Forums > Critique > New Photos/Critique please!

Model

Amanda_G

Los Angeles, California, US

Hey guys!

I just had my first shoot post-chemo.  Celebrating life!

Let me know your thoughts.

Jun 03 21 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

You look good, however, I don't think the photos do you justice. You look like you do beauty, as in cosmetics, and also since you're tall, full length shots would have been great to see. Hope you're feeling better and on your way to a full recovery

Jun 04 21 01:49 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Best wishes as you put your chemo behind you.

Great images, this is my favorite:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/210605/02/60bb41ccdbef8_m.jpg

Jun 05 21 05:27 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

If you were to respond to a casting call that I posted, I would look at your portfolio and decide that I was mad if I did not shortlist you, so I would say that your portfolio is doing what it is supposed to do and doing it very well.

As someone has already mentioned, it would do no harm to have photo that better illustrated your height, but that falls in the same category as polishing  a Ferrari - sure, it will make the car look better, but it will not change the stunning lines of a Ferrari, just as no amount of polishing will make a Lada look more attractive.

Jun 05 21 08:02 am Link

Model

Amanda_G

LA StarShooter wrote:
You look good, however, I don't think the photos do you justice. You look like you do beauty, as in cosmetics, and also since you're tall, full length shots would have been great to see. Hope you're feeling better and on your way to a full recovery

Thank you! I agree, time to get some full body shots/posing down.  I'm shooting again in a few weeks.  Hopefully get some long, full lengths then.

I'm doing great!  Very happy to be here!  It's been a wild year...for all of us.

Jun 05 21 09:04 am Link

Model

Amanda_G

Mark Salo wrote:
Best wishes as you put your chemo behind you.

Great images, this is my favorite:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/210605/02/60bb41ccdbef8_m.jpg

Thank you!  I feel so, so lucky.  And that's mine too! smile

Jun 05 21 09:06 am Link

Model

Amanda_G

Rob Photosby wrote:
If you were to respond to a casting call that I posted, I would look at your portfolio and decide that I was mad if I did not shortlist you, so I would say that your portfolio is doing what it is supposed to do and doing it very well.

As someone has already mentioned, it would do no harm to have photo that better illustrated your height, but that falls in the same category as polishing  a Ferrari - sure, it will make the car look better, but it will not change the stunning lines of a Ferrari, just as no amount of polishing will make a Lada look more attractive.

Thank you so much, your work is fantastic.  I'm going to get more full body shots--  It's overdue and necessary!

Jun 05 21 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Gday Amanda,

I have my reservations regarding the lighting and editing in some of the images, however they still give a good indication as to much of your potential.
You have a vibrant smile, captivating eyes, great hair and good complextion, but I feel you deserve images that would best put these on show for you as a model.
In future I would recommend seeking shots which focus on you as the model, then aim to only publish images which are clear, well lit and edited.
Include more images which showcase your eyes, hair, skin and curves, along with some full length to add into the mix, but also watch out for amateurish backdrops and heavy vignetteing, these best be eliminated asap.

If given the opportunity, I'd love to work together.

I wish you well and a speedy recovery.

Rik.

Jun 06 21 12:29 pm Link

Model

Amanda_G

Rik Williams wrote:
Gday Amanda,

I have my reservations regarding the lighting and editing in some of the images, however they still give a good indication as to much of your potential.
You have a vibrant smile, captivating eyes, great hair and good complextion, but I feel you deserve images that would best put these on show for you as a model.
In future I would recommend seeking shots which focus on you as the model, then aim to only publish images which are clear, well lit and edited.
Include more images which showcase your eyes, hair, skin and curves, along with some full length to add into the mix, but also watch out for amateurish backdrops and heavy vignetteing, these best be eliminated asap.

If given the opportunity, I'd love to work together.

I wish you well and a speedy recovery.

Rik.

Thank you for taking the time to take a look and give your thoughts!  I appreciate the feedback.  Your work is exceptional, and I wish we were closer--would love to shoot with you one day.   I was in Australia last March (Sydney/Cairns)  and absolutely fell in love with the country.  Perhaps Melbourne will be my next visit once I head back. smile

Jun 06 21 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Amanda_G wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to take a look and give your thoughts!  I appreciate the feedback.  Your work is exceptional, and I wish we were closer--would love to shoot with you one day.   I was in Australia last March (Sydney/Cairns)  and absolutely fell in love with the country.  Perhaps Melbourne will be my next visit once I head back. smile

Thank you Amanda, I'm sorry I missed your last visit.
Hopefully when you return you'll include our southern city smile  there are many keen photographers in Melbourne I could put you in contact with.
Regards,
Rik.

Jun 09 21 05:58 am Link

Photographer

Fotos53

Tucson, Arizona, US

Hi

I feel that your headshot images don't do you justice, they're dark and a little fuzzy, they don't show you off as a model. You
have a great smile, you're tall and have that certain something. I think you need a better photographer...I'm sorry I'm a little blunt but I'm honest.

Congratulations on your recovery!

Jun 09 21 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Fotos53

Tucson, Arizona, US

I'm sorry I didn't attach this to my post...

My favorite image!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/46979905

Jun 09 21 06:18 pm Link

Model

Dovetail_Stormrider

Lansing, Michigan, US

1. Your 4th photo. Have them crop that black strip off the bottom of your picture. It has no purpose to the shot, and is very detracting from the quality of the photo. Its something that should not have been left by a decent photo editor. It does not do any justice or add any purpose to the photo, it actually detracts it.

2. I agree that you come off, over all, in your portfolio, not confident in your figure, NOT saying that you're not, but the overall feel has a whisper that like, almost hiding it, and there isn't any reason for that, your figure is great, there is nothing wrong with your build at all, and you use lines, angles, and curves well in your posing and shots. So, you got it, flaunt it a little more than you do.

3. I had the same reservations about lighting, your portfolio tends to blend you into your backgrounds and blur you into your photos, not that you're "not there" but it detracts from your actual presence, I'd like to see more light, more vibrancy, use of shadow not to hide but enhance your work, it's not YOU, its the lighting and the way that the pictures are taken, more I feel on your photographers end and not on your end. Your look is really going to pop better, you need better lighting than you've been given, it has the feel of "hiding a candle under a box" to me, but as I said that isn't you it seems on whoever your photograher was's end.

4. I'd like to see more color, you'd do well to add some real color and vibrancy to your portfolio, and for God sakes whoever shoots it make sure that they remember that lighting.

Overall, you have a lot of great work on your end, it feels like your potential was sold short by the photographer to me.

Jun 10 21 05:27 pm Link

Model

Amanda_G

Dovetail_Stormrider wrote:
1. Your 4th photo. Have them crop that black strip off the bottom of your picture. It has no purpose to the shot, and is very detracting from the quality of the photo. Its something that should not have been left by a decent photo editor. It does not do any justice or add any purpose to the photo, it actually detracts it.

2. I agree that you come off, over all, in your portfolio, not confident in your figure, NOT saying that you're not, but the overall feel has a whisper that like, almost hiding it, and there isn't any reason for that, your figure is great, there is nothing wrong with your build at all, and you use lines, angles, and curves well in your posing and shots. So, you got it, flaunt it a little more than you do.

3. I had the same reservations about lighting, your portfolio tends to blend you into your backgrounds and blur you into your photos, not that you're "not there" but it detracts from your actual presence, I'd like to see more light, more vibrancy, use of shadow not to hide but enhance your work, it's not YOU, its the lighting and the way that the pictures are taken, more I feel on your photographers end and not on your end. Your look is really going to pop better, you need better lighting than you've been given, it has the feel of "hiding a candle under a box" to me, but as I said that isn't you it seems on whoever your photograher was's end.

4. I'd like to see more color, you'd do well to add some real color and vibrancy to your portfolio, and for God sakes whoever shoots it make sure that they remember that lighting.

Overall, you have a lot of great work on your end, it feels like your potential was sold short by the photographer to me.

Hi!! Thank you so much for taking the time to write out these critiques.  I totally understand.  I'm actually working with another photographer end of this month, and my focus will be full body, WELL LIT, simple, not highly edited shots.   They're long overdue!

Thank you! smile

Jun 11 21 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111216/20/4eec1f1f880ba_m.jpg
👍

Jun 15 21 07:47 am Link

Photographer

AndyS

Hampton, Illinois, US

I don't do this often, hope I get it right smile

First and most importantly, congratulations on getting through chemo! I myself have just completed 2-years (50 rounds) of chemo. It can be rough!

First impression, you are a beautiful, vibrant young woman. I love your eyes and you give great expression. I'm going to agree with many of the respondents that you are better than your photographs. Better lighting, focus, composition will turn your portfolio into something as stunning as you are.

My favorite of the new images:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/210603/21/60b9b2ad49e13_m.jpg

Love the pose, expression and you have lips to die for smile

Best of luck to you!

Andy

Jun 29 21 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Exceptional beauty!

If you were near me I'd want to hire you.

Jul 03 21 03:07 pm Link

Model

Amanda_G

AndyS wrote:
I don't do this often, hope I get it right smile

First and most importantly, congratulations on getting through chemo! I myself have just completed 2-years (50 rounds) of chemo. It can be rough!

First impression, you are a beautiful, vibrant young woman. I love your eyes and you give great expression. I'm going to agree with many of the respondents that you are better than your photographs. Better lighting, focus, composition will turn your portfolio into something as stunning as you are.

My favorite of the new images:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/210603/21/60b9b2ad49e13_m.jpg

Love the pose, expression and you have lips to die for smile

Best of luck to you!

Andy

50 rounds!!!! OMG congratulations!!!  I'm in awe.

And thank you for your thought out critique!!

Jul 07 21 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Rik Chapman

Gonzales, Louisiana, US

The photo that Mark Salo said he likes is excellent so is the photo below that with the green top and the two with the black blazer are great.

Jul 27 21 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Krpphoto

Cape Coral, Florida, US

To Amanda G - The black and white with arms over head looks more like a body language statement saying "what the heck". The one next to it with her arms over chest looks too busy because of the arms - which are obstructing the models  beautiful body and draws attention away from her face. . The one with model wearing a rustic orange-ish one piece with  arms and hands going up to the cheeks  I think you need to curve her fingers to look more elegant and soft. The Black and white with hand to the side of the face I do like quite a lot as hands and fingers do look elegant and draws the viewers eyes toward the face. The only problem with it is that you could haver allowed more " empty space" to the side of the image so that her elbows are not cut off and also so that she does not look "crowded into a box".

Jan 03 22 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Krpphoto

Cape Coral, Florida, US

Say Rick Williams. I am interested it getting another backdrop or two. I am new to studio and really have not done it (except the ones of a woman in red taken at a group shoot). One back drop I have looks like a very swanky  staircase of a millionaire mansion - which will only be good If I take photos of woman dressed very formally . Bad way to start I think. The other is made to look like vintage / aged (whatever) barn siding in a grayish white pattern . That one will probably be o.k. perhaps if I am  shooting a woman in  casual clothes I. What solid color backdrops would be the most wise to use if I am shooting with a woman that looks a lot like Amanda and seems to know quite a lot about modeling. Also what is the safest way to get creases out of a backdrop  that came (like most) all folded up so that the creases will not show. My best idea is to lie the  backdrop on a wide bed and iron it - but first put a heavy blanket between the backdrop and the iron so the iron will not ruin it. Maybe also a blanket between the underside of the backdrop and the blanket or comforter is resting on  so colors will not bleed through.

Jan 08 22 12:56 pm Link