Forums > Critique > Critique

Photographer

SPVC3Y

Huntington Beach, California, US

Feel like looking at some work and offering my honest opinions. I'll comment on anything though I consider retouching my weakest category.

May 16 21 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Brosius Photographics

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Please do!

Mark

May 16 21 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

SPVC3Y

Brosius Photographics wrote:
Please do!

Mark

I feel like your portfolio would benefit greatly by reducing it to your best 10. To my eye I see an inconsistency, you have a wide range from outstanding to not so good.

This is gorgeous
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/46943030

This isn't in the same ballpark
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/46943095

I'm a fan of the off center composition but at times imo you get the subject a bit too close to the edge and it feels very heavy on that side. I'd personally add some negative space to both sides so its still dramatic but doesn't feel weighted to one side. This does not apply to shots where some body parts are cut off only shots where the model is entirely in the frame.

I like this crop
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/46943106

This one feels uncomfortable
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/46943148

Overall good thoughtful work, your great images are great. Both your work with color & b&w are strong. I think if you cut it down to 10-15 images it would look a lot stronger.

EDIT LINKS FIXED

May 16 21 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Please

May 16 21 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

SPVC3Y

Garry k wrote:
Please

Your MM portfolio is a poor representation of you, I'd just direct everyone to your Instagram which is stellar. Lucky for me I was curious enough to check it out.

May 16 21 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

PCPINUPS wrote:
Your MM portfolio is a poor representation of you, I'd just direct everyone to your Instagram which is stellar. Lucky for me I was curious enough to check it out.

I do say in my Bio that my work here is historic ( 2006-14 ) and I would like to think that my work ( displayed on IG ) has improved since then

You can critique my IG work if You wish

oh and I only keep my early MM pictures up because I like them and they were meaningful to me at the time

May 16 21 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

SPVC3Y

Garry k wrote:

I do say in my Bio that my work here is historic ( 2006-14 ) and I would like to think that my work ( displayed on IG ) has improved since then

You can critique my IG work if You wish

oh and I only keep my early MM pictures up because I like them and they were meaningful to me at the time

I enjoy your IG very much, great compositions and a clear style. Nothing much negative to say about it other than the set with the model on the rocks is a bit blown out (the shot on the left) and some, not all, of the skin tones look a bit to saturated for my taste. But yeah love it for the most part wish your MM showed more of that, screw the old stuff haha.

May 16 21 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

It's been a minute since I asked for someone to slap my ego around, lol, so sure, have at it. smile

May 23 21 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

phantom of the light

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I'll play.  Thank you.

May 23 21 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

In The Wind Photography

Beaverton, Oregon, US

I feel like a Christian walking into the coliseum by asking you lions how I taste.  But after some degree of angst, I'll bite.

I have two recent shoots posted here and around 5 years worth of portfolio images at the link provided in my profile.  The web site has 11 years or so worth, mostly travel photography.  I can see significant improvement over the years and especially since I went digital some years back.

What I'd value are comments regarding my overall style which will ideally help me to go to the next level in my hobby/passion.

I tend to take super nit-picky comments as evidence that overall, my 40+ years of photography experience hasn't been a total waste.  And note that I don't haul around tons of gear and that I always shoot available light.  This is highly unlikely to ever change.  I realize that I am not even in the same league as many here and especially the pros who do this for a living.  I'm retired from the computer engineering field so photography is strictly just a fun way to pass the time for me.

Still, any productive comments that might help me to avoid continuing any bad habits would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

May 23 21 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Ok!

May 24 21 04:53 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Haven't done this in a while, thanks for the thread.

May 24 21 06:23 am Link

Photographer

Krpphoto

Cape Coral, Florida, US

Your main problems right now have more to do with contrast. On your main profile shot I think its pretty cool  - the sassy look and the outfit. What is wrong though is that either "you or the background" needs to  be darker. Both are real  bright instead of just one of them.. On another photo you are wearing purple on a maroon background. Here the "lack of being able to see the subject better" seems more related perhaps to the two colors blending together . I think possible if the model was more separated from the background "distance wise" then possibly you might not need to add more light to the model. I like the sassy facial expression of the image of the gal with the cocktail at the bar - the one that is more of a close up of her. But I would have had her wear her high heel on the foot that does not have one on it for more sexiness . On both versions of the gal at the bar the background is a bit too busy . Maybe select a spot without the wall photos in the background or where the wall photos are a little more spaced apart..

Jan 22 22 09:57 am Link

Photographer

HeartSpur

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

Would love to hear what you see on my profile. Thanks in advance.

Jan 28 22 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

DougGoldmanPhotography

Aberdeen, Maryland, US

Please and Thank you.

Feb 21 22 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Serge Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

Hi! New photos! smile Please comment smile

Apr 06 22 02:59 am Link

Model

Karajane

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I'm down for a critique. I haven't had my ego tested for awhile so this should be interesting!

Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers.

Karajane

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/3569944/viewall

Jun 02 22 07:38 am Link