Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Hurricane Ian

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

I hope ALL our members, their families and friends have safely evacuated from the path of this  storm---

If not evacuated, I hope you are tucked in somewhere safe with all the supplies you need to get thru the next few days.

As I write this the strong storm effects are just beginning to come ashore-  Ian is a FULL Category 4 still with the possibility of becoming a Category 5 storm.

Sep 28 22 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

rfordphotos wrote:
I hope ALL our members, their families and friends have safely evacuated from the path of this  storm---

If not evacuated, I hope you are tucked in somewhere safe with all the supplies you need to get thru the next few days.

As I write this the strong storm effects are just beginning to come ashore-  Ian is a FULL Category 4 still with the possibility of becoming a Category 5 storm.

Wondering how many Floridians fleeing from the destruction and devastation of their homes would appreciate being scammed by their corrupt governor into boarding planes and buses taking them to shelter only to find they are being dumped somewhere far from home  without warning or any preparation whatsoever, with the knowledge that the governor's political allies were profiting from their vulnerability and distress.

Sep 28 22 10:15 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Floridians have been phoning the Governor's Office over the last few days, claiming to be Venezuelan and asking to be flown out...

Or at least that's the joke making the rounds.

But seriously, Floridians, stay safe.

Sep 28 22 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

I've been riding out hurricanes since I moved here in 1973. Yeah, it gets scary sometimes, other times it's just when will it be over. But, if Il Duce, I mean Gov. DeSantis, wants to fly me and my family somewhere on the state's dime, our bags are packed.

We're having some wind and rain here in the middle of the state, but not too bad. The eye of the storm will be here in the morning and I expect wind and rain will pick up. I'm very glad we don't live on either coast. Where we live outside of Orlando, we're around 100 feet above sea level.

REO Speedwagon: https://youtu.be/GVFgEBq0EKM

Sep 28 22 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

rfordphotos wrote:

Focuspuller wrote:
Wondering how many Floridians fleeing from the destruction and devastation of their homes would appreciate being scammed by their corrupt governor into boarding planes and buses taking them to shelter only to find they are being dumped somewhere far from home  without warning or any preparation whatsoever, with the knowledge that the governor's political allies were profiting from their vulnerability and distress.

Focuspuller, you're such a good-hearted soul.

Sep 29 22 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Managing Light wrote:

Focuspuller, you're such a good-hearted soul.

Yes, I am. Thank you.

Sep 29 22 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

Hey.... at least Desantis gave them a ride. the democrats make the children do the border journey by themselves. and maybe if the children are lucky.... the parents taped a HELP sign on the kids clothes! yay   

could be worse, Obama was putting them into cages.

Oct 03 22 03:18 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
Hey.... at least Desantis gave them a ride. the democrats make the children do the border journey by themselves. and maybe if the children are lucky.... the parents taped a HELP sign on the kids clothes! yay   

Care to back any of that garbage up?  Gawd, are you one of those people that aren't happy unless you are blaming other people for what you and 'you lot' did and have failed to do.

Oct 03 22 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

".... at least Desantis gave them a ride."

You find that stunt funny, do you? Figures. Other people's misery is not your concern unless it affects your bottom line.. No, DeSantis TOOK them for a ride, promising jobs, housing and resettlement. But who could  ever replace Dumbo Donnie but another dishonest mean-spirited cultist for you to defend.

"could be worse, Obama was putting them into cages."

But you LOVE Obama, remember? Or was it just too long ago? Or maybe you just love rightists who make you richer.

"During the most recent 29 years during which Republicans have held the presidency, the value of the Dow has increased by 166%. During the Democratic presidencies, it has increased by 1894%- 11.4 times faster."

http://politicsthatwork.com/graphs/sp-5 … e-by-party

It's all you care about, right? RIGHT?

Oct 03 22 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Hey.... at least Desantis gave them a ride.

Just about every other Republican (other than Tony) has gone to GREAT LENGTHS to avoid bringing up politics, DeSantis or hypocrisy, when it comes to this Florida Hurricane thread.

Why?  Well, let's see...

- DeSantis voted AGAINST large hurricane relief for New York's Sandy Hook hurricane.  He also separately voted against any form of financial support for the victims.  He made clear that he was philosophically opposed to the entire concept.   Now, of course he wants (and was immediately backed by Biden) for both the State of Florida, and the individual victims, to get full funding from the Federal Gov't.

- ALL 16 Florida Republican Members of Congress just voted AGAINST an emergency "government funding bill that contained $18.8 billion in Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) funds... that Florida officials could use to speed recovery from Ian".

- Both Florida Republican Senators also came out against the emergency funding bill.  But to try and "bury that news", Senators Marco Rubio and Rick Scott, then sent a letter to the Senate Appropriations Committee asking for a “robust and timely federal response” to the hurricane. “Hurricane Ian will be remembered and studied as one of the most devastating hurricanes to hit the United States,” they wrote.  Right after they fought the emergency funding bill.

- DeSantis proudly announced a few days ago that the donations he'd asked the public to make (to help out with Florida hurricane relief), had passed the $12 Million mark.  You know, the exact amount he budgeted from State funds (as Tony put it) to "give immigrants a ride" from Texas to Massachusetts.

By the way, Congress and the Senate DID pass that emergency funding bill, DESPITE the votes of all the Florida Republican members and a majority of Republicans in the House.  Thankfully, the overall majority of both houses weren't as cruel.  And Gov. DeSantis, at least, had the brains to be completely upfront, and politely thankful, about his total reversal on the issue.

---

THANK-YOU TONY for raising the political issue which illustrates the unbelievable cruelty and complete hypocrisy of the majority of Republicans in Congress, when it comes to financial help for the Florida hurricane.  As I said, no other Republican supporter has DARED to bring up this particular subject, for rather obvious reasons...

Oct 03 22 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

rfordphotos wrote:

I just got back from Pine Island/Sanibel, I was helping with the boats doing water rescues and ferrying supplies to the barrier islands  .  .  .  as bad as the images look on the airways, it doesn't come close to showing the level of devastation that Ian brought ashore  .  .  .  I was in Haiti after they were battered by multiple storms and in the Abacos after Dorian roared through, once again Mother Nature has shown her power and scope with overwhelming fury  .  .  .  let's all just try and keep the people that have been directly affected in our thoughts, it's gonna be a very long recovery!

SOS

Oct 04 22 04:28 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

excerpts:

Florida has added nearly 3 million people since 2010. And the Fort Myers area, which was ravaged by Ian’s deadly storm surge, was recently named the sixth fastest-growing city in the country by the US Census Bureau. The population in the Fort Myers-Cape Coral metro area was around 444,000 in 2000, according to Census Bureau data. By 2021 it had ballooned to more than 787,000.

Politics of rebuilding intensify as Florida's devastation is laid bare
Southwest Florida’s population has “exploded in part because it’s the cheapest part of the state to live,” according to Jesse Keenan, a professor of sustainable real estate at Tulane University’s School of Architecture, who told CNN that “there has been a huge amount of growth in the past several decades.”

Southwest Florida is attractive in large part because it has a good quality of life – it’s sunny, warm and relatively cheap.

But something else is at play: In 2011, Florida’s Republican-controlled state legislature loosened decades-old state regulations meant to keep development in high-risk areas at a reasonable pace, or to discourage developers from building on low-lying wetlands, Keenan said.

Around the same time, former Gov. Rick Scott and Republican lawmakers approved a state budget that got rid of the Department of Community Affairs, a state office regulating growth and development.

“That opened the door for unrestrained development in ways that put people at a lot of risk, particularly flood risks,” Keenan said.

The weakening of those regulations was cheered by Florida’s business community and real estate sector, which framed the move as supercharging economic growth. But that growth started happening in riskier areas that are more vulnerable to storms.

“The bottom line is the state backed out and the counties were left to their own devices without any adult supervision,” said Keenan. “You build where the land’s cheap, and you sell that housing at a comparatively lower price. It was a race, and storms like this really force everybody to take a water break and reevaluate their lives in many ways.”

Jeremy Porter, senior research fellow for the climate risk nonprofit First Street Foundation, also noted that hard-hit Cape Coral was built on a floodplain.

“There’s a tremendous amount of risk,” Porter said.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/04/us/flori … index.html

Oct 04 22 09:38 am Link