Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Make your 2024 Predictions!

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

First off, I wish everyone a happy, healthy and prosperous 2024!

Let's hear some of your VERY SPECIFIC predictions for 2024.  The less obvious, the better.

It will be interesting to see how they actually turn out when we get a chance to look back on these, as things (all too often!) just don't go as predicted / planned.

So let's hear them!

Jan 01 24 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

I'll start with this one:

- In a strange twist, the Republican House will flip to the Democrats, but the Democrat controlled Senate will flip to the Republicans.

And hell if I know when it comes to the Presidency...

Jan 01 24 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

In 2024 there will be at least one attempt in a State with a MAGA dominated majority to secede from the United States.

Jan 02 24 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Focuspuller wrote:
In 2024 there will be at least one attempt in a State with a MAGA dominated majority to secede from the United States.

That would be an attempt to secede form the Union.

Jan 02 24 10:05 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

Focuspuller wrote:

Texas has the option if it wants.  It was independent country before joining the US.

Jan 02 24 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

rxz wrote:
Texas has the option if it wants.  It was independent country before joining the US.

And the validity of that claim will be an issue debated in 2024.

Jan 02 24 11:03 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Focuspuller wrote:

A note on this particular side topic, from experience...

In the past, Quebec looked like it seriously wanted to separate from Canada.   It didn't really matter whether it was technically allowed or not, it just made more sense to settle it in a clear, but peaceful, vote.  Better at the ballot box than in a war, or what have you.

If the assets and debts are fairly apportioned, let whatever a clear majority (in the particular Canadian Province or U.S. State) wants to do, do.  I.E. Just let them go, it's a lot easier.

Having said that (sort of like the Brits and the E.U.), trying to get permission to rejoin later, or enter into some type of economic (or other) "union", is quite a different matter.

In the case of Quebec, once the referendum actually happened, it seemed that more people wanted to complain, or threaten to leave, than were actually willing to "pull the plug", so to speak.  It didn't happen.

Sorry for this "side issue", but it's advice (from experience) that may come in handy for the U.S., should this particularly plausible prediction come true...

Jan 02 24 11:22 am Link

Photographer

TaiChiJohn

New York, New York, US

I'm gonna go with giant Asian hornets cross-breeding with African killer bees.

Jan 02 24 11:40 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

Focuspuller wrote:

haha.  Then I would support a southern boarder wall - Eastern New Mexico, Southern Oklahoma, and Western Arkansas and Louisiana.

Jan 02 24 11:45 am Link