Forums > Critique > New product shots. Which one do you like best?

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Just shot these today. Let me know which one you prefer. I'm just curious. Thanks!

NUMBER 1
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/210420/21/607fa967cb00f_m.jpg

NUMBER 2
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/210420/19/607f8aede3c67_m.jpg

Apr 20 21 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

Long Beach, California, US

from an ARTISTIC point, I think top one wins hands down.
eye catching... its just *clean*.

But from a "sell stuff" standpoint, the second one may be more appealing to an actual consumer.
I guess it would depend if target buyer is "commercial, JC Penny" level, or for a splash in Cosmo

PS: also, something bugs me about the spacing on the lower one.
The powder spillover is creative an all... but the products next to it just feel too close somehow.
To me, it would probably feel better if there were either less spill-over, or a bit more space between them.
You might want to play around in photoshop to experiment wink

Apr 21 21 07:59 am Link

Retoucher

Old-timer

Moscow, Moscow, Russia

first)

Apr 23 21 02:18 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

My reaction to the two pictures is they are lifeless. Nothing draws my eye to the product. I also don't see any room for  text. I admire you for taking on a very difficult challenge in product photography!

Apr 24 21 07:45 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Philip Brown wrote:
from an ARTISTIC point, I think top one wins hands down.
eye catching... its just *clean*.

But from a "sell stuff" standpoint, the second one may be more appealing to an actual consumer.
I guess it would depend if target buyer is "commercial, JC Penny" level, or for a splash in Cosmo

PS: also, something bugs me about the spacing on the lower one.
The powder spillover is creative an all... but the products next to it just feel too close somehow.
To me, it would probably feel better if there were either less spill-over, or a bit more space between them.
You might want to play around in photoshop to experiment wink

Thank you! Much appreciated. They ended up going with the second one. Thank god I did two "looks". I sometimes never know what people will like, at all. I mean, I shot them and I still don't know what I would pick for me. Thanks again.

Apr 26 21 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Old-timer wrote:
first)

Thanks! :-)

Apr 26 21 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Weldphoto wrote:
My reaction to the two pictures is they are lifeless. Nothing draws my eye to the product. I also don't see any room for  text. I admire you for taking on a very difficult challenge in product photography!

Thank you! They didn't want shots with space for text. These are mainly for Instagram. They went with the second. Thanks for the feedback by the way! And yes, product photography is something else. I'm not brand new to it but I would for sure not call myself a pro. It is relaxing though to shoot products since I get to be on my own, listen to music and play around with placement and props. I wouldn't want to do it as a career but I'm happy doing it for now.

Apr 26 21 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Number 1.

May 10 21 08:27 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

P R E S T O N wrote:
Number 1.

Thanks!