Forums > Model Colloquy > Models and interactions.

Photographer

Rick Benda

Laguna Niguel, California, US

I'm curious and would like some help. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but so far my experience with MM models has been one of poor reliability. My recent shoot is a good example. I rented a pretty expensive studio and put a Casting Call out and was very specific that it was not paid but TF. A model accepted and 2 days before the Shoot I touch base with her and go over te details. She then says that she only does paid work. I was very clear and my casting call was very clear. OK I'm scrambling to try to fix. I texted 6 models and one texted back a day later and some a week later. I couldn't get the date changed so I finally hired a Model.  I was able to change the date back a week finally. I talked to the model and she was fine with the new date. I didn't want to go into the Shoot under pressure and no planning with her. She wanted a third of her fee and confirmation that the Studio was rented. I sent. The day of the Shoot comes. I drive to the studio early and am unpacking, setting up lights and just general stuff you have to do to be ready. Heres my question. I'm busy, I'm focused on getting everything dialed in. I look down and it's time but she's not there. I figure she's a little behind. I get busy and see she's half an hour late so I call her. I see she texted and called while I was setting lights up to confirm because she didn't want to waste money on an Uber ride if I wasn't there. I was busy,, I take responsibility  for not answering.. I said don't you think I was serious when I spent 500 on a studio and paid you a third up front. I paid her 100 so Uber would have been out of my money.  She at that point had no intentions of even coming late. I packed up and left. Please tell me if I'm at fault here because I can't keep losing money on Studio rentals. That the second out of 3 MM models That were no shows. I don't really care about fault. I just need to find out if I'm doing something wrong and need to change.

May 12 21 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Logic

Lewisville, Texas, US

I would guess that the model would have shown up if someone answered the phone when she called you.  If she wasn't planning to show up she would not have bothered to make that call.

I would say the solution is to answer calls and texts the day of the shoot.

May 12 21 10:18 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Because when you're setting up in a studio it can be easy to miss a call I would suggest upfront doing this: Tell them not to message you during setup time unless something has happened as you will be busy setting up and will only be available 30 minutes before start time-- or whatever you think is best in terms of your time management. The idea that someone takes a lot of money from you and then needs to call you to confirm when you have already told them you have paid to book studio time is someone who is making it tough for you.

I would be loathe to pay a deposit after the stories I have heard but since you will probably do this again, pay a model upfront--add a rider so then they understand your large financial and time involvement in preparation for a shoot that means the world to you, and that during setup time it is not necessary to call to confirm as you will not see the call. Make sure if they can't follow instructions that they give a refund as the studio can't always be merciful.

I hope this helps you.

May 12 21 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Richard Majerski

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

I would never rent a studio and book a model I never have worked with before.Best to build a repore with a model or two so you know they are reliable to show before committing to a larger shoot investment.You took a chance and got burned lesson learned.Plus not too many models are doing TF shoots these days and on the flip side some have priced themselves right out of sight.I have had a few times where I plan a shoot find a new model to shoot confirm the night before and they no show paid gig or not.Luckily they were outdoor shoots so no extra expense just lost time.Never contacted them again-one strike you're out.

May 12 21 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Omaroo

Madison, Wisconsin, US

My take, based upon experience. Unfortunately, there are a ridiculously high number of irresponsible and immature people on this site. You met one of them. She was paid 1/3 up front, it was her responsibility to be there. You communicated throughout the process and blaming this on not responding to a message during setup is a load of crap. If she shows up, as she should, and the photographer flakes, she did her part. She chose to not be POSSIBLY inconvenienced, which is a curious decision when someone has shown the level of professionalism and commitment that you did.

Nothing in this account, and I realize we only have one side, demonstrates that she did her responsible part. Sadly, the responses, to this point, are laying it on you. I disagree.

May 13 21 03:01 am Link

Photographer

Omaroo

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Are verbal contracts enforceable in California? (Does she owe YOU money back?)

https://www.stimmel-law.com/en/articles … nforceable

May 13 21 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I always confirm a shoot a day in advance and if it was scheduled more than a week in advance I would send an email or text a few days in advance as a reminder, just like my Credit card companies and insurance company do about upcoming bills.
Most people have busy lives, some are flighty or forgetful and when it is your money on the line it is your responsibility to provide gentile reminders.
I never book a studio for a model I have never worked with.

May 13 21 07:32 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

People on both sides of the lens can be unreliable. As such, many have developed strategies to minimize wasted time, one of which runs along the lines of, “I’ll attempt to confirm as I’m stepping out of the door/1 hour before/the night before/whatever. No answer = I’m not leaving home.”

You can argue that you were busy setting up, and that’s reasonable. But many who employ the above do so because they were previously burned by time and expense of getting to the prescribed location only to find that the other party was a no-show, so their protocol could be considered reasonable as well. I very often get MM messages/texts/calls/emails in the period shortly before call time, so I’ve learned over the years to have my phone with me, charged, on, and funneling all of those avenues even as I’m setting up.

You weren’t wrong. But over time, I expect you’ll build out a lot of checks and protocols for yourself, and a good deal of them will be based on previous unfavorable situations.

As others have suggested, investing (time or money or both) in unproven-to-you people or places is going to cost you a lot of $ and frustration.

May 13 21 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Logic

Lewisville, Texas, US

How difficult is it to have your phone on and in your pocket while setting up?  I go out of my way to make sure my phone is on me the day of the shoot just because I'm paranoid about the model not showing up...even though it hasn't happened to me yet.

There are a number of reasons a model might need to reach you the day of the shoot, such as:  flat tire, overslept, positive co-vid test, not feeling well, or she's lost and can't find the location.

May 13 21 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Personally I would Love to live in your area - especially for the Beautiful Natural Lights

And So Many Models to shoot with

( I was down there a few years ago , posted a casting call for LA and got over 200 responses ) and most of the ones i chose even followed through with their commitments

My advice - Start out Simple ( and Inexpensive ) Find a Good Model ( pay her a bit )  who doesnt have to travel far ( maybe you can go to her ) and do a simple outdoor shoot with her

Take some Good Photos of Her . Photos that Appeal both to her and to You

That is how you can start building a relationship with a Model that may lead to more elaborate ( and costly ) shoots

May 13 21 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Rick Benda wrote:
The day of the Shoot comes. I look down and it's time but she's not there. I figure she's a little behind. I get busy and see she's half an hour late so I call her. I see she texted and called while I was setting lights up to confirm.

Please tell me if I'm at fault here ..... I don't really care about fault. I just need to find out if I'm doing something wrong and need to change.

What you should now realise needs to change:
1. Keep your phone handy at all times.
2. Ensure your model has the contact number of the Studio, as a second option to call to confirm.
3. If you have a definite START time booked with a Studio, then ask your model to arrive beforehand and to be ready to start on time.
4. If your model isn't on site by starting time (at the very latest), then never, ever, wait another half an hour before you decide to call them.

May 14 21 03:08 am Link

Photographer

Omaroo

Madison, Wisconsin, US

This thread reminds me of the time I had an mp3 player stolen out of my desk drawer. I was told how stupid I was for keeping an mp3 player in my desk drawer in a business that had a very reasonable expectation of being a secure environment. Victim blaming has few parameters.

May 14 21 05:49 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Omaroo wrote:
This thread reminds me of the time I had an mp3 player stolen out of my desk drawer. I was told how stupid I was for keeping an mp3 player in my desk drawer in a business that had a very reasonable expectation of being a secure environment. Victim blaming has few parameters.

Sometimes people make unwise choices and when they do they increase the chance of becoming a victim . Providing some "Best practice" advice is not IMO blaming the victim.
Everything in life carries an element of risk and evaluating the potential consequences is part of being an adult.

May 14 21 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Huey Hughes

Suffolk, Virginia, US

Rick,

Take this as a wake-up call. From experience, if you are going to pay money out of your own pocket for anything, have a signed contract in your hand.  As the old saying goes: If its not in writing, it didn't happen.

Around 22 years ago, I booked a full array, i.e. studio, hair, make-up, grip, and my airfare and equipment shipping cost round trip from Norfolk to Tampa for a special purpose paid shoot.  The "Model" was a no show; dissapeared off of the face of the earth.

That was my own personal wake-up call.  Alarms sounded in my head.   Never again. 
No contract / no deposit / no shoot / no kidding.   TF is no exception.

H-H

May 14 21 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

3 Leaves Left Imaging

Hoboken, New Jersey, US

Come on, after the photographer missed the call he contacted her and after a half an hour she made other plans and couldn't come to the shoot? That seems unreasonable.

May 14 21 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

3 Leaves Left Imaging

Hoboken, New Jersey, US

In general, I will have to agree with Omaroo, there is a lot of victim blaming on these forums. Helpful advise is always welcome but sometimes I feel people get attacked needlessly.

May 14 21 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

LA StarShooter wrote:
Tell them not to message you during setup time unless something has happened as you will be busy setting up and will only be available 30 minutes before start time-- or whatever you think is best in terms of your time management.

Your suggestion is a sound, logical one, but, from my experience, I would not be optimistic that doing it would help.

The reason that I say this is that most of my shoots are in my swimming pool and I have to do several hours of preparation in the pool immediately before the shoot. Consequently, I do not have ready access to either a mobile phone or my computer before the model is scheduled to arrive.

The only way to be sure to contact me on the day of the shoot is via my landline because I will hear it ringing.

I make these facts clear to models before the shoot and again in a message the day before the shoot, and have been following this procedure for several years.

To date, not one model has acted on my advice, so I have learned that I must interrupt preparation several times, get dry, and go check for messages.  Sometimes there is a message to say that the model lost the address, is running late, or whatever.

May 14 21 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I was raised with the "my word is my bond" ethic, so when I first started working with internet models, it took me while to realise that a significant proportion of them deal in bad faith.

Some of them are merely capricious or inconsiderate and have no regard for your time or expenses. Others are downright predatory and enjoy toying with people.  An example of the latter is the model who did everything perfectly, including confirming the night before, then failed to turning up and ignored all subsequent efforts at communication.

I could add more examples to that list, but I think that you will get the idea.

As a result, I will no longer waste time travelling to meet a model unless we have already worked together, nor will I spend money specifically attached to a shoot with a new model. 

It is a disappointing and frustrating lesson to have to learn, but I suspect that it comes to most photographers.

May 14 21 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

3 Leaves Left Imaging wrote:
In general, I will have to agree with Omaroo, there is a lot of victim blaming on these forums. Helpful advise is always welcome but sometimes I feel people get attacked needlessly.

I disagree that in this thread, at least, many are blaming or attacking the OP. He seems to be asking if there are tactics he could change to avoid a similar situation. Several here have offered suggestions for said change. Those suggestions, I tend to believe, are largely a result of personal experiences of planned shoots gone sideways due to same or similar circumstances.

Rick Benda wrote:
...I don't really care about fault. I just need to find out if I'm doing something wrong and need to change.

May 15 21 07:35 am Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

In the future, state what the confirmation protocol will be in the contract with the model.  As others have said, don't spend $ on a location if it is the first time shooting with a given model.  Possible exception if she was referred by someone that you know personally..

May 15 21 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

G Wilson

Dallas, Texas, US

There are some really good suggestions here. I also try to maintain timely contact with models I've booked. However... I have to say that I believe that it may be the nature of the beast. I've worked with over a couple hundred models in 2020 alone... ( yes even with the dreaded CoVid) some from MM some not. Some paid, some TF, some clients that were paying me. It seems to make no difference of the scenario, models flake... probably one in six cancels or no shows even with same day confirmation.  I do everything everyone has suggested, maybe more, but over the years the numbers prove out.

May 15 21 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Omaroo

Madison, Wisconsin, US

3 Leaves Left Imaging wrote:

Amen. It's always "tell this guy how dumb he was". Where's her responsibility in all of this? He was the one who communicated well and we're going to blame him for not getting a text ASAP literally just prior to shoot time? Please.

May 17 21 10:13 am Link

Photographer

BQUINN

Rockford, Illinois, US

I never pay anything until "job completed" A good portion of the models on this site are unreasonable. they want full pay for cancelation, half pay for cancellation a week out. This is all bullshit, life happens, I get nothing when a model or a client cancels on me. There are some very good models on this site, ones which are successful and understand shit happens, seek the good ones, develop a relationship and stick with them

Jun 12 21 08:26 am Link

Retoucher

happynathan

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

Hello. My name is Nathan. I`m a professional high-end and beauty retoucher.
Specializing in photography post-production, high end retouching and creative enhancement of fashion, editorial, beauty, lookbook, product, swimwear etc.
You can see some of my works here:
Feel free to contact me here.
https://shendanian.myportfolio.com/
https://www.behance.net/shendanian0f2f
Commercial retoucher free production of card, portrait photo, series photo (3 / bit) over three needs taxesps post processing ,send pictures wiz name of photographer [email protected]

Aug 26 21 02:57 am Link