Forums > Model Colloquy > out dated photos

Photographer

stevebri

New York, New York, US

A polite request from a pro photographer....

Hopefully we are beginning to see the back of Covid restrictions and I already have clients talking about shoots, dates and budgets.

What really holds us back when selecting a model for a test a go see or an actual job is how outdated her photos are..

When i see (time and time again) photos from 2009, 2011, 2016, we cannot take things further with photos that old.

Can you please think about updating your images to something more recent....?  Or.. reply on here and justify why you think old photos are good enough...?

Its no coincidence that the models who work and get paid the most, seem to have up to date images in their book..

S

Feb 26 21 07:01 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

No disrespect, Steve but its clear you are shooting agency faces or at least models who could be signed for fashion or commercial work.  Working models MUST have current strong work to show clients.  Take for example some of those who have tagged you with their rates.  Frankly, I wouldn't expect the average model here to have up to date imagery when they are asking to be paid and they find few willing customers and even fewer who produce solid photography.   If there is a model you are considering then its easy to ask them to send you a current photo then you check the metadata about the image and see when it was taken.

Feb 27 21 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

stevebri

New York, New York, US

I get your point Tony but why be on here...? I know a lot of girls sign up, do some shoots then let it fall by the wayside, I get that , but I wrote to 20 models politely asking for some or just one up to date photo.... still haven't had a single reply.

Its funny how the models working the most seem to update their photos and stay current.

On my portfolio on here 7 of the models came from here, some were quite some time ago but are still on here.

I suppose what I'm saying is that MM, PP etc now... in 2021 isn't what it was, FB, IG are more relevant and its easier for models to upload a few images to their feeds.  Also there are quite a lot more model agencies that work with what I call 'good to great' models, whereas before it was the big agencies then not a lot else...

But come on girls and boys... update your pics...

Steve

Mar 01 21 07:40 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

stevebri wrote:
A polite request from a pro photographer....

Hopefully we are beginning to see the back of Covid restrictions and I already have clients talking about shoots, dates and budgets.

What really holds us back when selecting a model for a test a go see or an actual job is how outdated her photos are..

When i see (time and time again) photos from 2009, 2011, 2016, we cannot take things further with photos that old.

Can you please think about updating your images to something more recent....?  Or.. reply on here and justify why you think old photos are good enough...?

Its no coincidence that the models who work and get paid the most, seem to have up to date images in their book..

S

Hi,
I don't have anything to update with.

I haven't done a shoot, to update my portfolio here with, since 2018 really. My nudes I had a couple of shoots in 2018 and that is it. I moved to Arizona in the fall of 2018 I haven't had any opportunities to shoot.

Mar 03 21 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Jen B wrote:
Hi,

I haven't done a shoot, to update my portfolio here with, since 2018 really. My nudes I had a couple of shoots in 2018 and that is it. I moved to Arizona in the fall of 2018 I haven't had any opportunities to shoot.

Youre awesome and anyone who would have a chance to work with you should gladly do so without having to see any images newer than 2 or 3 years. tongue

Mar 03 21 06:28 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Paolo D Photography wrote:

Youre awesome and anyone who would have a chance to work with you should gladly do so without having to see any images newer than 2 or 3 years. tongue

YOU are awesome to say that. smile! Thank you.

Gosh, now I turn 55 in a couple months, I sure hope I can get some more chances to model. I mean, I know times are hard and creative outlets are pushed to the edge of normal routines but my fingers are crossed! smile
Jen

Mar 03 21 08:36 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Jen B wrote:

Gosh, now I turn 55 in a couple months, I sure hope I can get some more chances to model. I mean, I know times are hard and creative outlets are pushed to the edge of normal routines but my fingers are crossed! smile
Jen

Are you sure you are 55 because you look like a young 32. Let me know when you are driving through New Mexico because I definitely want to shoot with you.

Mar 03 21 09:50 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Jen B wrote:
Jen

Just saying,  if I can still model at 68, then 55 is nothing........  things will improve and there will be more opportunities.  I think your location is a huge factor.

To touch on the original concern about the age of photos in one's portfolio, there is a wide range of interest among models, and among those who hire us. The majority of my work has been with student artists and photographers who really look for someone with experience in posing more than any other factor, and I also book with those doing it just for fun or who want to try out an interesting concept. Both of those groups of creatives are far more interested in seeing examples of what I have done, than they are in seeing photos taken last month.

I think there are a few things in my portfolio from  maybe 2006 or 7,  as well as one done as recently as last week.  They represent the work of more than 20 different creative people, in addition to several other models I posed alongside for some of the work. And if it matters, I continue to get at least one offer of work every month based mostly upon my older stuff seen here on MM, the most recent was just yesterday.

Mar 04 21 04:56 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Outdated or not, I welcome opportunities to view those images a model considers to be his/her best work. 

Besides, the best models' possess a chameleon like ability to transition from their everyday look into their on-camera persona.

Throw in some post editing manipulation to digitally enhance a model's physical appearance — a little younger here, a little shapelier there … and bam, suddenly you’re looking at a completely different looking person.

Having said that, it certainly helps when a model includes a recently taken head shot without any makeup or image retouching and a recent 3/4 to full length body shot wearing a swimsuit or other tight fitting outfit.

Mar 05 21 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Jen B wrote:

Jen

hahaha thanks. most members won't know or recognize that youre one of the very few models left from the awesome days of MM. back when everyone was friends and the site was popping. seemed like we all knew eachother then and had eachothers phone numbers. If im not mistaken i think we used to text occasionally too?! that had to been like 6-ish years ago

Mar 06 21 12:47 am Link

Photographer

woodpaint51

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

I'm surprised at the number of models here at MM, who last posted a modeling pic in 2012, and yet are 'active'. Same for those who joined in 2010, posted up 15 pics, and have not been back.  Does MM 'clean house' often on inactive profiles?

Oct 01 21 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

This may come as a surprise to many on MM but there's is a large world of modeling an d photography outside of MM and many that are making $$ at this have a large presence on various  social media platforms.

Take this model as an example she last posted on MM in 2015 When she had just over 2 million followers on IG, she now has 3.2 Million on IG and 1199 on MM . She just signed a major ad campaign for a well known fashion brand. We need to do our homework and frankly she is probably beyond the budget of 99% of the photographers on MM but many models are active on MM,IG, FB, OF and others. BTW her photos from 2013 are a true and accurate of her current look.

If the well is dry you look at other wells.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/2034812

https://www.instagram.com/leannabartlett/

Oct 06 21 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Paolo D Photography wrote:
...back when everyone was friends...

Buahahahaha... apparently you never hung out in the Soapbox forum when it existed.

Oct 06 21 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Jen B wrote:

Hi,

Ditto... I need no updates to shoot Ms Jen unless you had a drastic alteration like a missing leg from shark attack or sumpthin
big_smile

Oct 06 21 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

woodpaint51 wrote:
Does MM 'clean house' often on inactive profiles?

No Never

Oct 06 21 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

woodpaint51 wrote:
Does MM 'clean house' often on inactive profiles?

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
No Never

Yes, Sometimes, but not automatically. They will delete an old inactive account when a problem arises calling attention to it.

You control that on the browse function by selecting a time frame.
Logged in within:
365 days

Oct 06 21 09:09 pm Link