Forums > General Industry > Retouchers......

Photographer

Photographer12years

Everett, Washington, US

Twice I have had retouchers take my images after the model had posted them on her social media page, take them and retouch them as they saw fit...... I was LIVID....I'm sure there are plenty who operate professionally and understand copy right (photos are classified as intellectual property) but there are a number who think they can do as they please.

Just as some photographers do not know if their photo has a product in it such as a Coke can or any number of other items it can not be published without consent from Coke. There was a photographer who published some images that had in them the art work of a artist.... That artist sued the photographer..... Copy right violation use to be $10,000 per infraction the last I knew. It's certainly more now.

Copy right Coke or any car among other things and this is PUBLISHED not if it's just portfolio images.

Jan 14 23 08:04 am Link

Filmmaker

Sean Michael Foster

Odenton, Maryland, US

If you think thats bad, one time I posted a photo of myself and someone photoshopped a dick in my mouth!
The internet is such a crazy place right

Jan 15 23 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Photographer12years wrote:
Twice I have had retouchers take my images after the model had posted them on her social media page, take them and retouch them as they saw fit...

That's highly annoying to me as well.

I take extra time and effort to make sure most of my photos are color accurate and clear, and it pisses me off when a model puts the same photo through some crappy phone app and changes it all around.  I'm not so anal as to scold the model when that happens, but if the model credits me for the photo I'll ask that the credit is removed.

Photographer12years wrote:
Just as some photographers do not know if their photo has a product in it such as a Coke can or any number of other items it can not be published without consent from Coke. s.

That's only partly true. 
In this case if the product (Coca Cola) is incidental to a scene no consent is needed.  It would be nearly impossible to publish a photo from a sporting event without seeing a fan or participant holding some sort of brand name beverage during the game.

Often (usually in movies or TV) companies will PAY the production company to have their product seen in the production.
If the product is used for an editorial no consent from the company is needed (ie: an article about sugary foods).

If the image is used in a fake ad or in a way that makes a person think that the company is endorsing a person, product, or service permission from the company would be required.

Productions will usually do something to hide or alter the label such as turning the product around so the label can't be seen or putting tape over the label so there's no permission needed.

Jan 15 23 08:45 pm Link