Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Well That Was Fun...

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

TaiChiJohn wrote:
I highly recommend Paxlovid in addition to hugs! It makes a huge difference!

I feel fine now. You know how in the beginning of a cold you are like; "am I getting sick?" That is how I feel.

Orthopedic doctor couldn't get me in for the rest of the year at this particular location after I tried to reschedule this morning, so I found one for the 28th UNLESS my doctor insists on a referral. Again, I don't know how this works. hmm

Dec 11 23 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Down here in Panama, wondering how you are doing.

Dec 15 23 03:45 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Frank Lewis Photography wrote:
Down here in Panama, wondering how you are doing.

I feel pretty alone. Not in pain. Hope I am healing okay.

Dec 16 23 06:02 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Has anyone been checking on you?

Dec 16 23 12:25 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Frank Lewis Photography wrote:
Has anyone been checking on you?

My friends do not live near me. Like my two best friends live in different states. My sister checks on me once a week and we live in the same apartment complex. My dad is dying, my mom died last year. I have a "friend" that if I asked, would. I literally just need my trash taken out, my mail checked, and my laundry done once every couple of weeks. However, I do not know how I am getting to my orthopedic appointment and/or surgery. I am quite literally alone. I also have no idea how I am going to pay rent. That is all why I feel alone, much less the psychological toll this has on me with not being able to do normal things and sleep with a boot on every night.

Someone who I thought cared about me actually seemed to be disappointed I wasn't getting around on crutches like a special Olympics athlete. I haven't eaten much and my strength is very low. Crutches are the worst even WHEN you have strength.

Dec 16 23 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I HATE crutches too!

I had foot surgery on my right foot a few years back. I got around using a knee scooter and I stocked the refrigerator before I got the work done. Not a pleasant experience but friends visited a couple of times and I got through it ok. Now I can walk long distances at a brisk pace, the surgeon knew their stuff.

Dec 16 23 05:49 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Do you have a go fund me so we can help you with the rent?

Dec 16 23 09:47 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Do you have a go fund me so we can help you with the rent?

I have Paypal? [email protected]

I appreciate anything.

Dec 17 23 06:00 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
I HATE crutches too!

I had foot surgery on my right foot a few years back. I got around using a knee scooter and I stocked the refrigerator before I got the work done. Not a pleasant experience but friends visited a couple of times and I got through it ok. Now I can walk long distances at a brisk pace, the surgeon knew their stuff.

Ugh....I am living life disabled. It is so hard.

Dec 17 23 06:27 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I finally got around to doing this: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-with-re … -i-recover

I have never done this before or been in a position to even think about something like this. It is very strange but, I am alone and anything will help.

Dec 19 23 10:01 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Merry Christmas everyone. Will update if I make it to the orthopedic surgeon appt. on the 28th.

smile

Dec 24 23 07:46 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I have my appointment on Thursday for the orthopedic surgeon. I am so scared of surgery. I would say the loss of independence is the worst part of this so knowing surgery will take longer is probably the mental part that is hard. Any words of encouragement/stories, anything is appreciated. sad

Dec 26 23 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Model Sarah wrote:
Any words of encouragement/stories, anything is appreciated. sad

Of course surgery is scary! You wouldn't be normal if you were not apprehensive. BUT the good news is if your doctor is well trained and has done a bunch of these types he/she is not nervous at all. The outcome is known to the surgeon usually and that is a good recovery. Years ago I had a triple by-pass. Knowing that my heart was going to be in the hands of the surgeon, literally, was a bit unnerving, but not for him. He had a great reputation and had done many, many before mine.  I said my prayers, rolled into the operating theatre and was in dreamland in minutes. Good outcome.  My wife (much younger than I am) has had two hip replacements in the past 5 years. All went well. Recovery is not a lot of fun, but it passes and then all is well. Your ankle will be strong and sturdy soon. The discomfort of the surgery will be a vague memory.

I am confident you will do just fine. You are young, healthy, in good hands. I suspect you will have the prayers of many of us here and elsewhere. You will be fine, Sarah, and we look forward to your rapid progress reports!

Dec 26 23 07:44 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Weldphoto wrote:

Of course surgery is scary! You wouldn't be normal if you were not apprehensive. BUT the good news is if your doctor is well trained and has done a bunch of these types he/she is not nervous at all. The outcome is known to the surgeon usually and that is a good recovery. Years ago I had a triple by-pass. Knowing that my heart was going to be in the hands of the surgeon, literally, was a bit unnerving, but not for him. He had a great reputation and had done many, many before mine.  I said my prayers, rolled into the operating theatre and was in dreamland in minutes. Good outcome.  My wife (much younger than I am) has had two hip replacements in the past 5 years. All went well. Recovery is not a lot of fun, but it passes and then all is well. Your ankle will be strong and sturdy soon. The discomfort of the surgery will be a vague memory.

I am confident you will do just fine. You are young, healthy, in good hands. I suspect you will have the prayers of many of us here and elsewhere. You will be fine, Sarah, and we look forward to your rapid progress reports!

I really need to hear that. My Mom died a year and a half ago and my dad is on his death bed with cancer. I really could use any sort of encouragement. This means a lot, thank you.

Dec 26 23 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

You got this, Sarah - you're young and resourceful.  Before long, this will be a memory in your rear-view mirror.

Jud

Dec 27 23 06:48 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Managing Light wrote:
You got this, Sarah - you're young and resourceful.  Before long, this will be a memory in your rear-view mirror.

Jud

I am hoping. I have always been "Atlas" but I quite literally cannot do that now. It is probably one of the roughest times in my life.

Dec 27 23 07:18 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

GUYS!

NO SURGERY! Diagnosis is: displaced oblique fracture of the distal fibula. The bone is broken in half at an angle.

The past 4 weeks I have kept all weight off of it and now it is time for me to put weight on it with crutches. Work my way up to trying to walk normally with using one crutch as a "brace" to regain muscle strength in my left leg. I feel like a toddler learning how to walk. Orthopedic doctor says another 2- 2 1/2 months and I should be able to walk and do normal things with physical therapy.

This is SUCH good news! I could literally cry.

Edit: I took a shower for the first time in 6 weeks tonight and I cried. I could support my weight! I had been taking around 30 minutes in the bathroom maneuvering taking baths this whole time. I was in and out in 10 minutes! It's the little victories.

Dec 28 23 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

That's GREAT NEWS Sarah!!!

Dec 28 23 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

Great! And know that every day you are healing and on the road to recovery. 👍

PS: When I had foot surgery I never did get the hang of crutches, Had to rely on a  walker, then a cane. During recovery I could only go up and down stairs in my house on my butt, one step at a time.😂

Dec 29 23 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I had reconstructive surgery on my right foot a few years back. It wasn't broken but the bones were badly out of alignment. They showed me the post surgery x-ray, I have on long titanium screw and two long staples holding my bones in place. 2 bones were fused. It took a while to heal, now I can easily walk briskly without discomfort. I'm glad I had it done, the long term benefits outweighed the short term torment.

Hope all is well, Cheers!!!!

Dec 29 23 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Model Sarah wrote:
GUYS!

NO SURGERY!

YEAH!!!  What great news! You dodged the bullet.

Dec 29 23 12:19 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
I had reconstructive surgery on my right foot a few years back. It wasn't broken but the bones were badly out of alignment. They showed me the post surgery x-ray, I have on long titanium screw and two long staples holding my bones in place. 2 bones were fused. It took a while to heal, now I can easily walk briskly without discomfort. I'm glad I had it done, the long term benefits outweighed the short term torment.

Hope all is well, Cheers!!!!

Well basically this middle image is what happened to me:

https://i.postimg.cc/pLMvsZYs/22185-oblique-fracture.webp

I showed the xrays on the first page here but I didn't realize how much of an angle it happened. Apparently this is common among oblique fractures? I broke the bone almost perfectly to where surgery isn't needed. The actual gap is healing normally. The doctor literally said to me; "I rarely deliver news this good." It still means I have about 2+ months with physical therapy to walk normally again but I'll take it.

ALSO! Negative for Covid after 2+ weeks. big_smile

Dec 29 23 03:54 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Anyone have any ideas for shoes that can cover this new brace?

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/415596087_10168382048680327_6884803402284494170_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=dd5e9f&_nc_ohc=pSaTkU1lf3kAX8zk8kU&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=00_AfAEcw3XibUi27ZUmj5vcuRPHm2Q4TEVEwrDt-1yeBLuaA&oe=659514A7

Dec 29 23 04:23 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

It hurts a lot. But, I can kind of walk?

I made pho broth tonight and I'm ringing in the new year with being able to walk and do things normally. I hope you all are as well. smile

Dec 31 23 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Model Sarah wrote:
It hurts a lot. But, I can kind of walk?

I made pho broth tonight and I'm ringing in the new year with being able to walk and do things normally. I hope you all are as well. smile

Happy New Year, Sarah!  Good to hear you are doing better!

I've not commented on your post for a bit as it brings back some rather unpleasant memories of broken bones I've had in the past.  I fell off a barn and fractured my neck at the c-2!   I was very lucky it didn't move or else I would have been quadriplegic! yikes   I've broken ribs, and my ankles .. then I also broke my right leg at the fibula AND tibia!  THTA HURT!  I've recovered from all that. It seems you are on a good path to recovery too.
Best Wishes for 2024!

Dec 31 23 06:10 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Happy New Year, Sarah!  Good to hear you are doing better!

I've not commented on your post for a bit as it brings back some rather unpleasant memories of broken bones I've had in the past.  I fell off a barn and fractured my neck at the c-2!   I was very lucky it didn't move or else I would have been quadriplegic! yikes   I've broken ribs, and my ankles .. then I also broke my right leg at the fibula AND tibia!  THTA HURT!  I've recovered from all that. It seems you are on a good path to recovery too.
Best Wishes for 2024!

I don't know what better means because it really hurts to walk. The Orthopedic doctor seemed bored of me but I am in a lot of pain and can barely walk.I don't think it is important to compare stories but to empathize.

I need to emphasize, I am not working. I cannot walk properly. My maintenance people take my trash out if they see it. My laundry gets done every 3 weeks. My independence is hindered and I am TRYING to find solace.

Again, if no one has seen this; I need help with rent and bills; https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-with-re … -i-recover

Jan 01 24 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Model Sarah wrote:

I don't know what better means because it really hurts to walk. The Orthopedic doctor seemed bored of me but I am in a lot of pain and can barely walk.I don't think it is important to compare stories but to empathize.

I need to emphasize, I am not working. I cannot walk properly. My maintenance people take my trash out if they see it. My laundry gets done every 3 weeks. My independence is hindered and I am TRYING to find solace.

Again, if no one has seen this; I need help with rent and bills; https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-with-re … -i-recover

I'd contribute to your GoFundMe if I could, but I have one going for my heart medication and future surgery. You are going to get stronger and will be back on your feet.  Patience and realizing what you can do while healing will help.   Is there anyone at all that you can call to come help you?   Can you ask for a medical deferment on payment off some of your bills?  Times like this is why I like roommates .  hmm   I'll check and see if we are Facebook friends .. and post your link.  This is temporary!

Jan 01 24 10:20 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
I'd contribute to your GoFundMe if I could, but I have one going for my heart medication and future surgery. You are going to get stronger and will be back on your feet.  Patience and realizing what you can do while healing will help.   Is there anyone at all that you can call to come help you?   Can you ask for a medical deferment on payment off some of your bills?  Times like this is why I like roommates .  hmm   I'll check and see if we are Facebook friends .. and post your link.  This is temporary!

I have a pretty high pain tolerance but this is a very dull but "hot" pain, if that makes sense? 500 mg Tylenol just isn't helping. I am also not very good at taking pain medication. A lot of that has to do with not getting very sick often but really I went through the medical wringer in 2019 for nearly a year thinking I was dying from a mysterious GI issue when I ended up figuring out (through Google medical journals) it was a VERY rare allergy to my new blood pressure medication. It makes me both apprehensive and grateful for the medical community. Strange place to be in.

Yes and no, I have a few people - sort of. My sister lives right next door but her and her 3 adult children are extremely unreliable. I see my son's father's family every two weekends and his aunt helps with laundry. I have a "friend" that says she is there for me but anytime I text her (which is not often) she seems busy. My close friends live in different states so it is difficult to help. Thank god my maintenance guy (I think) takes out my trash when he sees it. That's a huge thing. I am probably going to make whoever is doing that homemade banana bread soon, actually. It is just hard because it forces me to feel alone, if that makes sense? It's very weird because I am an extremely independent person. The rare times I have been sick, I am impossible to take care of. I always appreciate it but never ask or expect it. This I am literally forced to and it feels extremely vulnerable and weird. sad THE most depressing part of this is my lack of motivation to cook. Food is my life and creative outlet. I plan to go into it for a living, if I can figure an angle out. My appetite is next to nothing and I just have no motivation to eat or cook anything. It feels like part of myself is asleep/gone.

If you shared my gofundme, link on social media that would be awesome! Anything can help at this point.

Jan 02 24 02:02 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Snow day here in Ohio but I can walk/hobble with my weight more and more each day!

I can do this! big_smile

Jan 06 24 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Model Sarah wrote:
Snow day here in Ohio but I can walk/hobble with my weight more and more each day!

I can do this! big_smile

Yep!  All of us knew that.
Just keep doing the TLC thing with that leg.

Jan 07 24 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Good to hear that You are on the mend

Jan 08 24 07:20 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Managing Light wrote:

THAT is my issue. I tend to go 0-100 on everything I do. I cannot do that with this. Like right now, I can put all of my weight on my ankle but I can't bend my knee when I walk. I did that last night and it was excruciating pain. I'm a back sleeper but I can't position my leg/ankle in certain ways without dying of pain. Thing like that. That will take a while. I thought about modeling again soon but I am in no shape to do that yet. I don't want to go into my job NOT 100% or even 80%. I can't just post a notice saying; "Hey, let's work around my injury!" #professionalism lol

Jan 08 24 12:37 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Update: it really hurts when I walk a lot on the heel of my foot. I mean, define "walking" but I no longer need my office chair to get around my apartment, so yay! I cannot walk like a normal person sole to heel, er, heel to sole? I forgot how to walk lol but you know what? I'll take it. It means I am healing! I took my trash out and checked my mail yesterday! Well,- very slowly. It's the little things, guys. smile

Jan 15 24 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Model Sarah wrote:
I cannot walk like a normal person sole to heel, er, heel to sole? I forgot how to walk lol but you know what? I'll take it. It means I am healing! I took my trash out and checked my mail yesterday! Well,- very slowly. It's the little things, guys. smile

It took me a while to relearn to walk after tearing my Achillies tendon and having it surgically repaired over the summer.
You will get there.

And yeah, the little accomplishments feel good.

Jan 15 24 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JSouthworth wrote:
Your X ray pictures just remind me of some others I saw a while back, they were actually in a leaflet or program for a roller derby bout. Lower leg/ankle injuries are common in that sport for obvious reasons, people tend to get hit by roller skates in those areas.

Just because you have a thought or memory, doesn't mean you must always share it with others.

Jan 16 24 10:40 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Chris Macan wrote:

It took me a while to relearn to walk after tearing my Achillies tendon and having it surgically repaired over the summer.
You will get there.

And yeah, the little accomplishments feel good.

As I was saying before, I need to stop thinking things will be normal "soon"..It is going to take me a while. I know better logically, I mean I literally broke a bone in half. That's not something that heals quickly. But once I started putting all of my weight on my ankle/foot, the process seemed to go "faster"? So I'm like; "let's run, Sarah!" Nope. No running.

Jan 16 24 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Managing Light wrote:

Model Sarah wrote:
THAT is my issue. I tend to go 0-100 on everything I do. I cannot do that with this.

How about channeling all that enthusiasm/energy/frustration on your cooking, which you said will require more work to become a professional and you're doing some cooking now..  I don't know what that might be, since I hate to cook and stay as far away from it as possible:  BUT, I'll bet that like any profession, it requires study as well as hands-on experience.

Anyway, I hope that you're finding "every day a little bit better."

Jan 16 24 03:00 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Managing Light wrote:
How about channeling all that enthusiasm/energy/frustration on your cooking, which you said will require more work to become a professional and you're doing some cooking now..  I don't know what that might be, since I hate to cook and stay as far away from it as possible:  BUT, I'll bet that like any profession, it requires study as well as hands-on experience.

Anyway, I hope that you're finding "every day a little bit better."

Because I kind of need to learn how to walk? I am a fantastic cook. I can cook anything. I can't cook for other people when I can't walk/function properly. I can barely cook for myself right now because of mobility, depression, and I cannot afford food/delivery. Modeling has been my living for half of my life. It changed during covid. I can't just go from a career to another overnight. My parents are dead and I have no one to help me with anything. I am living in poverty, literally. I mean, why do you think I am talking to a forum about this? Geez. Now I'm crying.

Jan 16 24 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Feel better soon.   #hugs

Jan 18 24 03:21 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I can walk okay! My ankle is still sore if I walk more than 10 minutes, so I'm not ready for that yet...but it seems like every 2 or 3 days I can tell I am healing extremely well. Stairs are still iffy. Going down them in particular, I have to go down them at an angle in order for shooting pain not to occur. I don't think I need PT, but I don't know much about and the benefits of it?

I feel like by the end of February I should be pretty okay. By then it will have been 3 months. I'm going to start trying to schedule modeling sessions locally in February. Unfortunately, I can't risk hiking but studio should be fine within reason.

My rent is due in a week and I am about $300+ short on it. But thanks to random help from people, it has definitely helped me not feel as alone. My best friend came back from a family trip and called me last night. I realized at one point I was talking AT her, if that makes sense? That's how alone/lonely I have been. I thought that was pretty funny at the time. smile

Jan 25 24 02:17 pm Link