Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Apple plans to look through all your photos

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

LightDreams wrote:
It appears that Apple has put the whole thing on hold, at least for now.

The Guardian pointed out that security researchers proved two, rather troubling, flaws.

1)  They were able to manipulate images that appeared to be perfectly innocent, into falsely flagging the user to Apple.  I.E.  It suggested that you MIGHT be able to "set up" other Apple users.

2)  They were also able to take photos that actually were the kind of problem the system was looking for, and subtly alter the bits so that it would pass Apple's scans, unnoticed.  Letting those who are guilty escape detection.

These are in addition to the many other issues that have been raised.

Apple's statement (in part) reads:

"“Based on feedback from customers, advocacy groups, researchers and others, we have decided to take additional time over the coming months to collect input and make improvements before releasing these critically important child safety features”.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ … use-images

"“Based on feedback from customers, advocacy groups, researchers and others, we have decided to take additional time over the coming months to collect input and make improvements before releasing these critically important child safety features”.

or---- we will do this a bit later when the rest of the world isnt looking.

Sep 03 21 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

rfordphotos wrote:
or---- we will do this a bit later when the rest of the world isnt looking.

^ exactly^

Sep 07 21 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Photographer12years

Everett, Washington, US

I did not have the time to read all the responses but we are watched more then we realize... And it will continue and get more intrusive.  Alexa is ALWAYS listening. Google is always watching.  I don't mind but it certainly is problematic. But there's nothing  anyone can do about it. No sense in getting stressed about it. Just live life.

Jan 05 23 02:55 pm Link