Forums > General Industry > scam alert

Photographer

NormL

San Rafael, California, US

I received a come-on email offering $2,500 for a three hour shoot with "nudes and half-nudes". The sender said he was impressed with my work on MM. (I'm already suspicious.) "Write back for more details."

So I pretended to take the bait. Here's his reply in total:

Hello Norm,

How are you doing today? It sounds good to read from you regarding your interest in this photo shoot. Details of this shoot are below.

The upcoming shoot is for the 2023 Magazine of THE GEORGETOWN APARTMENT GROUP. This magazine serves as an advert for their procurement services against the quarter of the year for 2023. There's a structural business that includes other investors and they're being led by the magazine of the year. You will be participating in the photo shoot in designing these magazines. This Magazine entails different kinds of designs in which different positions will be used in different locations within your city. Be assured that we have professionals available for this project, including makeup artists, models, stylists, wardrobes, and others. All the crew have been notified and they are waiting for further procedures. I would like to know your availability between the 3rd of July. 2023 to 14th of July. 2023.

Costumes will be handled by the crew prior to this date. for this reason, we would like to have the below details about you:

Experience:?
Shoot Half Nudes:?
Do you have your own studio:?
Would you be willing to try a different studio:?

Be aware that the funds to cover this project will fully be funded by us and as you have been informed, you would be making up to $2500 from this shoot. Total funds to cover this project will be sent to you via FedEx/USPS. you are to reply back with the details to receive payment for this purpose. Below is the information requested from you.

Name:
Address:
City:
Zip:
Phone:

Lastly, be informed that the date of this shoot will be given to you once we confirm your available date. Also, this will not take more than 3 hours of your time on the said date, and be aware that we have up to 3 models in this magazine and everyone is fully aware. Once all come to an agreement and every arrangement has been set up, a group chart will be established between all crew for easy communication. I await your swift response for further processing.

Sincerely,
James
Shoot Director/Event planner/Management
For Inquiry
[email protected]

Me again - I'll be brief. A photoshoot with "nudes and half-nudes" for an apartment rental magazine (that doesn't exist), should immediately raise everyone's red-flags. If not deliver a belly-laugh. The catch is that the scammer asks the photographer to pay the models, stylist etc. etc. upfront, which is really the scammer's account. The "reimbursement check" will, of course bounce.  You've possibly seen this scheme before, often for a social event, wedding, or family reunion...

But since this one is targeted to MM photographers, I'm sharing it here.

I'm still on the lookout for that ellusive $2,500 three-hour shoot. With nudes and half-nudes!

Norm Levin

Jun 20 23 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

NormL wrote:
everyone is fully aware???
"reimbursement check" will, of course bounce.

Yes, there are plenty of scams targeted to photographers, often for a family reunion or a wedding.

Did this scam come from an MM account? Did you report it to the Mods?

Jun 20 23 01:52 pm Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

Please flag the message to report the scammer account.

Jun 20 23 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

There is a Georgetown Apartments project in Kansas City;

https://www.kcgeorgetownapartments.com/

I can't imagine why they would need nude photography to advertise their properties.

Georgetown is also the capital of Guyana. Could be a trip abroad- or maybe not.

Jun 22 23 07:52 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JSouthworth wrote:
There is a Georgetown Apartments project in Kansas City;

https://www.kcgeorgetownapartments.com/

I can't imagine why they would need nude photography to advertise their properties.

Why would you even THINK to investigate the name of some business that an OBVIOUS SCAMMER is using in a WELL KNOWN internet scam??? 

JSouthworth wrote:
Georgetown is also the capital of Guyana. Could be a trip abroad- or maybe not.

The scammers use random business names all the time. Are you trying to justify that there's a one-in-a-billion chance that this OBVIOUS SCAM really isn't???  Your comments about scams are usually more hurtful than helpful, and definitely not needed.

Jun 22 23 08:52 am Link

Photographer

NormL

San Rafael, California, US

If you really read my post, you'd know that I was aware it was a scam from the get-go, having previously experienced the language and nature of the come-on.  Not everyone has our level of sophistication, so I wanted to warn others here about it, believing that they're targeting MM photographers.

Your comment isn't helpful. It should be deleted.

Jun 22 23 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

You make it very simple for scammers worldwide to come at you. On your MM page you have a direct link to a website where, under the "Contact" section you openly display your email for anyone to use without any vetting. Direct email-only contacts should never be trusted. They can claim to be anyone, with no way to confirm

Jun 22 23 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

NormL wrote:
If you really read my post, you'd know that I was aware it was a scam from the get-go, having previously experienced the language and nature of the come-on.  Not everyone has our level of sophistication, so I wanted to warn others here about it, believing that they're targeting MM photographers.

Your comment isn't helpful. It should be deleted.

I'm not sure who you are directing this to since you did not quote them.  I understand you are trying to be helpful, but posts warning of scams have become so common on the forums that there is one at the top of the Model Colloquy section right now that has been revived.

Reporting such messages to Moderators on here if it's from Modelmayhem members is best.  Click the blur colored letters that say "help"  on the very top right next to "my stuff" .. it opens another page.  Then click on "Contact A Moderator" just 9 down for "Top Links"  which opens up another page to report your issue.

Jun 22 23 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Any time you reply to a scam email you confirm to them that there is a real person reading the emails - you are going to get more scam emails from them and their friends.

The smart response is to mark the email as junk / spam / scam and never see emails from that source again.

Jun 23 23 12:00 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

Why would you even THINK to investigate the name of some business that an OBVIOUS SCAMMER is using in a WELL KNOWN internet scam??? 

The scammers use random business names all the time. Are you trying to justify that there's a one-in-a-billion chance that this OBVIOUS SCAM really isn't???  Your comments about scams are usually more hurtful than helpful, and definitely not needed.

No, you're missing the point. Every scam begins with an idea; so where did the idea of using the Georgetown Apartments name come from? Is it possible that the scam artist is resident in Kansas City? Could it be someone with a connection to the project, like a disgruntled former employee?

Jun 24 23 06:35 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

JSouthworth wrote:
No, you're missing the point. Every scam begins with an idea; so where did the idea of using the Georgetown Apartments name come from? Is it possible that the scam artist is resident in Kansas City? Could it be someone with a connection to the project, like a disgruntled former employee?

*It's an OBVIOUS scam.
*For DECADES identical scams have been going on.
*The scam USUALLY uses the names of REAL BUSINESSES that are OBVIOUSLY used without knowledge or permission.
*The scams are known as NIGERIAN 419 scams, because no matter where the 'business' is supposed to be located in the world, the original scammers were in NIGERIA.  (In these days they can be anywhere).

It's EXTREMELY UNLIKELY that the scammers have anything to do with the actual company, but you implied that the victim should give it a shot because they might get a free trip out of it.  That's TERRIBLE, IDIOTIC advice!

By the way, there's many more towns, places, schools, and companies that use the name Georgetown, so if you're so smart why don't YOU waste your time and track down which Georgetown the company is and wire them the money that they're requesting so that you can possibly get a 'free trip'.

I'm sorry, IDIOTIC is too polite of a word for your advice!

Jun 24 23 07:17 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

The scammers use random business names all the time.

Of course it's a scam, that would be obvious to anyone who wasn't a complete idiot. Can you imagine a property developer using nude photography in their advertising?

You would think that the scammer would choose as a front, something they had no personal connection to, that would be logical. But then who risks prison for half a chance of a few hundred dollars? This is not the behavior of a very rational person. The money is probably not the real motive here. It might be, in the case of a professional criminal who has been doing this kind of thing habitually for years, but this particular scam is clearly the work of an amateur as will be the case 98% of the time.

Jun 27 23 03:21 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

JSouthworth wrote:
Of course it's a scam, that would be obvious to anyone who wasn't a complete idiot.

Says the guy who had his post hidden in another Scam Thread for doling out misinformation and not understanding how the scam even works.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st19979912

Jun 27 23 07:33 am Link