Forums > Critique > Wrapped in Christmas lights!

Model

Camille Baratti

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Hey everyone! I have a number of fun new photos up for the first time in a long time taken from a legit shoot & not just make-do selfies!

Among several new looks, the most challenging and epic of them involves a Christmas theme, some stellar lighting, & my first time getting sprayed down in olive oil (LOL)!! Thanks to Taylor Brooks Studios for making me look awesome! Would love feedback/honest opinions. Not planning to keep them ALL in my port, hoping some pros can help me sort out the keepers.

Christmas light photos are all in the Lingerie/Censored/Nude album. If you're bored, feel free to tear apart my entire port. Many of the selfies are just modest place holders as I gain more experience, but I always try to evoke a feeling & tell a story, even if it's a silly one. smile

Thanks so much!

Dec 15 21 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

Again, thanks for being willing to hear critiques!

My recommendation:

Keep the B+W (b/c I'm a B+W guy, and I think the image works).
Keep the one titled Heavenly Peace. That's the only other one where the lights are (IMO) meaningful. The rest strike me as a bit more spontaneous than works for this.

Dec 15 21 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

To be honest, I'm not really feeling them at all.    The lights seem out of place for the posing - they don't say "Holidays" and they don't say "Classical Nude". 

From a technical perspective, most are too blurry for my taste.   

I think I would have preferred to see them used as more of a backdrop then a draping for that posing - with some nice bokeh. 

Either that or vastly different posing - with holiday theme, perhaps.

My 2 cents.

Dec 16 21 08:12 am Link

Model

Camille Baratti

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Joe Tomasone wrote:
To be honest, I'm not really feeling them at all.    The lights seem out of place for the posing - they don't say "Holidays" and they don't say "Classical Nude". 

I think I would have preferred to see them used as more of a backdrop then a draping for that posing - with some nice bokeh. 

My 2 cents.

All fair points! Thanks for the feedback. Keeping me in the dark lighting was definitely something new we were trying. Wasn't really trying to make it about Christmas besides the use of the lights and catching the reflective colors. I don't typically do nudes but this seemed like something I could challenge myself with. And a challenge it definitely was lol

Dec 16 21 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Rough Hewn Images

Salem, Oregon, US

Joe Tomasone wrote:

My 2 cents.

I kind of agree that more attention could have been done on the technical aspects (that is on the photog) but the idea is not totally bad.  I have seen some very good ones that have used string lights as the main light source.  What I noticed it the facial expressions are kind of a flat affect in most.  Posing nude may be new but still need to be conscious of the entire pose especially the facial expressions, make them fit the concept.

Dec 19 21 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Camille Baratti wrote:
Hey everyone! I have a number of fun new photos up for the first time in a long time taken from a legit shoot & not just make-do selfies!

Among several new looks, the most challenging and epic of them involves a Christmas theme,[snip]

Camille Baratti wrote:
Wasn't really trying to make it about Christmas besides the use of the lights and catching the reflective colors.[snip]

A Christmas themed shoot not really about Christmas would certainly be challenging to all involved,  I'm actually left scratching My head as to how to pull it off.

Dec 20 21 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Since this is the critique section....

It's a mess. The photos look haphazard and the lights look (for lack of a better word) "splotchy".  This is a mixed light source shoot, and whoever was shooting needs some more practice on the technical aspects of that technique.

The idea may be sound, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

But, that's just my opinion.

Dec 20 21 09:05 am Link

Photographer

JT Life Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

As stated by others the photography doesn't work with the Christmas lights. Not a bad concept and successfully done by others, but doesn't work in this case. The lights look like they were thrown on you and the camera left on automatic. Sorry.

As for the rest of your portfolio it needs culling desperately. Way too many images that are way too similar. The images don't 'sell' your skills as a model, they do look like random Instagram postings.

Cut ANY that your eyes are not absolutely sharp. Cut any that the exposure is off. Cut any that are repetitive. Then cut the numbers down to 20-30 of the absolute best images. Include a few that show you in the last year, so photographers can easily determine what you look like now. It is well known that, ironically, the fewer the images the stronger the impression that can be made.

Typically when I look a portfolio of a model I give it between 5-10 seconds and then move on. I don't think I am unusual in this regards. Your portfolio should be striking enough in that time to 'hook me in' to thinking I might want to work with you in the first 10 or so images.

Good luck,
JT

Dec 20 21 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

JT Life Photography wrote:
As stated by others the photography doesn't work with the Christmas lights. Not a bad concept and successfully done by others, but doesn't work in this case. The lights look like they were thrown on you and the camera left on automatic. Sorry.

As for the rest of your portfolio it needs culling desperately. Way too many images that are way too similar. The images don't 'sell' your skills as a model, they do look like random Instagram postings.

Cut ANY that your eyes are not absolutely sharp. Cut any that the exposure is off. Cut any that are repetitive. Then cut the numbers down to 20-30 of the absolute best images. Include a few that show you in the last year, so photographers can easily determine what you look like now. It is well known that, ironically, the fewer the images the stronger the impression that can be made.

Typically when I look a portfolio of a model I give it between 5-10 seconds and then move on. I don't think I am unusual in this regards. Your portfolio should be striking enough in that time to 'hook me in' to thinking I might want to work with you in the first 10 or so images.

Good luck,
JT

Agreed.

The OP needs to start looking at her portfolio as her resume for jobs. Save the goofy faces and party pics for Instagram and Snapchat.

Dec 20 21 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

Camille,  I agree with the earlier posts.  You want to work with professional people but you show way too much "selfie junkie" work.   If you can mercilessly pare your 176 shots down to about 10-12 that look like what you want to be hired to do that may help you get re-started.

Dec 20 21 01:02 pm Link