I get it, some of those shots are outstanding and I can make better photos then so be it.

I think we have seen a lot of that lately. Not to say the images are not good but not so outstanding they are winning by the margins they are winning. I definitely agree there is some vote harvesting going on. I have never solicited a vote and never will.

Mar 22 21 08:03 am Link