Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Dark Side of the Moon

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

One of my favorite albums,Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd, turned 50 yesterday.  I attended one of their concerts during their 1994 world tour.  A great experience.  The album has been on Billboards top 200 albums for 972 weeks, the most for any album currently in the list.

Mar 02 23 09:56 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'm still chuckling over the conservatives that claimed that the new Dark Side of the Moon 50th anniversary "prism colors" logo (as in the original album cover) is supposedly an LGBT Pride Colors "Tribute".

Hah!   Conspiracies, conspiracies, everywhere you look...!

Personally, I don't think I'll ever forget the first time I heard that album.  It had quite an impact.

Mar 02 23 10:19 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

An absolute heap of dreck, although Roger Waters subsequently went on to reach his peak of pretension and pomposity with The Wall.

Mar 04 23 03:35 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

JSouthworth wrote:
An absolute heap of dreck, although Roger Waters subsequently went on to reach his peak of pretension and pomposity with The Wall.

We get it, you didn't like the album. That says far more about your ability to objectively review an album than it does about the album.

Here's an incomplete listing of some of the awards and accolades that Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" album has received;

Grammy Award for Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical - 1973
    Platinum Certification in the United States, indicating sales of over one million copies - 1973
    7th best-selling album of all time in the United States - 2021
    2nd best-selling album of all time in the United Kingdom - 2021
    13th Greatest Album of All Time in Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time - 2003
    Inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame - 1999
    Diamond Certification in the United States, indicating sales of over 10 million copies - 1998
    Classic Album Award by Classic Rock Magazine - 2010
    Q Award for Classic Album - 1998
    Ivor Novello Award for Outstanding Contribution to British Music - 2005
    The BRIT Awards Best British Album award - 1974
    Canadian Album of the Year award - 1974
    German Schallplattenpreis award - 1974
    Belgian Golden Reel award - 1974

Just some of the many awards and accolades that "Dark Side of the Moon" has received over the years, highlighting the album's continued popularity and cultural significance.

As an aside we're still waiting for you to request a portfolio critique.

Mar 04 23 05:55 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

JSouthworth wrote:

LOL

There are those that say the album was a tribute to Syd Barrett.  OK, so the album is not a favorite of billions of people.  But I like tens of millions still like it.

Mar 04 23 08:57 am Link

Model

HighMind9

Jacksonville, Florida, US

..soundtrack to my life.

been hearing it my entire life, I heard those damn clocks and chimes in the womb(parents were 'dazed and confused' generation).
Time and Breathe, the transition from Em to A haunts me, never stops playing..

The words to Time...hit harder and harder every year
⌛always running out, in more ways than one

Mar 04 23 09:17 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

rxz wrote:
The album has been on Billboards top 200 albums for 972 weeks, the most for any album currently in the list.

Ironically it it achieved that status even though it had relatively limited airplay due to the fact that most of the songs are much longer than the cookie cutter 2.5 minute love song jingles that radio stations usually play.  Yes, radio stations did play Pink Floyd music, usually cutting off the song shortly after the 2.5 minute mark.  If a station played a full song it was usually "Money", because the single edit version was a second short of 4 minutes (the album version was almost 2.5 minutes longer, and that's without the transition with "Us and Them")

Pink Floyd should always be listened to in it's entirety because the elements of one song either transitions into or is part of a longer and more complex piece.

It's kind of like the difference between reading a page from a book rather than the whole thing.
-----------------------------

The first time I ever heard Pink Floyd I was hooked.  I was barely a teenager when Dark Side of the Moon was released.
I always liked PF because their music is much more involved than the standard rock bands.

Some of my other faves have been (and still are) Emerson Lake and Palmer, Moody Blues with groups like Triumverat, Supertramp, and Yes also on the list but trailing far behind.

It was only recently that I realized that my taste in sounds shares quite a few similarities, and although I've heard the term before it was only a couple of years ago that I learned the definition of "Progressive Rock" which is the category those bands fall into.

This quick article explains what makes music fall into the category:
https://www.masterclass.com/articles/pr … rock-guide

Mar 04 23 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Great record, no two ways about it.

Mar 04 23 10:39 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

rxz wrote:
LOL

There are those that say the album was a tribute to Syd Barrett.  OK, so the album is not a favorite of billions of people.  But I like tens of millions still like it.

If what you're looking for in an album is instant affirmation of your pop humanist, liberal left worldview without too much excitement then Supertramp, Simon and Garfunkel, 10cc and post-1968 Pink Floyd can all deliver.

In their early days, Pink Floyd were an experimental psychedelic rock band, well known for their wild live shows at London's UFO club. It would have been a bit like like the Grateful Dead playing the Filmore or The Pigeon Toed Orange Peel in Coogan's Bluff.

Mar 06 23 02:42 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

JSouthworth wrote:
instant affirmation of your pop humanist, liberal left worldview

JSouthworth's incredible insecurity is showing once again...

It seems that he is unable to comment on ANYTHING without insulting someone, trying to make himself feel superior.

Mar 06 23 09:14 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mar 06 23 09:21 am Link

Photographer

webfilms

San Diego, California, US

Greatest concert I went to was the Wall at the Colosseum in Long Island NY year 1980.  Dark Side of the Moon is also a classic.  I was in High School at the time and loved the anti authority message of The Wall.  It was pretty cool how they built the wall onstage and it came crashing down at the end of the show.  We all screamed tear down the wall. Good times.

Mar 06 23 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

LightDreams wrote:
... trying to make himself feel superior.

BINGO!

Mar 06 23 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

LightDreams wrote:

It seems that he is unable to comment on ANYTHING without insulting someone, trying to make himself feel superior.

Nah. It's reminiscent of a technique used by some individuals to unduly influence (groom) young (typically) impressionable people. Thinly-veiled self-aggrandisement alongside the vigorous deprecation of others, designed to elicit misplaced awe whilst discrediting everyone else so that the opportunity for interference is controlled.

What Southy fails to comprehend is that the technique doesn't work for a larger audience who, collectively, aren't so impressionable. They see through it in an instant and call it out, hence I'd call over-confidence rather than insecurity.

Mar 06 23 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

I remember my brother playing obscured by clouds when he returned from Vietnam so DSOTM was to me a major step up but Wish you where here is my fav. I have  been watching a lot of Genesis videos because they also put on a theatrical show back then. I saw they're Selling England by the pound tour which came out the same year as the floyd and was duly blown away. I thought being scorched on blotter may have been the cause of that but after watching the show on youtube I realized it was just a subtle enhancement. Yes, being a teen in the 70's had its perks.

Mar 06 23 04:35 pm Link

Model

HighMind9

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Acraftman1313 wrote:
I remember my brother playing obscured by clouds when he returned from Vietnam so DSOTM was to me a major step up but Wish you where here is my fav. I have  been watching a lot of Genesis videos because they also put on a theatrical show back then. I saw they're Selling England by the pound tour which came out the same year as the floyd and was duly blown away. I thought being scorched on blotter may have been the cause of that but after watching the show on youtube I realized it was just a subtle enhancement. Yes, being a teen in the 70's had its perks.

interesting.
my personal experience has been Americans mostly sleeping on Peter Gabriel era Genesis..maybe that was just my midwest context...grew up on all the 'prog' rock but somehow Genesis was missed

Found out later magic happened, especially between the Foxtrot and Lamb Lies Down on Broadway time frame.

either way , despite the politics and pretension

Pink Floyd Meddle through Animals era is epic.

Mar 07 23 12:57 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

LightDreams wrote:

I'm just expressing a personal view. You don't like it? Jeez, sorry.

Mar 07 23 02:57 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

JSouthworth wrote:

Sorry, old chap. First, you don't opine, you DECLARE.

"An absolute heap of dreck, although Roger Waters subsequently went on to reach his peak of pretension and pomposity with The Wall."

Then you insult:

"If what you're looking for in an album is instant affirmation of your pop humanist, liberal left worldview without too much excitement "

The road to wellness starts with self-awareness, old son.

Mar 07 23 08:13 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

JSouthworth wrote:

Why is it that everyone that "lives" to attack everyone and everything, or promote hatred against others, always claims that it's either "I'm just expressing an opinion / personal view", or the censoring of promotion of acts of violence is "they're removing our rights to free speech", or "it's WOKE censorship", etc, etc?

JSouthworth, just so YOU understand.  Everyone from Hitler, to Putin, to the White Supremacists, ALL had an "opinion / personal view".   It is NOT, and has never been, a "get out of jail free" card.  WHAT you, and others, actually SAY and DO MATTERS.

There is a REASON that you've managed, over a period of time, to alienate every single person that you've engaged with on this (and other) forums.  That's one hell of a feat.  And there's a reason for it.

You own your words, your actions and the results.  Period.  And everyone knows it.

Mar 07 23 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

HighMind9 wrote:
interesting.
my personal experience has been Americans mostly sleeping on Peter Gabriel era Genesis..maybe that was just my midwest context...grew up on all the 'prog' rock but somehow Genesis was missed

Found out later magic happened, especially between the Foxtrot and Lamb Lies Down on Broadway time frame.

either way , despite the politics and pretension

Pink Floyd Meddle through Animals era is epic.

They were the biz, it was an interesting dynamic they are all great musicians but Gabriel is a showman as well. The classic case of is it the dance or the dancer. This is a vid from that tour strangely he wasn't in as much costume as I recall for this song.
https://youtu.be/DaY4r_9xIOI

Mar 07 23 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Phillip Ritchie

Costa Mesa, California, US

I was 32 in 1974 at the Wembley Arena, to see Pink Floyd for dark side of the Moon,
have been a fan ever since, even today at 80 I still listen to them,

Mar 07 23 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

rxz wrote:

In the film of The Wall, the Barrett character goes crazy, shaves his hair and eyebrows off and then somehow is transformed into a demagogic neo-nazi, I wouldn't say that was a tribute. Maybe Roger Waters was trying to assert the existence of a relationship between political orientation and hair length. In real life Barrett was never involved with any far-right movements as far as I know.

Mar 08 23 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Adventure Photos

Palos Park, Illinois, US

LightDreams wrote:
I'm still chuckling over the conservatives that claimed that the new Dark Side of the Moon 50th anniversary "prism colors" logo (as in the original album cover) is supposedly an LGBT Pride Colors "Tribute".

Hah!   Conspiracies, conspiracies, everywhere you look...!

Personally, I don't think I'll ever forget the first time I heard that album.  It had quite an impact.

Agree that it was amazing and once held the record for most weeks at the top, or in the Billboard top 10, for like 180 months. It was made before the well known LGBT pride colors were established.  I recall someone telling me if you began side one exactly when the MGM Lion roared on the old black and white Wizard of Oz, that the music fit perfectly with every scene through out the whole movie.    Fact or another rumor?   Just know I got so very buzzed to many of those songs back then.   Love the Floyds music.

Mar 26 23 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Dark Side of the Moon is also the title of a book about ritual magic, which does not appear to have any other relation to the Pink Floyd album.

Mar 28 23 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Adventure Photos

Palos Park, Illinois, US

JSouthworth wrote:
Dark Side of the Moon is also the title of a book about ritual magic, which does not appear to have any other relation to the Pink Floyd album.

Which came out first? The book or the album?   The first satellites in space that took photos of the 'dark side of the moon'., as it  also applies to NASA , and to astronomy too.   
I once heard a reggae version of Dark Side of the Moon, and it was pretty cool .

Mar 29 23 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Adventure Photos wrote:
Which came out first? The book or the album?   The first satellites in space that took photos of the 'dark side of the moon'., as it  also applies to NASA , and to astronomy too.   
I once heard a reggae version of Dark Side of the Moon, and it was pretty cool .

The album was released before the book was published.

Mar 29 23 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Skylark Photo

Austin, Texas, US

Adventure Photos wrote:
Agree that it was amazing and once held the record for most weeks at the top, or in the Billboard top 10, for like 180 months. It was made before the well known LGBT pride colors were established.  I recall someone telling me if you began side one exactly when the MGM Lion roared on the old black and white Wizard of Oz, that the music fit perfectly with every scene through out the whole movie.    Fact or another rumor?   Just know I got so very buzzed to many of those songs back then.   Love the Floyds music.

I've heard this, too. There's a scene where the line "And who knows which is which and who is who?" from Us and Them is playing when the Wicked Witch appears in the Munchkin City in front of Dorothy and Glinda.

Check it out and see for yourself: https://youtu.be/c8xAifDsud0?t=179

Apr 26 23 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

G Wilson

Dallas, Texas, US

LightDreams wrote:

Ya gotta have something you're at least kind of good at... that's his ability

Apr 27 23 06:56 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

G Wilson wrote:

Ya gotta have something you're at least kind of good at... that's his ability

So maybe I just haven't gotten around to you yet. It could be..

May 11 23 03:45 am Link