Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Threads - Are you in or out?

Photographer

Omaroo

Madison, Wisconsin, US

I'll admit, I can't stand Elon Musk's arrogance. I think his "protecting free speech" mantra is nothing more than a lot of chest puffing and giving him an expensive place to pontificate his prejudiced beliefs. Speech is never totally "free" as it is always susceptible to repercussions. (And if we are talking about the 1st Amendment of America's Constitution, we are obviously only speaking about free from persecution by the government. But I digress.)

So, have you set up a Threads account? Will you ditch Twitter? The 70 million accounts in the first 48 hours are impressive, and obviously a threat to Elon as he has threatened to sue.

Additionally, I always cringe at the habit of Americans on MM acting as though many topics can only be seen from an American perspective. For those of you in other countries, are there laws in place that limit your usage of these platforms/apps?

Jul 07 23 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Omaroo

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Obviously, Meta has a huge boost in the Instagram link.

Instagram = 2 billion users (give or take)

Twitter = 250 to 450 million users (depends on the source)

My post is not an endorsement of Zuckerberg. Like most things in life, monopolization of anything never works out for us, the minions.

Jul 07 23 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

I deleted twitter when Musk took it over, TBH I didn't use it that much anyway and Musk's embracing of disinformation and and toxicity over civility made it an easy call. I haven't missed it. As for Meta, I'm still in the wait and see group.

Jul 08 23 05:45 am Link

Photographer

Aisbarika

Washington, District of Columbia, US

This is what Free Speech is. And we see now, that some people should not have freely moving mouths.

Jul 11 23 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Omaroo

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Aisbarika wrote:
This is what Free Speech is. And we see now, that some people should not have freely moving mouths.

Actually, if you are referring to "free speech" in terms of the U.S. Constitution, this has nothing to do with that. Outside the Constitution, speech is not free of consequence and it certainly can be shut down.

Aug 11 23 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Aisbarika wrote:

Omaroo wrote:
Actually, if you are referring to "free speech" in terms of the U.S. Constitution, this has nothing to do with that. Outside the Constitution, speech is not free of consequence and it certainly can be shut down.

Sadly, falsely claiming "free speech" has become the "go to" move trying to justify all sorts of bad behavior.  We've seen it here, trying to justify making some of the most vile accusations possible.  We've also seen politicians issue dangerous threats and claim that it's "free speech".  And on and on it goes.

There certainly are some circumstances that truly are covered as actual "free speech".  But these days it seems that, all too often, it's being falsely claimed to try and "justify that which is unjustifiable".

Aug 11 23 08:09 pm Link