Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Do you read books? Know the Dewey Decimal System?

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Does anyone here who still read books?  This is something I asked on Facebook and thought it would be fun to ask on the MM forums next.  Call me old fashioned, but I'd really like to know if anyone still reads books.  Digital technology has changed how the youth of today experience learning.  Another off the wall question I have is how many of you know how to use the Dewey Decimal System?  How many youngsters even know what it is?

Reading Challenge!  Go to the Library and prove it! 
Go find a book and post the "call number" and the book you found.

Jul 26 23 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

After seeing the Terracotta Warriors in Xi'an, I went to my library when I arrived home and looked up books on Chinese dynasties, emperors, and  philosophers.  They had nothing of value.  After lots of web searches, I finally found some books which I purchased.  Now I have them for constant reference. 
As for the DDS, libraries have computerized files with all the book titles, authors, and probably categories with a number ( from  001.000 to 999.999) and organized by category which identifies the aisle where the book can be found.   I remember the days when the lookup was done on index cards.

Jul 28 23 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US

Jul 28 23 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

j_francis_imagery wrote:
https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/0 … ange.html#

Thank you! This is an interesting article!  Eye opening in fact!

Jul 28 23 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Skylark Photo

Austin, Texas, US

It's not a call number, but I remember the first part of the Dewey Decimal system I learned was that the numbers starting with 629 were about cars, hotrods, etc.

Jul 30 23 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

rxz wrote:
I remember the days when the lookup was done on index cards.

Yes, the Good'ol Days!
In those days I attended UC Berkely which has one of the largest library systems in the world.
A main stop on any campus tour was the card catalogue room in the main library, a room the size of the average high school gymnasium and full, wall to wall with row after row of card catalogues. It was an imposing sight, hence the stop on the tours!
It was one of my stops when every few years I took friends to visit the campus. Now imagine my horror when on one occasion I stopped by and all those card catalogues had been replaced by CRT stations...., very anticlimactic!!!
John

Aug 05 23 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

AlanDewey

Clearwater, Florida, US

Dewey Decimal System?   I resemble that remark.

I do not remember the numbers, but used to be no matter what town I was in, I would go to that number and just browse books on electronic engineering.  One school I went to used the Library of Congress method and EE books were scattered all over the place.

Aug 17 23 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Super Dimension Foto

Portland, Oregon, US

Aug 19 23 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Super Dimension Foto wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZHoHaAYHq8

Beat me to it.

Aug 20 23 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Super Dimension Foto wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZHoHaAYHq8

That is hilarious!  Seriously, I think I'll use the Library Of Congress System instead?

Aug 20 23 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Adventure Photos

Palos Park, Illinois, US

I recall being taught how to find, and use the card catalogs of subject, author, title, etc. from our high school freshman English class.    Recall how hard it was to find research books for writing a paper, and being on a 'wait' list at the front desk to get a certain book that had to STAY in library as so many needed it for their same paper. ( Teacher has 3 sections of that class, = about 90 students total , all needing same reference to write stupid paper.) The work we did without the internet back then!  Then if you had ONE wrong reference footnote, a wrong page on a quote, it was called plagiarism and you automatically failed that paper for 'cheating'.   After all that work 
     Yes, I read tons of books these days.  I tend to buy them on Amazon.  Maybe 60 to 70 a year.     It's a relief to sit and read, hold the book, and ignore social media shit going on for others frozen to their phones.

Aug 28 23 08:17 pm Link