Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > What am I doing wrong?

Photographer

Wild Art

Idaho Falls, Idaho, US

I have spent the last year wondering if my name is total mud because someone was badmouthing me. I have had a number of models flake on me last minute. --One after I had driven 13 hours to the region. She was really rude. Another gal kept contacting me from Wyoming and then flaked 8 times roughly.

Others express enthusiasm at first and then just fade away, not answering messages. I realize a lot of people are depressed and anxious because of Covid/lockdowns/mental health issues...

I thought I had a good reputation, I'm not pushy, I suggest models create themes on first shoots, and I suggest they bring a chaperone to shoots for both of our comfort levels.

I am very saddened, frustrated and have actually taken my social media down. I don't necessarily plan to renew my website either. I got into this to help support others careers because I love photography.

Nov 01 21 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

your portfolio and profile here might benefit from some adjustment if youre having trouble booking through MM.
according to this site's forum rules we are not able to offer a critique for you outside of the critique section of the forum.

Nov 01 21 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Wild Art

Idaho Falls, Idaho, US

You're thinking that I should post to the critique section? Done. I don't mind that at all.

Nov 01 21 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

"flake on me last minute. --One after I had driven 13 hours to the region. She was really rude."

Rudeness seems odd. Did you chew her out?

"Another gal kept contacting me from Wyoming and then flaked 8 times roughly."

So after the first flake, you gave her 7 more chances roughly?

"I have pulled my social media account down at this point and moved to just shooting landscape photography."

Well, I have no social media accounts and I am shooting landscape and macros.

"Am I the only one experiencing this or is it the new reality?"

I'm not sure that it's new but it IS the reality. Don't try so hard; just go with the flow and be happy.

Nov 01 21 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Wild Art

Idaho Falls, Idaho, US

Thanks Mark. I'll go through my album and change things around. No excuses but I had a heck of a time getting things to upload.
I appreciate the critique and yes I was dumb to allow her to bother me. I did not chew anyone out fyi.. Maybe too polite...lessons learned. I am not a fan of social media either. I think it is a time waster.

Nov 01 21 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

just leaving a link to the other thread in Critique section here
if anyone wants to give input on Wild Arts profile or portfolio:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/981636

Nov 01 21 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

Wild Art wrote:
I have spent the last year wondering if my name is total mud because someone was badmouthing me. I have had a number of models flake on me last minute. --One after I had driven 13 hours to the region. She was really rude. Another gal kept contacting me from Wyoming and then flaked 8 times roughly.

Others express enthusiasm at first and then just fade away, not answering messages. I realize a lot of people are depressed and anxious because of Covid/lockdowns/mental health issues...

I thought I had a good reputation, I'm not pushy, I suggest models create themes on first shoots, and I suggest they bring a chaperone to shoots for both of our comfort levels.

I am very saddened, frustrated and have actually taken my social media down. I don't necessarily plan to renew my website either. I got into this to help support others careers because I love photography.

Wild, too bad you've had such a crappy experience after only being here 6 months. I'm not saying it's gonna get better but it certainly can't get any worse. LoL
I would just ignore whats happened. You gotta keep it all in perspective, the average photographer here is closer to 100 than the age of their models. And the only coping mechanism many of them have is the rampantly rude, "ghosting".
Next time you're thinking of driving 13 hours, buy her a refundable plane ticket and you'll know if she ever gets on the plane! Forget her excuses, just move on to the next shoot. Work only with the models you've worked with before that are reliable and only slowly add new ones, let them come to you a few times and pay their expenses to get to you. Set up a small studio where you live and offer studio that way if one is late you can watch the 3 Stooges till they get there and if they are a no show, you just turn off the lights and finish watching the Stooges!!! I'd cut your bio in half, you're trying too hard, let your work speak for itself and make it better if you feel you need to!
John

Nov 02 21 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

BRIAN D WILLIAMS

Los Angeles, California, US

Maybe try putting a picture of yourself in the "about" section of your website and remove the photo of the guy with the gun you have randomly on your site.

Your first impression is your website, it doesn't project that safe to work with feel IMO

Nov 02 21 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Wild Art wrote:
I appreciate the critique and yes I was dumb to allow her to bother me. I did not chew anyone out fyi.. Maybe too polite...lessons learned. I am not a fan of social media either. I think it is a time waster.

I don't think that it is possible to be too polite.

Nov 03 21 06:56 am Link

Model

peter vic

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

How does someone flake 8 times?

Dec 25 21 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

peter vic wrote:
How does someone flake 8 times?

Excuse me, but Wild Art has left the website.  He took rejection personally. 

I have been photographing people for over 40 years, and have been rejected,, critizied, hated on and flaked on.  It takes thick skin and a sense of humor to photograph people.  The rewards are that even with those rejections comes successes and love from those who do appreciate what we do.  Yet the most important opinion of our work comes from ourselves.  If we depend on others opinions of us, then we might as well go focus on photographing landscapes and still lifes.  I am absolutely serious about this!  Complaining about models flaking or being rude to you will not bring more models to you.

Again, Wild Art has left the building, but I am still here.  wink

Dec 25 21 02:00 pm Link