Forums > General Industry > Which photographer ...

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Which photographers influenced you, and how did they influence your thinking, photographing, and career path?

For me, it was Lord Patrick Litchfield. In the early 1980's he was the photographer responsible for the UNIPART Calendars. And each year here in Australia they would screen a TV show hosted by Clive James, and release a book called 'Creating the Unipart Calendar', about the behind the scenes making of the UNIPART Calendars. This was my first exposure to the exciting and creative adventures involved in the life of this great glamour photographer and his team. It was these TV shows and books that first influenced me to want to be a photographer.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Un … BasicHover

Dec 30 21 07:48 am Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Actually two.
David Douglas Duncan in the world of Journalism and general photography for his documentary photography from WWi
I till Vietnam, his work with Picasso, Life magazine and other

Peter Gowland for his beauty and glamor

Add Karsh for classic portraiture

Dec 30 21 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Jefferson Cole

Prague, Prague, Czech Republic

PeteTurner for his breathtaking color compositions, Walker Evans for his thoroughly artistic documentary work, and Reinhart Wolf capturing absolutely any subject matter with equal brillance.

Dec 30 21 10:46 am Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I started shooting in the early 90's and Elle Magazine was at it's peak, I loved what Giles Bensimon was producing and then there's Patrick Demarchelier, both of which I have great respect for. Since I later gravitated to Food images, Noel Barnhart is perhaps the most respected.

Dec 30 21 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

tcphoto wrote:
I started shooting in the early 90's and Elle Magazine was at it's peak, I loved what Giles Bensimon was producing and then there's Patrick Demarchelier, both of which I have great respect for. Since I later gravitated to Food images, Noel Barnhart is perhaps the most respected.

I also enjoy and the photography of Gilles Bensimon and Patrick Demarchelier. Another favourite of mine is Marco Glaviano.

http://www.marcoglaviano.com

I have a collection of beautiful coffee table books by all three of these amazing photographers.

Dec 30 21 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Yes, I thought that I'd indulge myself and list a second but there were so many more that influenced me in my early career. The work of Arthur Elgort, Peter Lindberg, Marco Glaviano and others made an impression on me. The 90's were a great period in Fashion Photography and I spent a lot of time at bookstores browsing books and magazines. You remember bookstores, right?

Jan 03 22 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

tcphoto wrote:
Yes, I thought that I'd indulge myself and list a second but there were so many more that influenced me in my early career. The work of Arthur Elgort, Peter Lindberg, Marco Glaviano and others made an impression on me. The 90's were a great period in Fashion Photography and I spent a lot of time at bookstores browsing books and magazines. You remember bookstores, right?

There has never been a Book Store in my small hometown. That said, I do possess books by all these photographers and many others too.

My latest purchase is A Third Generation of Guess? Images. Another favourite is Ralph Lauren (50 Years).

Jan 03 22 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Guy Bourdin and Cyril Lagel

Jan 03 22 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

LA StarShooter wrote:
Guy Bourdin and Cyril Lagel

Until now, both photographers were unknown to me. I plan to remedy this and educate myself, thank you!

Australia has produced it's share of supermodels from Elle Macpherson to Miranda Kerr.

https://www.rolexmagazine.com/2010/02/r … ellow.html

And so it goes for famous Australian  photographers. Graham Shearer - his 1993 and 1994 calendars of Elle Macpherson are  superb examples of what influences me most. Russel James's work with Miranda Kerr and many of the other Victoria Secrets models, including the release of his own coffee table books.

Jan 04 22 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

JT Life Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Don McCullin, Catherine Leroy, David Bailey and Ken Marcus.

All produced (produce) images that convey a message, something I strive for in my own work.

Jan 05 22 04:24 am Link

Photographer

Grandart

Chicago, Illinois, US

Edward Weston and Ansel Adams were two great influences on my and so were two of their assistants/neighbors Morley Baer and Al Weber. Their philosophies and work methods were admirable and worth adapting for my own use.

Jan 05 22 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Grandart

Chicago, Illinois, US

Edward Weston and Ansel Adams were two great influences on me and so were two of their assistants/neighbors Morley Baer and Al Weber. Their philosophies and work methods were admirable and worth adapting for my own use.

Jan 05 22 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

I'm probably just easily impressed! I get influenced and inspired about 10 times a day on Instagram alone if i look through it, The amount of talent out there is just amazing.
Of course lots of the famous photographers have been an influence but some of the more cutting edge old timers like Melvin Sokolsky and Mapplethorpe stand out.
Young photographers like joey L and the fashion of Ella Manor and for sheer creativity in everything he does is Dave Hill whose 3D and composite work is just fascinating and awe inspiring. But the only portrait I've seen live that just blew me away was Hendrik Kerstens, Hairnet. A 50x60 work shot on an 8x10 negative. It was larger than life and was breathing it was so real!
As Ansel Adams said, "photography is all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard and all the people you have loved" !!!
John

Jan 06 22 12:18 am Link

Photographer

Varton Photography

New York, New York, US

Camera Buff wrote:
Which photographers influenced you, and how did they influence your thinking, photographing, and career path?

I was influenced a lot more by pinup illustrators and painters like Gil Elvgren then other photographers.

Jan 07 22 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Varton Photography wrote:
I was influenced a lot more by pinup illustrators and painters like Gil Elvgren then other photographers.

Yes, I also like the Pin-Up Artistry of Illustrators, Painters and Photographers. Perhaps you'll also like this:
https://fineartamerica.com/art/photographs/pinup

Jan 09 22 04:21 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Camera Buff wrote:

Dean Colliins.  Not really known much anymore with the younger crowd but he alone put me on the right path to this career.

Yes, at photography school (Daytona Beach CC) we had many well known photographers come and speak and/or give workshops and I admired them all.  Eddie Adams, Mary Ellen Mark, Arnold Newman, Yousuf Karsh and even Ken Marcus, who posts on here came by my first year.  But I was more of a commercial guy early on.

Dean gave day long seminars about lighting.  The first time I saw him I was still in school and clueless about lighting.  He opened my eyes during a seminar in Atlanta.  My instructor new him, introduced me and we became lifelong friends until his untimely death.  I would help him with many of his shows and even spend some time in San Diego with him. 

I was also taught portraiture by a great portrait photographer named Chris Larsen.  He actually shot a lot of old Hollywood stars.  He was the head photographer for a portrait studio I was with for awhile.  He was great.  Especially posing in the classic style. 

Both gone now but I owe my career to those guys.

Jan 09 22 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Varton Photography

New York, New York, US

Camera Buff wrote:
Perhaps you'll also like this:
https://fineartamerica.com/art/photographs/pinup

Umm looks like a cool site and I am thinking of joining it. wink
Thank you

Jan 10 22 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Richard Manville

Los Angeles, California, US

I always come back to Richard Avedon and Irving Penn. There are many more but a good portion were likely equally influenced by these two.

Jan 10 22 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Richard Manville wrote:
I always come back to Richard Avedon and Irving Penn. There are many more but a good portion were likely equally influenced by these two.

Nastassja Kinski and the Serpent by Irving Penn had a profound influence on my photography.

http://anyageorgijevic.com/wp-content/u … G_6431.png

I saw this amazing image for the first time as a signed poster print on sale in the window of an art gaĺlery. I was a cadet at the time and it was way too expensive to purchase on my low income. It turns out it may have made a very good investment!

Jan 10 22 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

sacretninja

Sun Valley, Nevada, US

Brett Weston,

I am inspired by his abstract landscape photos, and his nude female model photos, which evoked his landscape photos, with their sensuous curves.

Jan 23 22 12:47 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

sacretninja wrote:
Brett Weston,

I am inspired by his abstract landscape photos, and his nude female model photos, which evoked his landscape photos, with their sensuous curves.

Thank you for introducing me to Brett Weston. I enjoyed viewing the images in .... THE PORTFOLIOS OF BRETT WESTON - https://www.lodima.org/brett-weston

Jan 23 22 02:38 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

Weegee, or Arthur Fellig was a great photographer, so was Diane Arbus. Don McCullin is another photographer I have a lot of respect for.
As far as model photography goes, Zoltan Glass, Andre de Dienes, Harrison Marks and Peter Gowland did pioneering work in the 1950s and 1960s. Ed Alexander, Donald Milne and Siwer Ohlsson are a few others who perhaps deserve more recognition.

Jan 23 22 04:59 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

oy..what a list

Alfred Cheney Johnston, Irving Penn, Avedon, Larry Clark, Arbus, August Sander, just recently re-discovered Sarah Moon... and of course many, many un-named mug shot and crime scene photographers

and a crapload more

Jan 25 22 09:58 am Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

sacretninja wrote:
Brett Weston,

IIRC, he has an account here.

Jan 25 22 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

He is not a famous name, has not achieved vast industry notoriety but he is in my mind the most top shelf professional international commercial photographer in the Colorado region. He has forgotten more about the craft than I will ever know and he hasn't forgotten anything I am aware of.

I had the sincere pleasure of being his assistant for over a year after my time at a local collage where he was one of my professors. What I learned the most from that experience is how rare someone of his commercial skills can be and how hard of work it is to do so. He is an artist and people person first. He will try to look inside of you to see what he wants to express about you.

Just when you think you are catching up to understanding where he is at you will find another level you didn't even see before was there. This video is one recent example.

https://vimeo.com/666145865?fbclid=IwAR … 4YNDWjMwQU

Jan 26 22 05:31 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

If we are talking legends I would have to include Hal Gould. I had the pleasure to meet this man shortly before the closing of his art gallery in Denver. I got to experience from him the destruction of the idea that black and white is black and white. His work was dripping in gold flake and silver. He was just a level I hadn't seen before from the web.

Sadly as he died at 95 in 2015 he was old school, seemingly resistant to digital and anything web. I cannot find much to show examples of what I am talking about to share which means his work could in time could disappear from much of the conversation.

This dang thing is the closest example I could find.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/th … ?s=612x612

Jan 26 22 06:02 am Link