Forums > Model Colloquy > Separate Social Media Accounts?

Model

Seaton Kay-Smith

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I'd be curious to get people's opinion on separating modelling from personal life on social media. Do other models set up separate accounts for work and life?

On the one hand, it's all you. So, keeping everything on the one profile makes sense, plus you've already got followers so that lends credibility when photographers look at your profile.

On the other hand, for me - who only started shooting recently - my audience is there for drawings and comedy (and friends for my personal life) and I would worry that if I start regularly posting pics of myself in various states of undress, it's not what they're there for and it might make some people uncomfortable. (Though I know, that's on them).

I'm thinking of social media not so much as a promotional tool (building my profile) but more as a portfolio and a means of finding and connecting with local photographers. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Ta.

Jul 13 22 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Eternal Photos

Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Most models (who have been in it more than a few fun shoots with friends) I see on IG have separate accounts for modeling.  Obvious reasons is keeping the creeps from knowing too many details (where you live, family work etc...)  And for keeping your family from seeing some shots (grandma may not approve. lol)  Helps in keeping work messages from personal ones...

Jul 13 22 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Eternal Photos

Belleville, Ontario, Canada

I've even seen models have different modeling accounts.  (One a "Clean" fashion / runway / "clothed" portfolio) and another perhaps for nudes or fetish work. Sort of like you see photogrpahers have one website for weddings/prom / portraits and another for swimsuit model / nudes...  Keeps clients searching for weddings to finding that side of his work and not be turned off if they think sme modeling shots are too risque for their taste.

Jul 13 22 06:44 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I don't really use social media but it makes the most sense if you are concerned about people finding out things you might not want them to know, that you should keep things separate, and use a stage name for your modelling work which can't be traced directly back to you.

I worked for a very conservative employer for a really long time, and modelled naked for art and photography classes, artists, and photographers for most of that time as well but I never allowed the artists or photographers I posed for to use my real name in association with any images of me they chose to display.

I was still recognized several times in public places such as while shopping or eating at a restaurant, by people who had seen work I had posed for. I can imagine that it would be much easier for someone to recognize a person online.

Jul 15 22 06:25 am Link

Model

Seaton Kay-Smith

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Thanks MatureModelMM and Eternal Photos, much appreciated. I'll make a second account. Cheers, Seaton.

Jul 18 22 06:07 am Link