Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > "Scientists stunned by planet's record Sept heat"

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

rxz wrote:
Given the topic of this thread is climate change, this post is just crap.  Time to put the mods on notice.  Better yet - put them in the penalty box if not dismissal.

Now how does that line from that Disney film go? "If you can't say anything nice, keep your mouth shut". No, that wasn't it...

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/r … ORM=VRDGAR

Apr 19 24 02:23 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

JSouthworth wrote:
The exception to this might be in the case of prisoners doing unpaid work. If it is necessary to confine millions of socially toxic drug addicts, sex offenders, gang members and other criminals in prisons and detention camps in order to maintain order in general society, it can be argued that they should be used as a labour resource to offset the cost of their detention and as a means of maintaining prison discipline.

Well put. Reichsführer Heinrich Himmler could not have said that any better.

Apr 19 24 09:12 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Focuspuller wrote:
Well put. Reichsführer Heinrich Himmler could not have said that any better.

Which just goes to prove that you don't know any more about Nazi Germany than you do about anything else, including your own country. I think if you perform robotic work for long enough you end up having the intelligence and initiative of a robot, before you are replaced by a robot. In general, people shouldn't be used to perform repetitive mechanical tasks, in factories for example.

At the moment there are 1.9 million people in detention facilities in the US, roughly twice as many people as are employed in car manufacturing. A significant labor force.

From the economic perspective, what we need to see in industry is a priority being placed on efficiency and productivity. Not on employment, or the maintenance of traditional, employment based social class structures. And individuals should be given more help in developing their own business models and creative projects.

Apr 20 24 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

Never mind.

Apr 20 24 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Moderator Note!
Please stay on topic.

Apr 20 24 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

From the ecological perspective, it would obviously be better if people lived where they worked instead of using cars for commuting, resulting in serious damage to the environment. This used to be the norm in the UK and most industrialised countries.

It would make sense for new houses and apartment buildings to be constructed with outbuildings that can be used as workshops, or with industrial units nearby. Conversely, when a new factory or distribution center or hospital is planned, nearby housing for the workforce should be included in the planning.

Apr 21 24 03:59 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Ohh…or…or…we could have great big barracks next to the factories for those industries that require more than a simple workshop!  That way the workers housing could be taken care of too!

Do you think that communal showers would also have a positive impact on the Environment ?

Apr 21 24 07:42 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Studio NSFW wrote:
Ohh…or…or…we could have great big barracks next to the factories for those industries that require more than a simple workshop!  That way the workers housing could be taken care of too!

That reminds me of something I saw in Berlin when I was there in 96, a few years after the Wall came down.

Apr 22 24 02:08 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

In looking back for 2023 in the U.S., the estimated economic cost from severe storm damage was 93 billion, a good year.  For 2022, the estimated cost was 165 billion.  The oceans impact the continent's weather. If the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans continue to warm in the northern hemisphere, North America is in a unique location to experience more extreme weather events in future years and decades.  Australia and Africa have the same issues with oceans, but I haven't been following oceans temperatures in the southern hemisphere.  As for Europe and Asia, they're on their own.

Apr 23 24 07:06 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

Going back close to 40 years ago, I believed the out liars saying a warming planet and climate change was going to be a serious issue for humanity going forward.  Back them I thought humans may last 1000 years before becoming extinct due to a changing climate.  So I've been making small attempts to be climate sensitive.   But now I thinking for the U.S., do we have the electrical power grit to support wholesale transfer of gas vehicles and appliances to electric?  And electric power plants run by coal and natural gas are still fossil users.  I still have a gas vehicle, furnace, hot water heater,  stove, and clothes dryer.  And I also have a whole house gas powered generator to power my house when the electric goes out.  I live in an established neighborhood where electric  power is provided by wires attached to dead trees in rows along streets.  I lose power about a dozen times a year for minutes to an hour or so.  The longest being 3.5 days after a nasty ice storm.  Not enough incentive yet to go electric.  For me, humans lasting a 1000 years is just a dream.
In 1960, around 3 billion people.  By 1990 around 5 billion.  Now in 2022, around 8 billion.  Total  population just making it worse.  And 1 billon cows around the world with methane farts not helping.

Apr 27 24 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Bangladesh is suffering a heatwave with temperatures of 43 Centigrade / 109 Fahrenheit;

https://www.msn.com/en-my/news/world/ba … r-AA1nSnQU

A 48.2 C temperature has been reported in Myanmar, 50 C in the Philippines;

https://www.firstpost.com/explainers/in … 65327.html

Apr 30 24 03:39 am Link