Forums > Critique > Feedback on post-processing

Photographer

CB Photography

San Diego, California, US

I am trying to build my portfolio and get better at post processing. I generally do not like making many adjustments as I want to keep the photos as "true" to natural as I can but with a recent shoot, thought the surroundings supported and almost asked for a bit of a different look. Curious what feedback you have on the below. Thank you in advance!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/47684692

Nov 08 22 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Since you've asked, I'd go for more contrast, brightness, and saturation overall, checking to make sure the shadow/makeup in the cheeks doesn't get too dark. Then see if anything needs a bit of tweaking beyond that, making whichever individual color-hue, saturation and luminance adjustments may please you, while also enhancing the quality of the final image.

In general, pay close attention to the brightness and clarity of eyes, any color-contrasts you may want to enhance, and the smoothness of the skin (e.g., the knees in the image you've provided), which can also be adjusted in post.

While reaching for in-camera perfection will perhaps teach you a lot, don't be afraid of post-processing. It can make a dramatic and very worthwhile difference, especially if you are shooting in RAW, which maximizes your possibilities.

Have fun!

Nov 08 22 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I'm not on a calibrated monitor but it's not far off.

The overall look of the photo is a bit "dingy" without being the sort of "moody" that is compelling in a less bright image.

And the model looks "selected", it's hard to explain that but I see what I see and I've been using Photoshop since version 1.07 in 1992.

To be honest, I might try shooting the image again. The background is not supporting the model but drawing attention away from her. If possible, loosen up the crop a bit, give it a bit more "air". Hope this helps!

Nov 08 22 10:46 pm Link