Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Technology Question....

Photographer

Photographer12years

Everett, Washington, US

Is it okay to hate technology?.....I mean to really hate it. If data had some living form I would hunt it down and kill it. And some how smashing my phone is just not satisfying enough.

Jan 09 23 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Technology is how you posted your rant.
Technology is how you achieve your art.
Technology is how your food arrives to your table.
Technology is how you live.

Heck, even some lost tribe has technology of their own. Someone figure out how to make a pointy stick or put a sharp edge on a rock. That is technology.

Jan 09 23 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

Do you mean, technology in general or digital cameras specifically?

I recently bought some inexpensive folding 120 cameras on ebay. One of them, an Original Gauthier is about 100 years old but it still has huge picture taking potential.

Jan 10 23 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Photographer12years wrote:
Is it okay to hate technology?.....I mean to really hate it. If data had some living form I would hunt it down and kill it. And some how smashing my phone is just not satisfying enough.

You can hate whatever you want to hate, it's a free world.
If you are sincere about this, it's time to go live naked in a cave and eat sticks and dirt until you can kill enough animals to eat and make clothing of their skins.

Otherwise, it's just ineffective discourse and nothing more. Just sayin'.

Are you reading this on the internet or did Jedi Mind Tricks allow you to write my message in the dirt with a stick?
Writing with a stick is pretty advance technology though...

Jan 10 23 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Photographer12years

Everett, Washington, US

Thank you for the responses.....So among other things after not having a radio in my car for 3 years I went and got one pro installed.....It has all these buttons and functions and led color options, I dont even know how to turn it off.

Phones, so much crap running in the back ground and about all I know how to do is turn it off and on. No aps on my phone. And the aps it came with I know nothing about. I just use my phone to make phone calls and send text, kind of a novel idea.

Jan 10 23 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Thank you for the responses.....So among other things after not having a radio in my car for 3 years I went and got one pro installed.....It has all these buttons and functions and led color options, I dont even know how to turn it off.

Phones, so much crap running in the back ground and about all I know how to do is turn it off and on. No aps on my phone. And the aps it came with I know nothing about. I just use my phone to make phone calls and send text, kind of a novel idea.

That's all I do with my phone. Just call and text. That's why I want a phone.
Sometimes I use the camera, it's pretty OK.

I haven't had any sort of music system in a car for decades and the last car I owned died so I had it towed away.

None of that is worth me bothering to stew about it, it's just stuff. Maybe go for a brisk walk fairly often and forget about all the absurd nonsense? I can blow up the world with a guitar, right from my own home. Nobody even hears it, because they are de-molecularized. smile

Jan 10 23 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

New technology can sometimes provide a solution to a longstanding problem with old technology. So for example, if you have an old folding roll film camera which lacks a means of accurately focusing on a subject, you can now buy a laser rangefinder on ebay for under US $20.

Jan 11 23 04:14 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

Smashing one's phone is EXTREMELY satisfying and the more it cost the more satisfying!
I'll bet you've not actually done it? But before you do, go out and get the most expensive phone made then SMASH the crap outs it!
You'll have either a life changing experience or at least a wallet changing experience!!! LoL
John

Jan 11 23 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Photographer12years

Everett, Washington, US

By the time one gets use to technology it changes......As it is changing now IE some idiot out there wants self driving cars and trucks and the upside of this is once it is in use they can put all these long haul truckers out of work and mail carriers out of work and so on. The future will be a great place where no one has a job because computers will do EVERYTHING.

Jan 12 23 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Skylark Photo

Austin, Texas, US

I've been weaning myself off relying on my iPhone for anything other than calls, texts, and the camera. No email. No apps. I need figure out a decent alternative for Authy. I don't hate technology but I prefer to use it on my own terms.

Mar 29 23 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Percolated Photo wrote:
I've been weaning myself off relying on my iPhone for anything other than calls, texts, and the camera. No email. No apps. I need figure out a decent alternative for Authy. I don't hate technology but I prefer to use it on my own terms.

Now THIS is a mature and reasoned response to the technology development curve we're on.

Mar 30 23 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

By the time one gets use to technology it changes......As it is changing now IE some idiot out there wants self driving cars and trucks and the upside of this is once it is in use they can put all these long haul truckers out of work and mail carriers out of work and so on. The future will be a great place where no one has a job because computers will do EVERYTHING.

Yep, and everyone will starve to death on your lawn. Buy a shovel.
Maybe try a good laxative.

Mar 30 23 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Adventure Photos

Palos Park, Illinois, US

OK, I'm an old fart.  I enjoy the simple use of a computer, email and sometimes even a borrowed Android phone. What I hate is the "needless upgrades',,the new models out hardly 14 months after the last upgrade.   More re-learing of an operating system.  Computers did it first. Then the phones . And the cost of communication these days?  OMG. To own an iPhone, pay for a data and usage plan,  can run over a couple thousand bucks per year!     Even at a 'cheap' rate of 120 per month for wifi and internet services, that's more than my electric and gas bills combined total for the year!
    I had a nice simple push button 3 task scanner, printer, copier for years.  Costs did come down on new ones. But they kept changing the ink, and increasing ink costs, and ink was very hard to find during Covid years.    Now to scan, I have to go online to HP Smart, and mess around waiting for that to load and work on my old computer, and when I pick 'image' to scan, it ends up coming back as a text file.  Plus the scan takes over 3 minutes !  Print is a minute per page,.  Only copy is fast.   Reason to hate my 'new' printer,,,?  YES>
      I have always been a bit resistant to change. But needless change' just for the sake of making a device slightly better than the last model, is just insane.     I'd still have my $ 35.00 flip phone , used only for calls, not text or photos.  If Virgin Mobile hadn't folded up and left me behind.    So I can see how unending technology can be enough to make you want to blow up your phone and other devices.

Mar 30 23 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Adventure Photos

Palos Park, Illinois, US

Percolated Photo wrote:

I like that.   The Android phone I borrow for emergency travel use, keep changing what it can do,,even the sounds I learned for an incoming text, etc. have all changed.  Not by me.    And apps?  I add NONE.   I keep getting notices from 'Google Play' store,  I don't need any #$&** games or crap to play with.  I just want simple use communications.   So yes, on my terms is how it should be for anyone.

Mar 30 23 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

Apr 02 23 09:39 am Link