Forums > Model Colloquy > Photographers and paid models expectations?

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

It's a fact, a photographer doesn't have to provide a paid model with any photos at all.

So photographers, what do you expect a paid model has to provide you with in return for receiving their normal hourly rate?

I'll start by suggesting:
(1). A signed model release ....
(2). ?

Jun 30 21 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I expect to be able to use the content I created in a commercial manner. This didn't used to be an issue for most models, however, lately I've discovered that the minute many models learn that you plan to actually use the content somewhere other than MM, FB, Insta, etc they tend to go poof.

Jun 30 21 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

John Jebbia  wrote:
......I've discovered that the minute many models learn that you plan to actually use the content somewhere other than MM, FB, Insta, etc they tend to go poof.

I laughed when I read your expression, "....they tend to go poof!" So thank you, as I've not heard 'go poof' said in a long time.

My guess is that no number of waives or taps with a magic wand and/or saying the magic word "abracadabra" will be enough to cause another poof to happen and see them suddenly reappear. It won't be magic, but waiving more money around might do the trick!

Jun 30 21 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Camera Buff wrote:
It's a fact, a photographer doesn't have to provide a paid model with any photos at all.

So photographers, what do you expect a paid model has to provide you with in return for receiving their normal hourly rate?

(2). ?

I expect from a paid model what we agreed upon when making the arrangement.

But then, I always compensate models.  Sometimes with money, sometimes with photos, sometimes with exposure, sometimes with lessons/training, and frequently with some combination.

Generally, I start by telling the model what I expect from the shoot, and then we negotiate compensation.

For instance, if I am shooting for a swimsuit catalog, a common arrangement would be that the model gets $X per hour, and provides a signed release giving rights to use her likeness for a specified period of time in specified media.

If I am training other photographers, the model may receive an hourly rate, but I may not need her to sign a release, as I won't be making commercial use of the images.

Jul 06 21 08:19 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Michael Fryd wrote:
I expect from a paid model what we agreed upon when making the arrangement.

But then, I always compensate models.  Sometimes with money, sometimes with photos, sometimes with exposure, sometimes with lessons/training, and frequently with some combination.

This. All of this. I request (regardless of whom, if anyone, is being paid in cash or other elements of value) transparency in negotiations and expectations, followed by an honest effort by all parties to adhere to those agreements (which are in writing).

People are individuals; I treat them as such. Negotiations are individual; I don’t have predetermined expectations or absolutes other than the above. Model releases, usage licenses, content, genre, mood, limits, et al.: all discussed and documented in explicit detail, every time, for everyone. If you photograph people long enough, you're likely to come across most conceivable combinations and situations, and having set expectations or demands without flexibility probably limits all involved.

Jul 07 21 07:12 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Camera Buff wrote:
[snip]

If I'm going to pay a Model I expect them to have some knowledge of the their craft.

ie:  posing, knowing their angles.

Experience, whether in Modeling or in a relatable background, such as Dance. .

Jul 07 21 10:03 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

My expectations of models are the same, regardless of whether they prefer cash or TF. I also suspect that most models would say that their contribution and skills are the same regardless of the terms.

Whilst some photographers evidently withhold images from paid shoots, I do not. If a model wants to use them she's welcome.

Jul 07 21 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Varton Photography

New York, New York, US

John Jebbia  wrote:
I expect to be able to use the content I created in a commercial manner. This didn't used to be an issue for most models, however, lately I've discovered that the minute many models learn that you plan to actually use the content somewhere other than MM, FB, Insta, etc they tend to go poof.

In my case they don't go poof, they want a piece of the pie plus be paid for the shoot and act as  if they are doing me a huge favor. smile

Jul 11 21 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Al_Vee Photography

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I schedule them, and they show up. That's really about all I need from anyone.

Jul 13 21 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jefferson Cole

Prague, Prague, Czech Republic

In exchange for the compensation, my models are expected to know how to model.

I am not in the business of model training, although many Mayhemettes expect that.

Jul 15 21 01:52 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

My city is so small that I've never met, let alone photographed, a professional model. Although I have photographed a local girl before she became a famous Aussie model.

For my TFP shoots I usually arrange everything, including Hair Styling, Make-up, Wardrobe, Props, etc. So I expect models to show up at the studio/location fresh faced, hair washed and preferably wearing loose fitting clothing that doesn't leave any unwanted marks on their skin.

I generally expect the actual shoot will take two hours of their time, but models can also expect to add prep-time on top of this. The last couple of shoots I did were with models from neighbouring Cities which involved having to make two hour round trips. So I don't really place any limit on the number of images I'll give a model as compensation. I should point out I never ask or expect any model to travel just to shoot with me, but a couple have. Both girls are currently featured in my MM portfolio. They were both one-time full day shoots and we covered a multitude of different looks from sea captain to lingerie and swimsuit to evening wear.

However I've read on Model Mayhem where a photographer says their hourly rate starts at Call Time and they pay a flat hourly rate.

So I was wondering what's the expectation on paid shoots?

Jul 18 21 04:06 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Camera Buff wrote:
So I was wondering what's the expectation on paid shoots?

There are not iron-clad, absolute, universal expectations for internet modeling/photography. There just aren’t. For every rule someone states, you’ll find a dozen exceptions to or deviations from that rule. IMHO, the best thing you can do is discuss and agree to details with the individuals at hand.

If you want a signed model release, negotiate that. If you want the clock to start at call time, or two hours before, or at the first shutter release, negotiate that. All images, no images, limited image use? Negotiate that. Payment up front? At the conclusion? Installments? Cash? PayPal? Bitcoin? You get the idea. It's all been done before; there is no absolute standard.

Jul 18 21 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Jefferson Cole wrote:
In exchange for the compensation, my models are expected to know how to model.

Really? I'd like to think that I select models for what I can get out of them, not what a bunch of shitty photographers had taught them in the past. I've had a magazine layout and cover come from a model's first shoot. Conversely I've had shoots that I virtually threw away with overly-experienced models who have had too many glamour photographers tell them they are wonderful because of their bust size, not their modeling ability.

While I have had a model's experience and ability make a shoot go more smoothly, I have just as frequently been pleased with what a new model brings to a shoot.

My bottom line is that I expect to be able to communicate with the model (also something that some experienced models could work on).

Jul 19 21 03:57 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Besides signing the release I expect them to:
1.  Act in a professional manner
2. Respond to my communications
3.  Appear at the appointed place and at the appointed time
4.  Either be made-up or can be made-up within a few minutes or appear clean depending on my instructions
5.  Be able to pose without instruction for a majority of the shoot
6.  Unless a portrait or beauty shoot, the shoot is not about them and understand they are a part of a concept
7.  Not to bring a third party, illegal substances or a bad attitude with them

Needless so say I only use a few models from MM and the ones I use, if they are local, I tend to use over and over again (also because I have restrictions for tattoo's, bleached hair and implants).  For the rest I use agency models and even then it's no guarantee.

Jul 23 21 11:41 am Link

Photographer

BRIAN D WILLIAMS

Los Angeles, California, US

Camera Buff wrote:

(2). ?

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to give the Model the images.

Jul 31 21 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Camera Buff wrote:
…  I don't really place any limit on the number of images I'll give a model ...

BRIAN D WILLIAMS wrote:

I do understand why some photographers wouldn't want to give a paid model the images as well. 

That said, I do not do paid shoots with models as there aren't any professional models where I'm located, but I do give my amateur models images.

Jul 31 21 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

BRIAN D WILLIAMS wrote:

I totally understand but Im an old foagie that doesnt give a dang about social media crap.

Aug 01 21 11:07 am Link

Photographer

csybt

Denver, Colorado, US

To be able to read.

Seriously, so many models ignore my castings and my profile and just send me three-figure rates. Like, even if I happened to have a paid project in my back pocket, why would I give it to someone who obviously ignores everything I write? We're never gonna be on the same page, it's gonna be a horrible time.

Aug 01 21 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I was going to say, that regardless of the amount or type of compensation, I expect the model to show up on time, model as discussed and bring the wardrobe discussed.  I usually expect the model to sign a model release, also discussed and confirmed prior to the shoot.   

However that is no longer my expectation, but rather my hope.   Experience has taught me to not expect the model to show up at all but rather to expect the model to cancel or no show.

Aug 01 21 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Jefferson Cole

Prague, Prague, Czech Republic

Oh Dan,  need someone to bicker with?

The original post was a question, I simply wrote my answer, it's really that simple.

So generous of you to explain how mistaken I am in how I work.

Aug 26 21 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

A bit about COOPERATION.
I'm still looking for a model who can possibly help the RIGHT TYPE of photographer to sell THEIR images.  If it does not work though, there is something wrong with a photog mostly, but it's convenient to blame a model you didn't pay a dime (because you don't have any, after even selling some of your gear and kidney) for everything.

The way I see it, some of the models not just the perfect human specimens to be photographed, but also somehow acquired/inherited much more developed brain for business than the so called "professional" photographer could ever possibly have.

This is one way to eliminate the money transactions, but provide the mutually beneficial opportunities, by killing 2-3 birds by one stone by going ahead.  Plus, it's potentially possible to work on the regular basis in some kind of SYMBIOTIC professional relationship. There are roughly 5 main types of them: mutualism, commensalism, predation, parasitism, and competition (in the so versatile nature ecosystem as photography). Which one is who? smile

Just a thought.

Aug 28 21 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Camera Buff wrote:

(2). ?

1) A signed model release (Before the shoot begins).

2) Completed and signed 2257 paperwork (Before the shoot begins).

3) Two ID's to be digitally copied (one must be government issued photo ID like a drivers license or passport, school ID) (Before the shoot begins).

4) Anything else that was discussed beforehand,  ie: Make-Up, Hair, Nails, Basic Wardrobe, etc.

Aug 28 21 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

BRIAN D WILLIAMS wrote:

Here's a few real life reasons:

1: Embargo. Giving the model photos from a shoot for an ad campaign or a publication could kill the whole campaign or article,  In many cases everyone involved in such a shoot even has to sign a non disclosure agreement prohibiting even mentioning anything about the shoot or what they were involved with.

2: Quality Control.  Sometimes a photo has to be printed to extremely high and expensive standards.  You don't want the model posting 'em on IG or having them printed at Wal-Mart

3. Exclusivity: An original piece of art, whether it be a statue, painting, or photo quickly diminishes in value when it's reproduced. 

--------------------
As for #1 most people will give a tear sheet of the ad or article that the model appeared in AFTER it's been published.

I'm currently doing a project best described as #2.  If the item is printed ANY OTHER WAY than what I have intended the whole project will quickly become worthless.

Aug 28 21 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

RoyMayh

So this is my new line separating "pro" versus "non-pro" models.
For a paid shoot professional models do not expect any images, just money and are happy with any number of images.

For a paid shoot non-professional models demand, yep, I said it, demand lots and lots of images, sometimes ALL the images.

If the pro model needs or wants images from a paid shoot they make polite reasonable requests and then reply "thank you" after you sent them the images.

For the non-pros? Yep, you guessed it. After you send them tons and tons of images, you never hear a word.

Oct 07 21 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

RoyMayh

Oct 21 21 04:28 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

RoyMayh wrote:
For a paid shoot professional models do not expect any images, just money and are happy with any number of images.

For a paid shoot non-professional models demand, yep, I said it, demand lots and lots of images, sometimes ALL the images.

If the pro model needs or wants images from a paid shoot they make polite reasonable requests and then reply "thank you" after you sent them the images.

For the non-pros? Yep, you guessed it. After you send them tons and tons of images, you never hear a word.

You are correct.

Oct 21 21 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

RoyMayh wrote:

What photographer, other than a rank GWC, would pay a model and then send them "tons and tons of images"?

Oct 22 21 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Fleming Design wrote:
What photographer, other than a rank GWC, would pay a model and then send them "tons and tons of images"?

I guess I qualify as a rank GWC . . .

I sometimes hire models and then when additional sales come in, I will pay them a percentage.

It's not my daily standard practice, but there are occasions when I've done that.

KM

Oct 22 21 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

I guess I qualify as a rank GWC . . .

I sometimes hire models and then when additional sales come in, I will pay them a percentage.

It's not my daily standard practice, but there are occasions when I've done that.

KM

Ken, I don't understand what sending a model further $ upon further sales has to do with paying a model in full and then sending them "tons and tons of images", the assumption being for the model's use?

Oct 22 21 10:50 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Camera Buff wrote:

II's a fact a photographer have to provide whatever had been agreed to in the contract between photographer and model...

Maybe just money. Maybe money plus photos. Maybe money plus expenses. Maybe money plus expenses plus photos. Maybe money plus a 12" pizza Frutti di Mare...

I demand a model release from every model. Paid, time for pictures, time for pizza, ..., ...

What do I expect? Always the best. At least I expect that the model delivers what the model had promised to deliver when I hired the model.

Oct 22 21 05:05 pm Link