Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Could you go one entire day without...

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Could you go 24 hours without seeing or hearing a commercial - without being advertised to?
If so, what would it take to accomplish that?

Sep 29 21 08:19 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Yes, but it would require intentionally not turning on the radio or TV or computer, and not picking up the mail, and not going anywhere. If I did that and didn't pick up any existing advertising material that was already inside the house, I think I could avoid being advertised to.

Sep 29 21 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Yep, it's actually extremely easy to achieve. Happens all the time when we go backcountry camping. We spend multiple days seeing/hearing exactly zero ads. It's pure bliss and I highly recommend it!

Sep 29 21 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Yep.  As with Kickfight, I’ve done backcountry trips where I don’t see any media.  Multi-week trips for me are as much about what I don’t experience as what I do.  Especially when I was younger, I valued not only the absence of advertising but the absence of everyone telling me I should purse a path that wasn’t my interest.  There’s a lot to be said about escaping “civilization” for a while. 

Short of that,  I’ve often gone days or even weeks without consuming media that has ads.  I’m sure I pass a billboard or something but it doesn’t even register.  I similarly had a few years where I only had one day a week I would listen to or read the news.

Sep 29 21 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

No Problem . . . . don't pay your power bill and you'll enjoy the peace and quiet !

Sep 29 21 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Abbitt Photography wrote:
I’m sure I pass a billboard or something but it doesn’t even register.

^ snipped that part out of your post ^
i would give a free pass for not picking up a spam / telemarketer call, but simply not looking at a billboard doesnt count. that would still count as seeing. so would using any aps on your phone that have some sort of ads, even if its cleverly disguised. regardless if you read it or not.
junk mail counts too.

i think its harder to avoid than most people think it is, additionally people probably think similar to how Abbitt mentioned that it doesnt register, since we're so used to seeing them.... oh, but it does.

Sep 29 21 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

I don't watch tv, work from home, and listen to commercial free radio so I thought easy peasy until I noticed the advertisement above this post for a person offering wedding photography which I blame you guys for even making me notice the fact its an ad, because then I started thinking about who in there right mind would think advertising your photography business on a camera club site would be a sound investment which led me into other mindless explorations  which then made me understand how a lot of these topics get started.

Sep 29 21 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

Acraftman1313 wrote:
I don't watch tv, work from home, and listen to commercial free radio so I thought easy peasy

Yeah, easy-peazy until you leave your cave then the billboards, peoples t-shirts, the sides of buses and the planes overhead pulling those banners behind them!
See, we're so conditioned to them we don't even see them!!!
I just hope the funeral home doesn't put one on the inside of my coffin lid when i take the big dirt nap!!! LoL
John

Sep 29 21 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

It's called YOUTUBE and the "skip ads" button!  Still takes 5 seconds to sit through.  Unless they're capitalizing.  Then it's a full 90 second yawn-fest filled with frustrated antsi-ness and a hatred for the remote control's lack of power when you need it most.

Sep 29 21 09:06 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Paolo D Photography wrote:
^ snipped that part out of your post ^
i would give a free pass for not picking up a spam / telemarketer call, but simply not looking at a billboard doesnt count. that would still count as seeing. so would using any aps on your phone that have some sort of ads, even if its cleverly disguised. regardless if you read it or not.
junk mail counts too.

i think its harder to avoid than most people think it is, additionally people probably think similar to how Abbitt mentioned that it doesnt register, since we're so used to seeing them.... oh, but it does.

One reason we may not notice a billboard as we drive by is that we have seen it so many times we know what it says and we ignore it.  However, if you are going to include the items that we don't consciously notice like a billboard, then the same problem would exist by going to the refrigerator or cabinets.  That beer or soda can is branded.  Your egg carton has a business name on it.  As you scan the shelves for something you are going to eat, do you notice the word pickle, but not the brand name?  You may pick up the bottle of Ketchup but Hunts or Heinz was still on it, even if you keyed in on the color and shape to grab hold of it, the advertisement was still there.  It would still be true out backpacking in wilderness country, there will be brand names in your pack.  Not just the food, but the clothing and supplies.  The tent, the sleeping bag, the match box, the Nike swoop somewhere in there..  And what about that damn litter that you walk past?

Sep 30 21 06:09 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Of course  .  .  .  I've passed out after a really good drunk and slept for days  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Sep 30 21 08:04 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

ROUA IMAGES wrote:
It's called YOUTUBE and the "skip ads" button!  Still takes 5 seconds to sit through.  Unless they're capitalizing.  Then it's a full 90 second yawn-fest filled with frustrated antsi-ness and a hatred for the remote control's lack of power when you need it most.

even if you skip the ad, you still get advertised to.
many youtubers mention products IN their video.
companies are sponsoring the videos now.
it would be impossible to avoid being advertised to on youtube or if you use the internet at all really.

Sep 30 21 09:49 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

Could you go 24 hours without seeing or hearing a commercial - without being advertised to?

No.  Advertising pays for free tv.  I'm still old school with an antenna on my roof.  I just ignore the ads.  Besides I use the time to hit the John, get water or a snack, throw a load of clothes in the wash, then dryer, then fold, etc.  The way they keep getting longer, some day i may even have time to mow my lawn.

Sep 30 21 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

rxz wrote:
No.  Advertising pays for free tv.  I'm still old school with an antenna on my roof.  I just ignore the ads.  Besides I use the time to hit the John, get water or a snack, throw a load of clothes in the wash, then dryer, then fold, etc.  The way they keep getting longer, some day i may even have time to mow my lawn.

i dont have an antennae on my roof, but i do have tin foil on my head. My WiFi is awesome that way.
the other day i was at a friends house who has cable or satellite or something. i was amazed by how often there were commercial breaks.
if youre out mowing your lawn how will you see the advertisement for the new riding mower? wink

Sep 30 21 11:05 am Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

As the Netflix program Social Media stated, if it's free, you are the product. The difference with cable is, we pay for the delivery of the programming. And yes, I could go a day without being sold something and I try to limit my exposure to it.

Oct 01 21 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

tcphoto wrote:
As the Netflix program Social Media stated, if it's free, you are the product. The difference with cable is, we pay for the delivery of the programming. And yes, I could go a day without being sold something and I try to limit my exposure to it.

its not about going a day without being sold something, that implies you made a purchase.
my question was could you go a day without seeing /hearing an ad.

i agree with social media making oneself a product.
my question was not necessarily related to use of social media but for sure if you use those types of things you would be advertised to.

Oct 01 21 10:52 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

if youre out mowing your lawn how will you see the advertisement for the new riding mower? wink

My lawn isn't large enough for a riding mower.  And I've had a battery powered mower for about a decade.  Added a couple spare batteries and replaced a blade.  But no gas or mainentance, or running over electric cords. 

Tin foil on your head, ??, maybe that explains some of your posts. lol   I use to have a wide brimmed hat lined with tin foil for sun block when shooting in the desert and tropics, but lost it.  It probably explained some of my odd behavior when I was using it.

Oct 02 21 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

rxz wrote:
spare batteries and replaced a blade.  But no gas or mainentance, or running over electric cords.

isnt spare batteries and replacing a blade maintenance?
if it wont even run over an electric cord, then its probably not a very good mower. wink
can you add additional batteries in series? or parallel? for mo' powah!?

Oct 03 21 01:25 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

If so, what would it take to accomplish that?

Solitary.

Oct 03 21 01:33 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

FFantastique wrote:

Solitary.

huh?

Oct 03 21 11:06 am Link