Forums > Accomplishments, Achievements and High Fives > Smugmug... finally did it... for now!

Photographer

Eralar

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada

Hi gang, I haven't been active for year, and attempting to come back to shooting. What better window than Smugmug to promote yourself, right? So I did it, built my site. It took many long and very frustrating hours, but I was able to build my tree structure with galleries to display the pictures I feel are worthy of being out in the world. Here it is (sorry, I didn't have time to translate in English yet): https://ericallard.smugmug.com/

However, am I the only one who feels Smugmug could have been much easier of access without sacrificing anything to their qualities? I felt that everything you try to do needs research after research. Had to scrap everything to start from scratch a couple times in the process.

And when you are finished, what happens? I just realized that using a preset template (Turbo) sets you hard... no way at all to modify the template elements (size, color...). So I'll need to change the preset to Custom and rebuild from scratch... again. I'll probably keep the tree structure, but everything else is to remake completely.

Question is, am I the only one who felt that frustrated with Smugmug? Ok, it's not a question, more of a rant. But still, I'm interested to know what other people's stories felt like. Thanks gang!

Eric

Dec 10 21 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Eralar wrote:
Question is, am I the only one who felt that frustrated with Smugmug? Ok, it's not a question, more of a rant. But still, I'm interested to know what other people's stories felt like. Thanks gang!

Eric

I've been a Smugmug member for many years now.  I'm totally satisfied with it however I didn't really make a website out of it, I just use it to store / deliver photos.  One of these days I'll do it but I'm not sure what the process is.

Dec 10 21 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

White Rabbit Art Photos

Mathews, Virginia, US

I've been with SmugMug for many years.  There have been moments that tested my patience, but those are one-offs.  What I needed was a site that worked reliably, that I could brand, and that had a trustworthy e-commerce capability.  It does that well by my accounting.  Service has been exemplary for me.  A long while back they sponsored user groups (Smugs) in a number of cities.  I ran one on the east coast for a few years, but they grew very quickly and became prohibitively expensive.  Now the best place to connect with SmugMug users is SmugMug's DGrin forum (https://dgrin.com).  The people there are good, and they can help you.

Dec 11 21 12:17 am Link

Photographer

David A Reichel

San Diego, California, US

I've been a SmugMug user for a couple of years.  It meets my current needs, mostly password-protected URLs to deliver client images and my clients have not reported any problems with access, so if it works for them, I'm happy.

When I first started using SmugMug, I probably scrapped 2 or 3 designs and I think of those as learning exercises.  I watched several YouTube tutorials that were helpful.  I don't view SmugMug as highly intuitive and it can be frustrating at times.  Service is excellent -- timely and thorough replies to my questions.  I don't use the store for sales -- that's is likely my next step.

BTW, I visited your site - I have no idea what it says 😃 but I found the navigation to be easy and I enjoyed your photos.  Thanks!

Dec 11 21 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Eralar

White Rabbit Art Photos wrote:
I've been with SmugMug for many years.  There have been moments that tested my patience, but those are one-offs.  What I needed was a site that worked reliably, that I could brand, and that had a trustworthy e-commerce capability.  It does that well by my accounting.  Service has been exemplary for me.  A long while back they sponsored user groups (Smugs) in a number of cities.  I ran one on the east coast for a few years, but they grew very quickly and became prohibitively expensive.  Now the best place to connect with SmugMug users is SmugMug's DGrin forum (https://dgrin.com).  The people there are good, and they can help you.

Thanks, that's very helpful. I'll check them out, still lots of work to do on my site.

Dec 11 21 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Eralar

David A Reichel wrote:
BTW, I visited your site - I have no idea what it says 😃 but I found the navigation to be easy and I enjoyed your photos.  Thanks!

Thanks a lot. I heard you, translation done smile Just not revised yet...

Dec 11 21 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I found Smugmug to be very useful when I was selling digital images.    I also liked they allowed artistic nudes.   I still have my account but haven’t used it much lately.   

One thing I didn’t like that maybe they’ve fixed by now was I couldn’t have an image in multiple albums unless I physically made another copy of it myself which was rather annoying.

Dec 15 21 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
One thing I didn’t like that maybe they’ve fixed by now was I couldn’t have an image in multiple albums unless I physically made another copy of it myself which was rather annoying.

Basically all that you have to do is open the album where the photo(s) is/are stored, click on 'em and bring 'em over to the album that you want to bring them to.  When you release the clicker you'll be given a choice to "Move" or "Collect".  Collect is Smugmugspeak which means 'copy'.

Dec 15 21 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

Basically all that you have to do is open the album where the photo(s) is/are stored, click on 'em and bring 'em over to the album that you want to bring them to.  When you release the clicker you'll be given a choice to "Move" or "Collect".  Collect is Smugmugspeak which means 'copy'.

Thanks!

Dec 15 21 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

I opened a Smugmug account last month to share photos with the models I worked with at a group shoot.  I had 7 or 8 models set up in separate galleries and only one was able to negotiate the site to access her photos.

Sharing photos was the main thing that I wanted them for and I figured that if it was that difficult for the models, it wasn't a good option for me.  I canceled it while still in the 14 day trial and reccieved a refund.  Switched my Dropbox from a free account to a paid one and it worked easily.  Dropbox doesn't have all the features that Smugmug does, but I didn't need them.

Jul 17 22 01:37 pm Link