Forums > Accomplishments, Achievements and High Fives > I Am Featured In George Pitts' Upcoming Book

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I got an email from George's widow the other day saying they wanted to feature a photograph of me in a book he wanted to publish but never got to finish - or maybe start? I'm not sure.

I had been working with George for 10 years before his death in 2017. If you are not familiar, George Pitts was the Director of Photography at Vibe Magazine, the Assistant Professor of Photography at Parsons School of Design, and became the Director of Photography at Life magazine. His work has been published by The New York Times Magazine, New York Magazine, and other publications. In addition to his "day job", George worked on personal projects in a wide range of photographic genres. He died in 2017.

NONE OF THAT MATTERS , ever, to me. Ever. I don't care if someone picked up a camera yesterday or is famous. I have quite a list of famous people I have worked with. They are just the same as every other person that hires me. Always.

When George passed away I was gutted. One of my favorite human beings I have ever encountered was gone. He bothered to question how and why I thought the way I did, in a VERY productive way. He was just interested in us models. As people. I posed a question about objectivity to him before our last shoot and he thanked me for making him pause for thought. It was one of the most positive and thoughtful things that has ever happened in my career. We had dialogue... long LONG dialogue. I miss that...terribly. With him and the fact that this "industry" is dead. But when I received that email, I cried...quite happy tears.

Here's the email:

Dear Sarah,

This is George’s widow *** Pitts, writing on behalf of George, myself, and my publisher Matthew Leifheit of MATTE EDITIONS.

We are excited to be progressing towards publication of some of George’s work in a book to be titled CERTAIN WOMEN.

We’ve chosen to include a photograph George shot of you during the course of your collaboration.

We will identify you by your first name — Sarah — unless you instruct otherwise.

We'd love to send you a copy of the book once it's printed.
Please send your updated mailing address in response to this email.

Let me emphasize how much George valued your empathetic creative relationship, which gave rise to your open explorations together.
In addition to yielding some extraordinary images, working with you sparked his imagination and made him very happy.

Thank you for your contribution to preserving and expanding his legacy as a fine art photographer and artist.

Sincerely,
— in George’s stead

P.S. THIS is why I am sad about the slow death of this website. This. Right. Here.

Jul 20 22 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

David A Reichel

San Diego, California, US

Thank you for sharing this.  Truly remarkable experience you had with Mr. Pitts.

Jul 21 22 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Thanks for taking the time to share this Sarah.
I was a fan of Mr Pitts so just seeing his name mentioned/remembered is nice.

Jul 21 22 11:27 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Thank you. It all means a lot, really.

Jul 21 22 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

I cannot think of a more deserving individual, and honestly, learning of this doesn't surprise me at all, because you are that amazing!

Jul 23 22 05:44 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

JQuest wrote:
I cannot think of a more deserving individual, and honestly, learning of this doesn't surprise me at all, because you are that amazing!

Thank you!! <3

Jul 24 22 06:53 pm Link

Model

Papro

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Post hidden on Jul 26, 2022 04:55 pm
Reason: off-topic

Jul 26 22 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Hey Papro, what does your post have to do with George Pitts and Model Sarah?

Congratulations Sarah!

Jul 26 22 04:46 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Mark Salo wrote:
Hey Papro, what does your post have to do with George Pitts and Model Sarah?

Congratulations Sarah!

Thank you Mark! I dunno who the "model" is but he was removed, I suppose, so I didn't see it.

Jul 31 22 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Congratulations,

It is great that his work and your work will live on.

Aug 01 22 01:33 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Congratulations, Sarah.  You've worked hard over the years and this is a payoff.

Oct 06 22 08:30 am Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

Congratulations! And well deserved.

I was in contact with George about working together around the time of his death. I always heard lovely things about him from models. It is a sad thing about this website declining - it's harder to establish these sorts of artistic relationships.

Jun 23 23 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Liv Sage wrote:

I was in contact with George about working together around the time of his death. I always heard lovely things about him from models. It is a sad thing about this website declining - it's harder to establish these sorts of artistic relationships.

Thank you for bumping this!

Jun 23 23 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Model Sarah wrote:
I got an email from George's widow the other day saying they wanted to feature a photograph of me in a book he wanted to publish but never got to finish - or maybe start? I'm not sure.

I have been working with George for 10 years before his death in 2017. If you are not familiar, George Pitts was the Director of Photography at Vibe Magazine, the Assistant Professor of Photography at Parsons School of Design, and became the Director of Photography at Life magazine. His work has been published by The New York Times Magazine, New York Magazine, and other publications. In addition to his "day job", George worked on personal projects in a wide range of photographic genres. He died in 2017.

NONE OF THAT MATTERS , ever, to me. Ever. I don't care if someone picked up a camera yesterday or is famous. I have quite a list of famous people I have worked with. They are just the same as every other person that hires me. Always.

When George passed away I was gutted. One of my favorite human beings I have ever encountered was gone. He bothered to question how and why I thought the way I did, in a VERY productive way. He was just interested in us models. As people. I posed a question about objectivity to him before our last shoot and he thanked me for making him pause for thought. It was one of the most positive and thoughtful things that has ever happened in my career. We had dialogue... long LONG dialogue. I miss that...terribly. With him and the fact that this "industry" is dead. But when I received that email, I cried...quite happy tears.

Here's the email:

Dear Sarah,

This is George’s widow *** Pitts, writing on behalf of George, myself, and my publisher Matthew Leifheit of MATTE EDITIONS.

We are excited to be progressing towards publication of some of George’s work in a book to be titled CERTAIN WOMEN.

We’ve chosen to include a photograph George shot of you during the course of your collaboration.

We will identify you by your first name — Sarah — unless you instruct otherwise.

We'd love to send you a copy of the book once it's printed.
Please send your updated mailing address in response to this email.

Let me emphasize how much George valued your empathetic creative relationship, which gave rise to your open explorations together.
In addition to yielding some extraordinary images, working with you sparked his imagination and made him very happy.

Thank you for your contribution to preserving and expanding his legacy as a fine art photographer and artist.

Sincerely,
— in George’s stead

P.S. THIS is why I am sad about the slow death of this website. This. Right. Here.

Congratulations and I hope all is well for you!  You are a legacy model on this site, and greatly appreciated!

Jun 23 23 08:32 pm Link

Model

ERICA JAY

New York, New York, US

I was lucky enough to take his photo class at Parson's for a semester while I was in undergrad.. such a special person. The syllabus was 62 pages long!

Jul 16 23 03:47 pm Link

Model

ERICA JAY

New York, New York, US

Matthew Leifheit Is a lovely person too! What a team

Jul 20 23 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Skylark Photo

Austin, Texas, US

Congratulations. Maybe one day I'll have enough material that I can consider a book, too.

Aug 03 23 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Sin Eater Media

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

That's wonderful news, Sarah!

George was an amazing artist and a captivating thinker. I was fortunate to have the chance to pick his brain years ago. (I actually have a few hours of interview footage with George that I would love to share with his widow (I know her name, but don't have her contact info -- if you PM me, I can provide you an email that she can reach me at).

PS -- I'm also saddened by the death of this website -- I was a *very* early member before I walked away almost a decade ago.

Aug 06 23 12:15 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Liv Sage wrote:

I am having a VERY tough time in life currently financially and personally (losing my mom last year and my dad is going through chemo after a cancer diagnoses - not sure how long he has. I am way too young for this)

Reading all of these comments made me so happy to the point of tears so thank you all. I needed that.

Sep 04 23 01:38 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

ERICA JAY wrote:
I was lucky enough to take his photo class at Parson's for a semester while I was in undergrad.. such a special person. The syllabus was 62 pages long!

THAT is a good teacher is what that is.

You are very lucky, Erica! I truly adored that man and every single time we shot together was an EXPERIENCE. He made me pause for thought and truly appreciated me as a person, model, and I wish there were other people out there like him. He was truly a gem.

Sep 04 23 01:40 pm Link