Model

Sara Scarlet

Brussels, Brussels, Belgium

Hello Model Mayhem!

I am proud to present my first photo book in collaboration with photographer Erik Noppe!

WILDERNESSES is the prod­uct of a thir­teen-year col­lab­o­ra­tion between pho­tog­ra­ph­er Erik Noppe and mod­el Sara Scar­let, which reflects a shared love of nature and adven­ture, and has tak­en them to diverse loca­tions across eleven Euro­pean coun­tries. Many of the places they’ve explored are wild and remote – lit­er­al­ly wilder­ness­es – while oth­ers are urban and indus­tri­al. Shoot­ing in chal­leng­ing cir­cum­stances is a fun­da­men­tal part of Erik and Sara’s cre­ative method. They research and plan shoots togeth­er, some­times walk­ing for miles until they find a spot where the con­di­tions are just right. Then they frame a com­po­si­tion, often inspired by ref­er­ences to art and sculp­ture. The sub­ject of a nude fig­ure in the land­scape, at one with nature, or expe­ri­enc­ing a sense of alien­ation in a built-up set­ting, serves as a metaphor for humanity’s wider rela­tion­ship with the envi­ron­ment as a whole.

WILDERNESSES will be produced in a large hardcover format with an introduction by celebrated photographer Gary Breckheimer

Format – 30 x 26cm (11 ¾  x 10 ¼ in)
160 pages
Approx. 160 colour and black and white images
Printed in Belgium on fine art paper by one of Europe's leading presses
First edition of 500 numbered copies, including special boxed editions and an exclusive patron's edition
Pledge for an exclusive signed copy from just £60
Books will ship in April 2024 from distribution centres in Belgium, the UK and US
*Note: shipments to some countries may incur additional customs charges and import taxes beyond our control

Why a physical hardcover book?

More and more of us each year experience photographs and other art works on the Internet. But like many other things, there is nothing more powerful than a real-world, physical experience. WILDERNESSES will be an aesthetic object in its own right. Produced in Belgium on fine art paper, with offset-lithographic printing, and beautifully bound, the experience of exploring its pages will be as sensual as the imagery contained inside. We will also be paying special attention to the hardcover materials, and for the exquisite boxed edition we’ll be doubly attentive to be certain that the tactile experience is even more special.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48 … ldernesses

Nov 04 23 07:46 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

I looked at your kickstarter project. Well-presented. However, your project is all or nothing and you're a quarters of the way there with 18 days to go. Good luck

Nov 04 23 10:35 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

I'm also publishing a book with the title Girls on Film, it's basically a compilation of my model photography. I'm doing it gradually, printing one copy at a time with Bonusprint while approaching booksellers who may be interested in volume production and sales.

In it's present form it's a large hardback book with black leather cover, 29 X 37 cm with 100 pages on heavyweight paper including eight pages with text, the rest with color and black and white photographs. If you want a copy, it'll cost you US $120 plus shipping, this is slightly more than the £80.00 cost of production.

Putting a book together is a very worthwhile exercise I think, it makes you consider your work as a whole as well as the merits and demerits of individual images.

Mar 21 24 04:30 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

When designing a book on a computer, you don't always get a completely realistic idea of the final product. After I had the first copy of my book printed by Bonusprint I realised that there were quite a few things I could improve on, so I went back into the Bonusprint app and re-wrote some of the text, added some new pages bringing the total to 100, substituted a couple of images for others and enlarged many of the existing ones to fully take advantage of the XL 29 X 37 cm format.

Mar 22 24 04:54 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Southworth, you just tried to hijack Sara's thread. This is about HER and HER project, not about you and your's. Start your own. You have a habit of hijacking threads and it is annoying as hell.

Mar 22 24 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Weldphoto wrote:
Southworth, you just tried to hijack Sara's thread. This is about HER and HER project, not about you and your's. Start your own.

Sara and I have something in common, which is that we're both trying to get a book published, whereas you have nothing to say about that. You are the one hijacking the thread.

Mar 23 24 05:15 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Sara Scarlet wrote:
Why a physical hardcover book?

More and more of us each year experience photographs and other art works on the Internet. But like many other things, there is nothing more powerful than a real-world, physical experience. WILDERNESSES will be an aesthetic object in its own right. Produced in Belgium on fine art paper, with offset-lithographic printing, and beautifully bound, the experience of exploring its pages will be as sensual as the imagery contained inside. We will also be paying special attention to the hardcover materials, and for the exquisite boxed edition we’ll be doubly attentive to be certain that the tactile experience is even more special.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48 … ldernesses

It's widely understood that staring at a computer screen for hours on end is not a good idea, it can lead to health problems. Hardcover books are nicer than softcover ones I think.

Mar 31 24 05:45 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Sara - I applaud your initiative

Apr 03 24 12:10 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Anyone who wants to publish a photo book should be encouraged to do so, we see too few of them these days.

Apr 03 24 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

JSouthworth wrote:
I'm also publishing a book ...

Start your own thread, Southy

Apr 04 24 09:55 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Mark Salo wrote:
Start your own thread, Southy

I already have, you'll find it in General Industry.

Apr 05 24 03:45 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

Here's hoping this works out well for you Sara!

Apr 06 24 11:16 am Link