Forums > Accomplishments, Achievements and High Fives > Chernobyl book makes New Release Best Sellers list

Photographer

michaelarion

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I am writing to tell you the exciting news that my book, Chernobyl: Aftermath of the World’s Greatest Nuclear Disaster, is available for purchase on Amazon. I’ve been working on this book for the last 30 months and am hoping to make a big push to sell as many copies to raise my ranking in the Best Sellers list. 
In just one day it became Amazon's #1 New Release!

As one of the last professional photographers to photograph the disaster site and reactor before its encapsulation, I decided to write a book about my interviews and documentation in the Exclusion Zone - the survivors, the babas still living there, and the children and orphans affected by radiation birth defects.

Here’s a direct link to purchase the book:   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CQGXDLHX
To read more about the book and see a few early reviews, visit my website
(and of course, please pass this link along to your Facebook and social media friends) at:  https://www.ChernobylAftermath.com/

Chernobyl was quite a difference from photographing MM models for the past 14 years, but also more meaningful (but continuous practice of self-assigned projects with MM models kept me in shape - both visually and creatively).
I am deeply grateful for your support and hope this book makes its way onto your bookshelf and into the world
as a reference to what was once there, and now only remembered by pictures.
As photographers, we are historians whose images we create will long outlive us, providing an accurate and truthful documentation of what we saw through through the lens of a camera. 

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Peace On Earth

Mike

Dec 18 23 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

Congratulations! I'm a bit obsessed with Chernobyl, so I might have to get one. Looks like it's already doing well on Amazon.

Curious, since it looks like you self published, what printer you used and other details. I'm working on a photo book (also not about models, but based in the U.S), and just had a one off beta printed, learned a lot.

Dec 19 23 10:19 am Link

Photographer

michaelarion

It's been said by authors that writing a book is the hardest thing they've ever done.
I can now testify that there's truth to that, and most rewarding because now the world knows and will know what you've written and photographed, long after we’re gone.
Rather than producing another picture book on Chernobyl like I first considered, adding a human element to the story - the babas still living there, the survivors and the victims make the book more humanizing  and personal to readers.
Hiring an editor, proof reader, cover designer and publishing agent helped me navigate the process of getting the book written and then into print via Amazon's KDP.
It took 30 months and it wasn't cheap, but neither are good cameras.
If you think you can do everything yourself - good luck.
Having a team to help like I did increased my luck - placing my book on the Amazon #1 New Release Best Sellers list in just one day. 
p.s.  Get all your photos copyrighted and model releases if applicable.

Dec 26 23 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

After the movie (Chernobyl Diaries) and the video game (Stalker; Shadow of Chernobyl) we now have a book as well. The Chernobyl disaster was a significant event, certainly worth writing about.

Dec 27 23 07:44 am Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

michaelarion wrote:
p.s.  Get all your photos copyrighted and model releases if applicable.

Thanks. No models--all non human subjects.
Do you mean to register copyright? As they say, it's copyrighted when it's created.

Dec 28 23 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Congratulations, nicely done website. Everything looks very clear and you had a fascinating subject. Excellent call to bring the human element and stories to the foreground.
Any tips for someone considering putting together a book?

Dec 31 23 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

michaelarion

It’s copyrighted when it’s created – wishful thinking when dishonest people, publishers and other unscrupulous parties use/misuse an image without permission nor compensation to the creator.
Try suing anyone using your photos and it’s a 10K upfront expense in Federal Court – if you can prove it’s your image.

I copyright registered all 415 photos in my book for only $55.00 – well worth the advance expense if and when it comes time to prove who the creator was. 
Digital manipulation makes your image a tempting template for someone else's creation, and with AI – it’s gone.

Jan 01 24 12:39 pm Link