Forums > Model Colloquy > Why would a Model ?

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

who I "met " on FB insist on only using WhatsApp to discuss shooting together

I am pretty old school and dont even know what WhatsApp is really

Aug 24 21 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Garry k wrote:
who I "met " on FB insist on only using WhatsApp to discuss shooting together

I am pretty old school and dont even know what WhatsApp is really

What's App is the leading choice of communications by scammers.
That's not to say legitimate people don't use it, but the majority of scammers and fakers that I've encountered told me to contact them on What's App, even though they're supposedly local.

Aug 24 21 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

What's App is the leading choice of communications by scammers.
That's not to say legitimate people don't use it, but the majority of scammers and fakers that I've encountered told me to contact them on What's App, even though they're supposedly local.

I guessed that it had something to do with scamming ... but I am pretty naive about that subject . How do Whats App based scams work ?

Aug 24 21 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Because said “model” has an agenda/goal which isn’t suitable for straightforward email communications.

In my opinion, it’s a good reason to simply pass in favor of the many models who will communicate via email.

Aug 24 21 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

WhatsApp is simply a phone/text/photo messaging app for your phone or desktop. Depending on the persons phone carrier, WhatsApp may be their better solution.

One model I work with lives in Mexico. She uses WhatsApp because her carrier's calling and text is unreliable or incompatible with many others. There is also a large photo tour group that uses WhatsApp to communicate with the whole group, especially in remote areas where phone service may be limited for some carriers, yet wifi is available.

WhatsApp is a legitimate application to use.

Yes, some scammers want to get you off the MM messaging as to not be traceable by MM.  Whether they use email, Messenger, or WhatsApp doesn't make a lot of difference.

Aug 24 21 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Garry k wrote:
I guessed that it had something to do with scamming ... but I am pretty naive about that subject . How do Whats App based scams work ?

I'm not 100% why they use What's App, but I know that they're able to get a phone number with a USA area code to make it seem that they're local.  Of course the same can be done with Google Phone but Google has limitations and are more prone to remove scammers when it's found they're using a Google phone number in doing the scam.

Scammers will always direct their victims away from the media site they initially contacted on.  It's harder for a company to shut down an account when a scam is not being perpetrated on their service.

Aug 24 21 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

I have no qualms arranging shoots via Whatsapp, although IG messaging is much more usual amongst the models I've worked with.

Clearly, you need to exercise due diligence whichever method you use. I think the photographers who tend to be caught out by scammers are those who are so keen/desperate to shoot that normal reasoning goes out the window.

Aug 25 21 05:21 am Link

Photographer

MoRina

Neumayer - permanent station of Germany, Sector claimed by Norway, Antarctica

She's probably doing it to screen out the old farts.

Aug 25 21 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

MoRina wrote:
She's probably doing it to screen out the old farts.

lol

but she could already tell that from my FB

Aug 26 21 06:56 pm Link

Model

Michelle Genevieve

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

Eric212Grapher wrote:
WhatsApp is simply a phone/text/photo messaging app for your phone or desktop. Depending on the persons phone carrier, WhatsApp may be their better solution.

I agree. I'm in communications with a business associate in Mexico, and WhatsApp is their communications method of choice. A friend of mine is a defense contractor working with a foreign military, and that country's decision makers are all using WhatsApp.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume it's a scam. It's easy to use, multi-platform and you can video chat with it.

Aug 28 21 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

possible alternatives:
1. she possibly wants to keep the same phone number for all her domestic and international calls/messages VIA ANY FREE INTERNET ACCESS (WiFI, NO CELLULAR DATA), and not happy by some reason with Google Voice (doesn't work in some parts of Eastern Europe yet).
2. she is paying exclusively for some kind of international cellular data plan (no REGULAR messaging, no REGULAR voice calls, which charged extra and expensive for such plans).
3. she is from Russia, and leaving back soon, just visiting smile
4. she loves the encrypted communication channels, ask her about Telegram Messenger
5. she is a shill on payroll for FB (owns Whatsapp) jk

Aug 29 21 12:56 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Michelle Genevieve wrote:

I agree. I'm in communications with a business associate in Mexico, and WhatsApp is their communications method of choice. A friend of mine is a defense contractor working with a foreign military, and that country's decision makers are all using WhatsApp.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume it's a scam. It's easy to use, multi-platform and you can video chat with it.

+1

They can't scam you in anyway on WhatsApp that they can't scam you by text message.

Aug 29 21 11:17 am Link

Photographer

The Other Place

Los Angeles, California, US

A friend of mine is a defense contractor working with a foreign military, and that country's decision makers are all using WhatsApp.

Wow!  Whatsapp is Facebook -- not very secure for government military communications.

There are a lot of safer messaging apps out there other than Whatsapp.  Some are open source and peer-to-peer with encryption.

Aug 30 21 12:50 am Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

An excellent article about the "security" of commercial apps like WhatsApp,,,https://www.nextgov.com/ideas/2020/12/insecure-communications-whatsapp-are-putting-us-national-security-risk/170577/

And one about Whatsapp sharing personal with it's owner Facebook,,,https://www.nextpit.com/whatsapp-forces-share-your-personal-data-facebook

Aug 30 21 08:58 am Link