Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > It's Time To Make Gun Manufacturers Uncomfortable!

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

JSouthworth wrote:
You probably don't know about this, but before WW2 there was a small but visible minority of Americans who openly supported the Nazis. This was also the case in many European countries. Useful documentary video here;

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/r … ;FORM=VIRE

By D-Day (the 6th of June 1944) the mass killings of Jews had peaked and the Nazis had in fact demolished some of the extermination camps;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treblinka … ation_camp

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.aau7292

Undoubtedly, the liberation of concentration camps like Mauthausen in Austria by the US Army did save the lives of a large number of people including many Jews. That doesn't prevent right wing Jewish historians from accusing the Allies of complicity in the Holocaust on the grounds that they didn't bomb Auschwitz in an attempt to liberate the inmates.

Did you have a point here, or is this just a random data leak from your mental hard drive?

From 1776 to Gaza to Vietnam.

Is relevance - to - topic totally lost on you? Just asking.

Apr 12 24 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st19994374

Please ignore JS!  His comments have nothing to do with the subject of the thread.  Or, start posting in his threads and distract him.

OK, let's try it.

Apr 12 24 10:51 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

Focuspuller wrote:
"within Israel's borders"...." territories which the Israeli government claims to control."

Changing goalposts again?

I think you'll find that in most cases, the territories over which the government of a country claims control are the territories within it's borders.

Apr 13 24 03:28 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JSouthworth wrote:

I think you'll find that in most cases, the territories over which the government of a country claims control are the territories within it's borders.

Reserving the right of response to a personal  reference:

"I think you'll find that in most cases...."

Bullshit. Changing to the "most cases" equivocation at this point constitutes "changing the goalposts."

" ...the territories over which the government of a country claims control are the territories within it's borders..."

Bullshit. You may have heard of India, a colony "controlled" by England.and NEVER considered within England's borders.

Apr 13 24 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

JSouthworth wrote:
Re: Modelphilia "And, no, my having owned a gun would not have done one damn thing to change anything about that entire event"

. . .  Unless of course you'd pulled it out and shot the creep, thereby potentially saving the taxpayer a few dollars...did you have any idea in advance that he was going to attack you?

No idea whatsoever!
Had I possessed a gun, been wearing it, and then tried to reach for it, my head would no longer be attached to my neck.

Apr 13 24 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Focuspuller wrote:
Reserving the right of response to a personal  reference:

"I think you'll find that in most cases...."

Bullshit. Changing to the "most cases" equivocation at this point constitutes "changing the goalposts."

" ...the territories over which the government of a country claims control are the territories within it's borders..."

Bullshit. You may have heard of India, a colony "controlled" by England.and NEVER considered within England's borders.

What are you rambling about? This thread is about gun ownership and related laws. Stop trying to divert it into tedious arguments over definitions and points of logic.

Apr 14 24 04:46 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

JSouthworth wrote:
What are you rambling about? This thread is about gun ownership and related laws. Stop trying to divert it into tedious arguments over definitions and points of logic.

Yes Focuspuller, JSOUTHWORTH is criticizing you for diverting threads!  You know, your response to his posts hijacking the thread over to Israel / Gaza.  HAH!

And DON'T YOU DARE bring up (what he calls) "points of logic".  Southy HATES those...

Seriously, you just can't make this sh*t up.  Sadly.

Apr 14 24 09:48 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

JSouthworth wrote:
Undoubtedly, the liberation of concentration camps like Mauthausen in Austria by the US Army did save the lives of a large number of people including many Jews. That doesn't prevent right wing Jewish historians from accusing the Allies of complicity in the Holocaust on the grounds that they didn't bomb Auschwitz in an attempt to liberate the inmates.

On the 18th of February 1944 the RAF bombed Amiens prison to liberate some of the inmates but this was a conventional prison rather than a camp surrounded by electric fencing;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Jericho

The main Auschwitz-Birkenau camp also had fences dividing it into sections internally, so it would have been difficult or impossible to bomb it in a way which would have allowed most of the inmates an opportunity to escape;

https://ihr.org/wp-content/uploads/imag … togno3.jpg

Apr 15 24 04:19 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

LightDreams wrote:

And DON'T YOU DARE bring up (what he calls) "points of logic".

I think the test you have to apply is whether what you're writing would be of any interest to someone who wasn't involved in the discussion.

Apr 15 24 04:46 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

JSouthworth wrote:
I think the test you have to apply is whether what you're writing would be of any interest to someone who wasn't involved in the discussion.

Says the man who posted that RIGHT AFTER posting this gem...

JSouthworth wrote:
On the 18th of February 1944 the RAF bombed Amiens prison to liberate some of the inmates but this was a conventional prison rather than a camp surrounded by electric fencing;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Jericho

The main Auschwitz-Birkenau camp also had fences dividing it into sections internally, so it would have been difficult or impossible to bomb it in a way which would have allowed most of the inmates an opportunity to escape;

Which, of course, was ALSO right after he attacked Focuspuller for, what he called, diverting this ("It's Time To Make Gun Manufacturers Uncomfortable!") thread.

No one could ever accuse JSouthworth of being self-aware...

The others are right.  Nothing will be enforced, so It's time to just let JSouthworth ramble on, all by himself (with his audience of one). Sadly, for what used to be the MM forums.

Apr 15 24 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Sad. With the inexplicable capitulation and acquiescence of the moderators, between vanity threads and the hijacking of others, the forums are becoming one member's Personal Blog.

Apr 15 24 10:58 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

Focuspuller wrote:
Sad. With the inexplicable capitulation and acquiescence of the moderators, between vanity threads and the hijacking of others, the forums are becoming one member's Personal Blog.

My guess is that all the mods now have microscopes and all are on the contest sites scanning each submission pixel by pixel.

Apr 15 24 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

rxz wrote:

My guess is that all the mods now have microscopes and all are on the contest sites scanning each submission pixel by pixel.

😂

Apr 15 24 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Modelphilia wrote:
No idea whatsoever!
Had I possessed a gun, been wearing it, and then tried to reach for it, my head would no longer be attached to my neck.

You haven't given us much detail about the specifics of the incident, but in principle it would be possible to block or deflect a blow with one arm while reaching for a gun with the other. Ideally you would have shot him before he got close enough to swing at you. A lot has been written about the relative merits of different types of guns/calibers/holsters for concealed carry.

Blocking a baseball bat with your arm will result in a broken arm as can blocking a kick with your arm. You say this guy is a drunk, in that case it's perhaps a little surprising that he was able to surprise you.

Apr 16 24 03:26 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Modelphilia wrote:
No idea whatsoever!

Obviously YOUR fault for not being expert in the Southworth Martial Arts:

"...in principle it would be possible to block or deflect a blow with one arm while reaching for a gun with the other. Ideally you would have shot him before he got close enough to swing at you. A lot has been written about the relative merits of different types of guns/calibers/holsters for concealed carry."

See? You must be armed and in a defensive posture at all times and adept at using a firearm while being physically assaulted.

Apr 16 24 11:52 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Apr 16 24 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
https://www.kennedykrieger.org/stories/ … nal_issues

And your point in citing this article on Asperger's Syndrome was what?

Apr 16 24 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

JSouthworth wrote:
You say this guy is a drunk, in that case it's perhaps a little surprising that he was able to surprise you.

He had pre-planned his attack, while the aluminum bat was hidden from my view at the spot he had called me over to, and we were in the middle of a discussion. The entire attack took less than 3-seconds to execute, and was no doubt intended to kill me. I was very lucky to escape the intended result at all!

No matter where a theoretical gun would have been holstered, there would have never been enough time to observe the bat coming at my head, grab the firearm –while still dodging the bat(!)– and then aim and fire it in time to stop the blow from landing.  Unsurprisingly, my reality and your idealist mental gymnastics are quite different from one another.

Apr 16 24 02:03 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Modelphilia wrote:
And your point in citing this article on Asperger's Syndrome was what?

-
Nuts.  I had several tabs open.  Copied and pasted the wrong one.

Though it is something that is suitable to be reminded of from time to time when dealing with the behavior of some people.  There are root causes.

The post was intended to be relative to the calls from Tom Cotton to take matters in our own hands when we are inconvenced- or threatened with criminal circumstances.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol … 342700007/

And another tragic result when people do that.

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/video-sho … aboolafeed

Relative to the discussion because this is how some mass shootings start and how many more will start because of the continuing calls for political violence from the right.

Sometimes it is inconvenient to live in a free country where citizens have a right to protest.  Other citizens exercising their rights doesn't give people the right to pull the skin off of people or throw them over the side of bridges or to engage in questioning someone about certain events based on the hypotheticals in their mind- thus determining the correct cause of action- what would be ideal when those results would be horrendous and could result in criminal prosecution for murder rather than an action of self defense.  Having a gun at hand and a constant mind set of using it is more likely to result in tragedy.  Something some people without empathy do not get.

Let's remember the violence in the past when police and vigilantes met with protestors when we consider new laws that allow people to hit protestors with their cars.  Or what it meant for little girls in a church when adults set out to teach people lessons about remaining in their place.

Apr 16 24 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Modelphilia wrote:

He had pre-planned his attack, while the aluminum bat was hidden from my view at the spot he had called me over to, and we were in the middle of a discussion. The entire attack took less than 3-seconds to execute, and was no doubt intended to kill me. I was very lucky to escape the intended result at all!

No matter where a theoretical gun would have been holstered, there would have never been enough time to observe the bat coming at my head, grab the firearm –while still dodging the bat(!)– and then aim and fire it in time to stop the blow from landing.  Unsurprisingly, my reality and your idealist mental gymnastics are quite different from one another.

You could have defeated his plan by simply refusing when he called you over. But it does look like attempted murder, I agree with you on that point.

Apr 16 24 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

JSouthworth wrote:
You could have defeated his plan by simply refusing when he called you over.

Sure, had I known he was planning to kill me! But, strangely enough, he never told me anything about it! What a dumb-ass response!

As it was, I was already planning to speak with him a few minutes later anyway, so my meeting with him a few minutes before I'd intended to was close to what I had already planned to do anyway. You, with your special sensory powers, would of course have known of his plan all along. Would that I had such amazing skills too.

Apr 16 24 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Modelphilia wrote:

Sure, had I known he was planning to kill me! But, strangely enough, he never told me anything about it! What a dumb-ass response!

As it was, I was already planning to speak with him a few minutes later anyway, so my meeting with him a few minutes before I'd intended to was close to what I had already planned to do anyway. You, with your special sensory powers, would of course have known of his plan all along. Would that I had such amazing skills too.

You say that this guy is a drunk and a loon, you could have been a bit more suspicious. Does he have a history of this type of behaviour?

Apr 17 24 03:51 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

JSouthworth wrote:
You haven't given us much detail about the specifics of the incident, but in principle it would be possible to block or deflect a blow with one arm while reaching for a gun with the other. Ideally you would have shot him before he got close enough to swing at you.

You say this guy is a drunk, in that case it's perhaps a little surprising that he was able to surprise you.

You could have defeated his plan by simply refusing when he called you over.

You say that this guy is a drunk and a loon, you could have been a bit more suspicious. Does he have a history of this type of behaviour?

JSouthworth presenting a master class on victim blaming rather than holding the transgressor responsible. Is there an actual reason why you continue to attack this forum members actions?

Apr 17 24 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

JSouthworth wrote:

GFY

Apr 17 24 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Modelphilia wrote:

GFY

Would that be a yes or a no?

Apr 18 24 03:30 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

https://apnews.com/article/college-stud … 82e43226e3

excerpts:
"Waylon Kurts, of Montpelier, Vermont, who was then a student at St. Olaf College in Northfield, was charged last April with conspiracy to commit second-degree assault, conspiracy to commit threats of violence, making terroristic threats, and a less serious count of conspiracy to commit theft. Prosecutors alleged he was “planning a mass casualty event.”

But Rice County Judge Christine Long this week dismissed two of the felony counts against Kurts, citing a lack of evidence that he was conspiring with anyone to commit assault or threats of violence, KARE-TV reported.

Kurts, who has pleaded not guilty and is free on bail, has maintained that he is a recreational firearms enthusiast and was just exchanging text messages on that topic with a like-minded friend.

The basis for the surviving terroristic threats charge is the prosecution argument that by leaving the two empty high-capacity magazine boxes in the trash where they could be seen by college staff and students, and that by stockpiling tactical gear and firearm parts at the school, Kurts made an indirect threat in reckless disregard of causing terror."

The judge upheld an interesting interpretation of what constitutes the making of a terroristic threat.  I wonder how law enforcement would see a post where someone displayed a photo of multiple semi-automatic (and possibly automatic) weapons with the stated purpose of making people uncomfortable.  Would making terroristic threats then extend to simply carrying unconcealed weapons, albeit legally, along with wearing tactical gear in public.

Apr 20 24 05:39 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
https://apnews.com/article/college-stud … 82e43226e3

excerpts:
[i]"Waylon Kurts, of Montpelier, Vermont, who was then a student at St. Olaf College in Northfield, was charged last April with conspiracy to commit second-degree assault, conspiracy to commit threats of violence, making terroristic threats, and a less serious count of conspiracy to commit theft. Prosecutors alleged he was “planning a mass casualty event.”

The judge upheld an interesting interpretation of what constitutes the making of a terroristic threat.  I wonder how law enforcement would see a post where someone displayed a photo of multiple semi-automatic (and possibly automatic) weapons with the stated purpose of making people uncomfortable.  Would making terroristic threats then extend to simply carrying unconcealed weapons, albeit legally, along with wearing tactical gear in public.

Sometimes people write things on this site that could be interpreted as terroristic or even genocidal threats. For example;

"And if the Palestinians want to rape and murder hundreds of kids peacefully attending a music festival then the Palestinians are entitled to obliteration and death". (Gold Rush Studio).

Normally it would take more than verbal or written statements to convict a person on terrorist charges, there would have to be evidence of preparation to carry out a terror attack. Wearing camouflage pattern or paramilitary style clothing or personal equipment in public would not in itself imply terrorist intent, but in some places it can get you into trouble.

Apr 26 24 06:57 am Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

In case anyone is still interested in pursuing the point of the original discussion topic for this thread, this article in today's Washington Post concerning the police gun-fatalities in Charlotte, and especially the discussion among the readers making comments are worth a read:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2024/04/29/charlotte-shooting-police-officers-nc/

If you aren't a subscriber, you may still be able to get "one free online article" per day and read it that way. There's some thoughtful discussion of approaches and social/legal facts in between the chaff-comments.

Apr 29 24 09:16 pm Link