Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > electricity from thin air! really!

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Some of the most exciting "green" research I've heard of in decades has just come to the fore. A group of scientists in Britain have accidentally discovered a way to generate electricity from the humidity contained in AIR, and it doesn't require much humidity in order to work! It is the realization of a theoretical concept of Nicholas Tesla's over one hundred years ago.

This is a very good article on it from The Guardian.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 … able-power

Another article I saw a few weeks ago stated that the process could be done using virtually any kind of material capable of being ground into fine powder, formed into very thin wafers, and then used as a molecular filter that results in a negative charge on one side, with a positive charge on the other. So far it is only in the micro-watts stage, but after now-ongoing development, it may eventually even be possible to incorporate the process into our building materials. A washing-machine-sized device (prototype expected by 2024), could produce 10 kilowatt-hours per day. Plus, it will operate 24/7, without any reliance on sunlight, wind, water, etc.

Put all that up against the extreme and known dangers of burning natural-gas, coal, oil, or relying on nuclear power-plants, and the even more dangerous possibility of fusion-power, and we can all suddenly begin to dream and anticipate a coming day of limitless electricity that, at last, won't threaten us with self-annihilation. CELEBRATE THAT!

Jul 03 23 11:51 pm Link

Model

Simon Rob

Durham, England, United Kingdom

Something on a smaller scale you can charge a battery with a tube, copper wire, electrical wire and a battery. You put the copper wire into a spring and place this into the tube. Place the magnet into the middle of the tube and copper spring. Attach the end of the copper sire to electrical wires and to the battery and shake the tube back and forth lengthwise and the magnet will move up and down the tube and so produce an electrical current large enough to charge a battery.

You can also make a vacuum flask by placing a bucket into another larger bucket with soils in between the walls ##of the two buckets.

Jul 04 23 06:14 am Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

That's a lot different. While the charge operates through the air in that case, the power isn't produced from the air. Big difference!

Jul 04 23 09:48 am Link

Model

Simon Rob

Just thought it would interest people something they may want to try. You can make the charger from a smarties tube and some other stuff and the other one is even easier. I was thinking of giving people stuff to try at home. Of course through the charger you also are learning how an engine works.

Jul 04 23 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

Simon Rob wrote:
Just thought it would interest people something they may want to try. You can make the charger from a smarties tube and some other stuff and the other one is even easier. I was thinking of giving people stuff to try at home. Of course through the charger you also are learning how an engine works.

You neglect to mention that trying to recharge a NON-rechargeable battery could result in an explosion.

Also, any idea how much shaking to recharge a 3 volt battery? Minutes? Hours? Days?

Jul 04 23 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Simon Rob wrote:
Just thought it would interest people something they may want to try..

Which is another way to say that your comment was off-topic, and therefore out of place here.

Jul 04 23 11:25 am Link

Model

Simon Rob

The third rule of thermodynamics states that energy is neither created nor destroyed so it is not created out of thin air: is that on topic enough for you.

Jul 04 23 11:30 am Link

Model

Simon Rob

Focuspuller wrote:

You neglect to mention that trying to recharge a NON-rechargeable battery could result in an explosion.

Also, any idea how much shaking to recharge a 3 volt battery? Minutes? Hours? Days?

I was working on the principle that the readers of mm are not thick enough to use a non rechargable battery. Oh its not a good recharger: it takes hours: just something fun to do. That is why people buy batteries and use sockets.

Jul 04 23 11:32 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Just to try and keep this particular (energy from air) development in perspective.   Although any new possibility is always welcome!

Many of us have been getting relatively clean and so-called "free" energy from our surrounding environment for a very long time.   Whether it's from the "air" around us (wind turbines), the rivers flowing near us (hydroelectric dams), the ocean tides (wave generators), or just the sunshine (solar generators), etc, etc.   And, as always, some methods are far more efficient than others.

In this particular case, it's relying on a certain amount of an electric charge in the air.  If there's enough of it and the weather / location cooperates, you'll see enough electricity build up in the air in that area to create a thunder and lightning storm.

Nature provides us with all sorts of relatively clean POSSIBILITIES for generating electric power.   BUT...

The million-dollar question in each particular case, is how much does it cost (both financially, environmentally, and in terms of required resources) to build a means of harnessing it, AND how much does it cost (again, both financially, environmentally and required resources) to keep it running, compared to the amount of electricity it generates?

I.E.  Are Wind Turbines more efficient?  Or are Hydroelectric Dams? Or Wave Generators?  Or Solar Energy?  Or capturing the small levels of electricity in the air?  Or...?

It's yet another (hopefully) relatively clean way of extracting power from our environment to add to the list.   How useful it becomes, or not, in terms of efficiency (in terms of the build, ongoing maintenance, resources required, and the power generated), only time will tell.

Also keep in mind that different solutions work better in different areas (wind turbines, hydroelectric dams, solar panels, and ocean wave generators, etc).   And that's no different in this case.  Some geographic areas see far more electric (i.e. lightning) activity in the air, than others.

But it's always good to have another possibility to add to the list, as you never know when one will turn out to be much more efficient, and clean, than the others!

Jul 04 23 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Simon Rob wrote:
Something on a smaller scale you can charge a battery with a tube, copper wire, electrical wire and a battery. You put the copper wire into a spring and place this into the tube. Place the magnet into the middle of the tube and copper spring. Attach the end of the copper sire to electrical wires and to the battery and shake the tube back and forth lengthwise and the magnet will move up and down the tube and so produce an electrical current large enough to charge a battery.

I think that people understand why that works (to a VERY limited degree), but just in case...

Magnetism can be a useful method of CONVERTING the energy (from shaking the tube back and forth), but not for creating it on its own (at least in an ongoing manner).  As has been alluded to.

So, like my 9 year-old self discovered (with my childlike dreams of creating "free limitless power" using the "power" of magnetism, if only I came up with just the "right" design...) as soon as you stop putting some kind of energy INTO the unit (in this case, just stop shaking the tube), the energy generated completely stops.    As, apparently, countless others before me also discovered.  Hah!

Jul 04 23 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

LightDreams wrote:
Are Wind Turbines more efficient?  Or are Hydroelectric Dams? Or Wave Generators?  Or Solar Energy?  Or capturing the small levels of electricity in the air?  Or...?
. . .
Also keep in mind that different solutions work better in different areas (wind turbines, hydroelectric dams, solar panels, and ocean wave generators, etc).   And that's no different in this case.  Some geographic areas see far more electric (i.e. lightning) activity in the air, than others.

To be sure, there are some big hurdles to be surmounted in order to bring this process into widespread availability and use.  However, aridity is not a significant problem for it in most areas, i.e., it will work in what are considered relatively dry areas, and the process is not generally weather dependent. I'd encourage you to read up on the discovery and see what is believed to be possible in that arena. I'd be curious to know what you think after you do that.

Also, the people and organizations involved in its R&D do already have significant funding for its development process, and they are working towards having a 10 megawatt device  to show by sometime in 2024.

I think it's pretty exciting stuff, and there seems to be no reason it can't eventually be successfully introduced, although it will take a significant amount of time and investment to become a major energy source.

Jul 04 23 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Simon Rob wrote:
The third rule of thermodynamics states that energy is neither created nor destroyed so it is not created out of thin air: is that on topic enough for you.

For you and other interested parties, I've found some of the research behind the announcement of the air-to-electricity experiment and the processes involved. I haven't read beyond the Abstract yet, and am way too exhausted to do so tonight, but to anyone interested in further discussion of the process and possibilities, this is what's been done and announced so far:

For the abstract see
"Generic Air-Gen Effect in Nanoporous Materials for Sustainable Energy Harvesting from Air Humidity"
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/ful … .202300748

For the research itself, see the "Supporting Information" section of the related  research paper: here:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/ful … .202300748

Any informed critiques or expressions of wonderment are welcome.

Jul 04 23 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Modelphilia wrote:
However, aridity is not a significant problem for it in most areas, i.e., it will work in what are considered relatively dry areas, and the process is not generally weather dependent. I'd encourage you to read up on the discovery and see what is believed to be possible in that arena. I'd be curious to know what you think after you do that.

Of course I did, BEFORE I pointed that out.

To be clear, there's a major difference between what is POSSIBLE and what is EFFICIENT.

Humidity varies dramatically in different regions.  Yes you could still get electricity in drier areas, but you can generate far MORE electricity in certain climates.  I.E.  It is far more energy efficient in certain regions that have more suitable conditions.  Just like wind turbines, solar panels and hydroelectric dams, etc.

In this particular case, as I previously stated, those just happen to be regions that ALSO have far more lightning storms, etc.  As that is a SYMPTOM of an area where you get a much greater energy "return on investment" for this particular type of technology.

But thank you very much for "suggesting" that I "read up" on the discovery first.

And I'm sorry that you didn't understand the relationship between humidity and the effectiveness of this particular technology.

---

[EDIT] Hell.  Once again, I should know better than to ever respond to your "speak first, before checking your facts" and/or constant "trying to start an argument" tactics.  My bad...

Jul 05 23 04:47 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

Simon Rob wrote:

You can also make a vacuum flask by placing a bucket into another larger bucket with soils in between the walls ##of the two buckets.

You've described the building and operation of a generator. Something that is done at full scale in every country every day only instead of shaking they use a rotating element. Good job missing the entire point of the OP.

Jul 05 23 06:21 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Simon Rob wrote:

The second rule of Model Mayhem states “Do not feed the energy creature”

Jul 05 23 10:03 am Link

Model

Simon Rob

JQuest wrote:

You've described the building and operation of a generator. Something that is done at full scale in every country every day only instead of shaking they use a rotating element. Good job missing the entire point of the OP.

I was showing the principle the applications of course are endless or why would In bother to illustrate the principle.

Jul 05 23 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

LightDreams wrote:
Once again, I should know better than to ever respond to your "speak first, before checking your facts" and/or constant "trying to start an argument" tactics.  My bad...

No, that's not "your bad". Your bad is in having such a prickly personality. There was certainly no insult intended or contained in anything I've said here, nor were there any nefarious "tactics" involved. Your previous statement didn't reference any of the research done in this case, and so I didn't assume anything –one way or the other– about your familiarity with the research itself.

My actual intent was to attempt to engage both you and any other interested parties to read the research report itself and then we could all discuss that. I was actually looking forward to hearing from you on all of that since you seem to devote a lot of attention to original sources, and apparently have some background that might at least lead to some interesting speculative or fact-based assessments.

None of this deals with life-and-death issues, at least for the present, and so it might help things to be less unpleasant for you –and the rest of us here– if you try to "lighten-up a bit" and just enjoy all of this as a potentially pleasant exchange of ideas and knowledge.

Jul 05 23 10:26 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

Simon Rob wrote:
I was showing the principle the applications of course are endless or why would In bother to illustrate the principle.

Yes, and as it was pointed out the principle is well known and not germane to the OP. The applications are also well known as was also pointed out and have nothing to do with the OP. If you want to discuss third grade physics projects you might start by initiating your own topic instead of continuously polluting the ones people actually want to have discussions in.

Jul 05 23 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Would its be possible to end the bickering and personal jabs and either talk about the issue our friend from sunny Hawaii raised or shut up?  Must every topic become a competition? This is like a bunch of 6th graders.

Go take some pictures, a better use of your energy.

Jul 05 23 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Weldphoto wrote:
Would its be possible to end the bickering and personal jabs and either talk about the issue our friend from sunny Hawaii raised or shut up?  Must every topic become a competition? This is like a bunch of 6th graders.

Go take some pictures, a better use of your energy.

Hear! Hear!

Jul 05 23 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Where? Where?

Jul 06 23 08:28 am Link

Photographer

NakeyPiX

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jul 09 23 07:24 am Link