Forums > General Industry > Photographers for male models

Model

Colton Ricks

Rexburg, Idaho, US

I know that this has been something I've been thinking about for a long time, but it saddens me that their is so many photographers that won't do shoots with male models. I don't blame them if they have a specific specialty that they have, but even outside of that, I struggle finding photographers in general to work with. What should I do to help me find more modeling jobs?

Sep 28 22 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Al_Vee Photography

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I'm always looking for male models, but I'm located thousands of miles from you. 

It is what it is.

Sep 30 22 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Aisbarika

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Colton Ricks wrote:
I know that this has been something I've been thinking about for a long time, but it saddens me that their is so many photographers that won't do shoots with male models. I don't blame them if they have a specific specialty that they have, but even outside of that, I struggle finding photographers in general to work with. What should I do to help me find more modeling jobs?

My most basic advice is this:

1. Check the Model Forum for Threads about Photographers who shoot males or are open to it.
2. If there is no thread like that, create one, and encourage its promotion. Bump it OFTEN.
3. Get the ModelMayhem Membership. Get the VIP membership. It gives you access to everything.
4. Message as many photographers as you can in your area, and ask them if they shoot males. If they do, then connect with them. You're going to have to message a TON just to get a few responses in some cases.
5. Find out what photographers really like shooting, and then specialize in one or more of those subjects.
6. Make a mailing list for your availability.
7. Go to where the people are. You are a man, Colton, and people are probably going to treat you differently because of it. Put yourself in their face like an annoying commercial!

Oct 02 22 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

It appears that Colton has dropped out of MM.  Must not have liked the advice.

But just one worthless opinion.

smile

Oct 02 22 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Aisbarika

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Nor-Cal Photography wrote:

smile

It's a shame, really, he could've played a young Elon Musk.

Oct 02 22 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Aisbarika wrote:
Put yourself in their face like an annoying commercial!

Great advice for success.

Oct 09 22 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Nor-Cal Photography wrote:

smile

He's here today.

Oct 09 22 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Visit the MM sitewide contests (link along the top if using a desktop/laptop computer browser), and look into the Picture of the Day Male 18+ page. Plenty of photographers are there, and each will shoot with male models. Not all want 18+ images, but your profile indicates you are open to such. The non-18+ POTD contest sometimes have male submissions there. Follow up on those as leads.

Travel may be required.

Some may shoot for trade, some may want to get paid, and there will be some willing to pay. Contact these photographers and negotiate.

Oct 09 22 04:15 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Colton, I looked at your photos and might I suggest you look through some of the male model ports here. They might give you a better idea what makes a good image. When I put together a shoot, I am looking for emergy in the models pictures. We have said this a 1;000 times here, Less is more.  Better to have less images that are amazing then tons of images that are not.  You might want to do an edit on the images you have here.  And a search on here as to what makes a good port. Guessing yu have spent time in the newbie forms?

Oct 19 22 08:45 pm Link

Model

JOHNADAMS

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I am with the original poster.  I have a couple of photographers who have contacted me but nothing to get excited about.  As an older male that narrows the interest ad well, but gonna keep plugging at it.

Nov 15 22 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

JohnTozziPhotography

Seattle, Washington, US

JOHNADAMS wrote:
I am with the original poster.  I have a couple of photographers who have contacted me but nothing to get excited about.  As an older male that narrows the interest ad well, but gonna keep plugging at it.

There are a lot of photographers (like me) on instagram who photograph men, including older men.  You need to expand your search to other venues beyond just this one.

Nov 18 22 09:05 am Link

Model

peter vic

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I model and also photograph/video .... I enjoy shooting male models ..

Nov 23 22 05:44 am Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Your location may be part of the problem. A little over a year ago, I moved from Toledo, Ohio to Lawton, OK.  The modeling community here is MUCH smaller.

I just browsed for photographers within 50 miles of Lawton and got 22.  Within 50 miles of Toledo got 109.
Browsing for models, it was 4 for Lawton, 66 for Toledo.

Reality is that there are fewer fish in a smaller pond.

Nov 25 22 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Adventure Photos

Palos Park, Illinois, US

Check the daily POTD's for men.  Many of those photographers only shoot men.  Then check their profiles and see if any are near enough to contact if long travel is not good.  Also use the search (browse) link and put down city you want and max distance you'd travel for a day shoot.

Nov 25 22 07:41 pm Link