Forums > General Industry > What do you want in a studio

Photographer

Eleven 11 Photography

Auburn, Alabama, US

All,

Looking to start a new studio and I'm curious what services/amenities you'd want to see in a studio. Input welcome from everybody, but along with your input I'd like to know how often you actually rent a studio.

Jul 14 22 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

I am just switching studios, so I have given this some thought. Both were spaces that I rented on an ongoing basis with a monthly rent, and where I am could store my gear (lighting, primarily, though there have been other storage items including backdrops, fans, props, etc). Oh, and my agreement had been one day a week. New one is similar.

What I need:

Decent size space (around 20x40) with high ceilings (10' minimum).
Affordable rates
Flexibility about booking
Either multi-roll seamless or a 20% grey cyclorama
Plenty of high quality power (I usually run a pair of 2000 WS packs)
Ventilation, and adequate heat (cooling is mostly a non-issue where I live)
Privacy
Wifi desirable, but not required
A small refrigerator and a microwave desirable
Reasonably close to where I live
Ideally close to public transportation
Lease terms that make sense (I was asked to sign a lease that could incorporate by reference terms from a master lease that I could not see, and that could change. Nope!)

What I want, but had to give up because #2 above would not be met going forward at my current space

14' minimum width cyc backdrop
Wood or marley floors
20' minimum ceiling height
(the above because I shoot modern dance)

Jul 14 22 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Eleven 11 Photography

Auburn, Alabama, US

We have:
Decent size space (around 20x40) with high ceilings (25' ).
Either multi-roll seamless or a 20% grey cyclorama
Plenty of high quality power
Ventilation, and adequate cooling
Privacy
Wifi
25' minimum width cyc backdrop

Would you mind defining these a little more:
Affordable rates
Flexibility about booking

I believe Studio A is 30x40 and studio B is 40x80, maybe 40x100. Studio B also has a door you can bring a car into. Lots of three phase power and some windows if you want natural light. What do you think is reasonable for those?

Jul 14 22 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

Sounds like great space.

By flexibility, I mean that if I have a standing booking for every Saturday, I should be able to switch it to another day, assuming the studio is not in use. Another way of creating flexibility is to have tenants pay for a block of time they can use as desired, on a space available basis.

I don't think you addressed storage. If you are including lights (strobes and/or continuous LED lights), that's not so much an issue. But if you want regular tenants, asking them to store lights/power packs elsewhere and schlep them in each time adds time, and stress, and physical strain.

PM me if you want some specifics of costs. We are in very different real estate markets, so I don't think SF Bay area rents will tell you much about what's reasonable in Alabama.

Jul 14 22 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Eleven 11 Photography

Auburn, Alabama, US

matt-h2 wrote:
Sounds like great space.

By flexibility, I mean that if I have a standing booking for every Saturday, I should be able to switch it to another day, assuming the studio is not in use. Another way of creating flexibility is to have tenants pay for a block of time they can use as desired, on a space available basis.

I don't think you addressed storage. If you are including lights (strobes and/or continuous LED lights), that's not so much an issue. But if you want regular tenants, asking them to store lights/power packs elsewhere and schlep them in each time adds time, and stress, and physical strain.

PM me if you want some specifics of costs. We are in very different real estate markets, so I don't think SF Bay area rents will tell you much about what's reasonable in Alabama.

I'm truly hoping we don't end up with someone who wants EVERY Saturday. Thats going to be a little rough on the other members.

Half of this building is offices. 7 of those offices are dedicated to arts or arts adjacent folks. Those offices come with storage so that takes care of that. Another 7 folks will pay for 10 hours a month and they get a storage locker on site. Should hold a decent amount of kit. They also have access to a prop room and a wardrobe room. And we plan to have two full sets of equipment (two strobes, 1 hot light, 3 modifiers and stands). Nothing fancy but its available at a small additional fee.

Jul 14 22 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I'd just be happy with a can of Tweaker-B-Gon.

Jul 14 22 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I have a large piece of rural property on which I built a building to serve as a studio. But I no longer do paid work, just for fun.

However, determining your needs depends on what you plan to shoot.

Things I needed were:
Tall ceilings
Large open area
A furnished room to look like a home
Natural light
Restroom
Storage
An outdoor area suitable for shooting if the mood strikes

Things a commercial wedding / portrait studio might need in addition to above.
Waiting area
Ample parking
Office

Back when I operated a studio for income I managed to find a location in a strip mall next door to a post office. It had a large glass front where I was able to display work with a lot of foot traffic. When I rented it the mall was not in the best of shape but a large new anchor store leased a building there and they remodeled the entire shopping center. It became very popular and I had a very low rent and a lease I had an option of renewing annually with a maximum increase in rent limited to just 1.5 percent. I didn't like the commercial mall type building because there was no place to shoot privately using natural light. But it served me well for many years.

If I had it to do over again I'd look for a huge old house with tall ceilings, large rooms, and character on a piece of land convenient to the people I hoped to serve. Of course it would have to be in an area where the zoning codes allowed a business. I hate commercial buildings unless it might be a huge old brick building with large windows and lots of character.

Jul 15 22 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Eleven 11 Photography

Auburn, Alabama, US

Znude! wrote:
I have a large piece of rural property on which I built a building to serve as a studio. But I no longer do paid work, just for fun.

However, determining your needs depends on what you plan to shoot.

Things I needed were:
Tall ceilings
Large open area
A furnished room to look like a home
Natural light
Restroom
Storage
An outdoor area suitable for shooting if the mood strikes

Things a commercial wedding / portrait studio might need in addition to above.
Waiting area
Ample parking
Office

Back when I operated a studio for income I managed to find a location in a strip mall next door to a post office. It had a large glass front where I was able to display work with a lot of foot traffic. When I rented it the mall was not in the best of shape but a large new anchor store leased a building there and they remodeled the entire shopping center. It became very popular and I had a very low rent and a lease I had an option of renewing annually with a maximum increase in rent limited to just 1.5 percent. I didn't like the commercial mall type building because there was no place to shoot privately using natural light. But it served me well for many years.

If I had it to do over again I'd look for a huge old house with tall ceilings, large rooms, and character on a piece of land convenient to the people I hoped to serve. Of course it would have to be in an area where the zoning codes allowed a business. I hate commercial buildings unless it might be a huge old brick building with large windows and lots of character.

Thank you for this. However I know exactly what I want and this space has that. I’m trying to make sure I’m not overlooking anything my renters/members might want lol.

Jul 15 22 08:35 am Link

Photographer

tim48v

Fort Lupton, Colorado, US

We're finally building our new studio and are going to install a cyclorama. The space is about 20'x30' with 15' ceilings.

The big money question: are two curved walls (L shaped) really worth the extra effort or will one wall be enough? We'll be shooting mainly portraits, bodyscapes and small groups and I don't really see the need for the second wall. Am I missing something?

Oct 10 22 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

tim48v wrote:
We're finally building our new studio and are going to install a cyclorama. The space is about 20'x30' with 15' ceilings.

The big money question: are two curved walls (L shaped) really worth the extra effort or will one wall be enough? We'll be shooting mainly portraits, bodyscapes and small groups and I don't really see the need for the second wall. Am I missing something?

I worked for a number of years in dozens of the top studios in Chicago as both a freelance assistant and in building sets and props. One wall should work fine for your needs. The only studio I ever saw with a two-wall cyc was in a large film-studio where we sometimes did long sweeping shots.

EDIT: Oh no, I resurrected a zombie-thread! Sorry!

Oct 10 22 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

If you seek additional input PM me and I can provide some of my own preferences (that I wouldn’t want to expose to public scrutiny) so you have some insight into what this photographer really thinks (which some may ridicule as bizarre! LoL)

Oct 11 22 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Al_Vee Photography

Asheville, North Carolina, US

...a low monthly membership fee, that can be canceled any time...

Oct 12 22 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Eleven 11 Photography

Auburn, Alabama, US

Al_Vee Photography wrote:
...a low monthly membership fee, that can be canceled any time...

Low is pretty relative. However our membership is free. You have to become a member to get access tot he studio but there is no cost for membership. As a member you pay $75 an hour to rent the studio. You can also subscribe and pay a monthly fee of $600 to get 10 hours a month.

For a 6000 square foot space I'd consider that to be pretty low.

Oct 13 22 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Eleven 11 Photography

Auburn, Alabama, US

If any is curious our website is here: https://www.opelikaartfactory.com

You can also look at our socials to see videos of the space itself and how things are goign, we are @opelikaaf

We are currently in a soft opening stage where we are getting photographers and models into the space to help build buzz, but we should finish up the green room (dressing rooms and makeup) this week, finish filling the prop room this weekend and star building out the wardrobe and equipment rooms in the next week.

Oct 13 22 07:24 am Link