Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Is there an Ultimate Magazine Submission List ?

Photographer

Dubbelbeeld

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Aug 18 11 07:16 am Link

Publication

Glam Couture magazine

Modesto, California, US

I'd like to throw my magazine into the pot. Www.glamcouturemag.com online and print, celebrities, fashion, entertainment art.

Aug 18 11 06:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ms BSK

Brooklyn, New York, US

Kenton Magazine www.kentonmagazine.com - online - they are always looking for new and interesting submissions.

See.7 Magazine http://www.see7mag.com - they are in print and online.

Aug 18 11 07:31 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Pretty Deadly Stylz

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Oh love how this one actually kept going!

Lula: http://www.lulamag.com/

125 Magazine: http://www.125magazine.com/index.php

Tangent Magazine :http://tangentmag.com/

ION Magazine:http://www.ionmagazine.ca/:

General Comments or Questions:[email protected]

Vanessa Leigh: Publisher/Fashion Director:  [email protected]

Tyler Quarles: Art Director: [email protected]

Dress To Kill Magazine: www.dresstokillmagazine.com:

EDITORIAL DIRECTOR Sylvain Blais [email protected]

EDITOR IN CHIEF Stéphane Le Duc [email protected]

FASHION DIRECTOR Fritz [email protected]

COMMENTS & PHOTO SUBMISSIONS\ [email protected]

Aug 20 11 06:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

kelli zehnder

Los Angeles, California, US

Aug 24 11 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Carine Ottou

London, England, United Kingdom

StyleSample wrote:
I've been considering accepting submissions for my online/print magazine (http://stylesamplemag.com), and am curious about what photographers look for in magazines they'd like to be featured in--tear sheets? Recognition? A chance to show off their creativity?

I'd love to include more editorial photography as most of my readers are very much into fashion, but am still trying to figure out the best way to request submissions. Any feedback/ideas?

Hello,

I am interested in submitting to Fashion Mag or to fashion/editorial; please have a look at my work and let me know if interested

My website: www.mapetitphotography.com

Thanks
Carine

Sep 19 11 02:04 pm Link

Publication

Impostor Magazine

Seattle, Washington, US

Sep 19 11 02:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Kana L Brown

Evansville, Indiana, US

This is all great information...
I guess my question would be as a MUA do you submit your work from your portfolio to get that published or so that they will contact you to work with you ?? ....We only have one magazine here,, small town lol

Sep 21 11 04:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cheeks Make Up Artistry

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Kana L Brown wrote:
This is all great information...
I guess my question would be as a MUA do you submit your work from your portfolio to get that published or so that they will contact you to work with you ?? ....We only have one magazine here,, small town lol

I second that.  I would like more information on that also.  I would image as a makeup artist we would need to make sure we have a release from the photographer before submitting to magazines

Sep 25 11 07:09 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Pretty Deadly Stylz

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have a hairstylist friend who gets permission from the photographer (or copyright holder) and submits images to hairstyling & make up magazines.

You want to work on shoots for a magazine?:

In most cases you simply submit a sample of your work to the magazine in your area to the magazine. Or you can contact the people involved regularly with the magazine (a certain photographer always getting published? Send them a intro email).

Just want to get published?:

Again find the magazines you like, find out if they take submissions, or have a contact email, or submission process.

You can either send a intro email, with examples of your work.

Or send SMALL/ Watermarked images of the shoot you want to get published.
With the teams credits, and websites.

Example:

Photographer: XZXZXZZX  www.XZXZXZ.com
Stylist:
MUA:
Hair:
MODEL: ZXZXZXZX @ FORD

If they are interested they will reply, some give out emails that state they got your email. And some just never say Hi ever.

But if you want to get published there, don't stop sending work in, try for once a month, if they like it, they'll bug you eventually, either that or ask you to stop emailing. wink

Anyway the worst that can happen is it doesn't get published.  wink

Sep 26 11 06:27 am Link

Makeup Artist

Annastazia U

Germantown, Maryland, US

I thought only photographers could make submissions to magazines. Can makeup artists do so as well? And is there such a thing as a creative team that you could be apart of.

Oct 05 11 03:53 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Pretty Deadly Stylz

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

As long as you have permission from the copyright holder ( and I like to make sure team)  MUA's, Hairstylist, Models, Designers they can all submit.

What it comes down to is can you provide the magazine with the photo agreement/contract/release signed by the photographer, and the model release/contract etc.

I set up a few creative teams, these are teams that shoot specifically to submit to magazines.

I also work with a magazine, to set up shoots specifically for it, and those teams vary depending on the look and feel I want for an editorial.

There are MANY magazines out there that do take submissions, and I am working to try and find as much info on all genres as possible.

But if you know of some I don't please list it here. wink

Oct 05 11 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

sanjayb

Los Angeles, California, US

Pretty Deadly Stylz wrote:
Looking to widen my own list on magazine submissions.  Looking for LOTS more!

** There's been so much updates, and I try to add them, but its says its too much. SO I have posted them to my FB Page, I don't need you to like the page to read the info, its just there if you want to take the time:

What I have:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=467451047916

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_i … 1503962917

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_i … 1503052917

You are freaking awesome.

Edit: Also Turn Magazine, Vice Magazine

Oct 05 11 05:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Greenwood

There is a new British one, Magpie Darling that is printed and online www.magpiedarling.com

Oct 23 11 01:06 am Link

Model

IG Ohblaquepanther

Houston, Texas, US

THANKS SO MUCH!! AWESOME THREAD!!

Dec 11 11 01:00 pm Link

Hair Stylist

HairByJemz

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

BUMP!

this thread is amazing, thank you Ms. Pretty Deadly Stylez!

I was recently published for a fashion editorial in XO Magazine... I don't think I saw it on the list... here's a link:

http://issuu.com/xomag/docs/january2012
http://xomagazineonline.wordpress.com/

They take submissions (usually there's a theme). My editorial for MU & HS is from page 42-47 if anyone wants to peep it!

xo MMers!

Jan 24 12 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Kendra Storm Rae

Berlin, Berlin, Germany

Apr 25 12 04:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

boy does makeup

Atlanta, Georgia, US

http://www.primetimex.com

Fashion/Pageant/Beauty... takes submission, also has feature articles on photographers, models, stylist, and entertainers.

Apr 26 12 01:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty x Blasina

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Here's another one, they just launched their first issue! They take new submissions every month.

http://estelamag.com/estela/current.html

Apr 26 12 11:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

boy does makeup

Atlanta, Georgia, US

HairByJemz wrote:
BUMP!

this thread is amazing, thank you Ms. Pretty Deadly Stylez!

I was recently published for a fashion editorial in XO Magazine... I don't think I saw it on the list... here's a link:

http://issuu.com/xomag/docs/january2012
http://xomagazineonline.wordpress.com/

They take submissions (usually there's a theme). My editorial for MU & HS is from page 42-47 if anyone wants to peep it!

xo MMers!

nice editorial

/threadjack

Apr 27 12 01:00 pm Link

Apr 27 12 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

AC Photo and Video

New York, New York, US

schonmagazine.com
fiascoplus.com
w25mag.com
tapmagazine.net
inprintphotomag.com
vigore-mag.com

Jun 19 12 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

MaxPanther

København, Hovedstaden, Denmark

Jun 23 12 04:26 am Link

Photographer

fiona Quinn photographe

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

I have had quite a few magazines email me asking if I want to submit shoots.I don't do a lot of uncommissioned magazine work but will sometimes have a shoot I have done for fun that I would rather have published than not or will shoot something that has a different flavour than the mags I usually work for to fill a gap in my portfolio.
It is quite disconcerting though when magazines dont accept submissions but also dont pay anyone either so you shoot for them for completely free but you also need to include certain labels etc This happens a lot more than most people realise - its a good way to get exposure but the people who benefit most are the magazine and the designers featured and somebody is making quite a lot of money....
Remix mag here accepts submissions http://.remix.co.nz they get hundreds for every issue but also support up and coming talent.
Fashion Gone Rogue also accepts exclusives as does Chaos mag.

Jun 23 12 04:54 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Very good list so far, I didn't know a lot of these smaller magazines and some have some pretty interesting work in them.

Thanks for that

Jul 01 12 07:37 am Link

Makeup Artist

Christina Cleary

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Olivia Clee wrote:
Are there any in Australia? Or doesn't it really matter whether its in your own country or not?

Olivia Darling, Australian's tend to get ignored here (which makes no sense, since we are the most talented artists in America - makeup, hair, actors/actresses). No one has answered you, but no, it doesn't matter whether you are Australian or not. Submit!

Jul 01 12 09:46 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Annastazia M wrote:
I thought only photographers could make submissions to magazines. Can makeup artists do so as well? And is there such a thing as a creative team that you could be apart of.

True unless they give a specific release to you, but are you not part of the team?  Personally I would love to have the MUA I work with say "hey this magazine is looking for submission and I think when we shot XYZ would be perfect".  Even better "I found this great magazine that is doing a XYZ theme issue, let's shoot an editorial and submit it"

Sure paid assigments are good but we all need to spend time getting our work in front of those potential clients.  If you are only looking for work when business is slow you are doomed, it's the full time job we get along with our other full time jobs smile

Jul 01 12 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Bartosz Och

WWW.DEFUZEMAG.CO.UK

They are great. Featuring my works in almost every issue smile recommend!!

I am sure they run a facebook and twitter page as well.

Jul 20 12 04:17 am Link

Model

Rachel Garza

Corpus Christi, Texas, US

Kristina Vassilieva wrote:
bump! smile x o

http://iconographymag.com/submissions/

The link is super old... it says Jan 2010... do you know if this magazine is still accepting submissions?

Jul 26 12 01:10 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Pretty Deadly Stylz

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I haven't been able to update the lists in some time, and wanted to say its awesome there are so many new ones being posted.

And there are some lovely Australian magazines, like FRANKIE,... http://www.frankie.com.au/

*some of the magazines may no longer be up and running, hense I shall be checking out the links and updating as soon as I can fit it in!

* also you do not have to stick to your own country to submit, so get out there, look around and start getting published!

Jul 27 12 09:49 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Pretty Deadly Stylz wrote:
I haven't been able to update the lists in some time, and wanted to say its awesome there are so many new ones being posted.

And there are some lovely Australian magazines, like FRANKIE,... http://www.frankie.com.au/

*some of the magazines may no longer be up and running, hense I shall be checking out the links and updating as soon as I can fit it in!

* also you do not have to stick to your own country to submit, so get out there, look around and start getting published!

Tasha,

You are truly a fantastic advocate for images to be seen by the masses wink  Thank you for compiling this listing and I truly do envy your commitment to excellence in yourself and others and miss being able to see and work with you

Jul 29 12 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Here's a post I made to another thread on the subject a couple of weeks ago.

~~~~~

The first step is always to research the magazine. Check their last two issues (at least) to get a clear idea of what they use.

Look for patterns and commonalities. Do they use 3x as many horizontals as verticals, or vice versa? Do the use mostly studio shots or location shots? Indoor or outdoor locations? But mostly look for similarities in content and style.

If they use photos mainly to illustrate articles, you're shooting in the dark unless you know what articles they have planned.

See what you can glean from the magazine's web site. What does it say about content? What does it say about their preferred format for submissions and method of receiving them?

Magazines used to have printed "guidelines for photographers" that included useful information. Not so much anymore, but if you can find an email address for the photo editor or some comparable position, it never hurts to ask. (One or two businesslike sentences is enough. Don't make it a query letter, and don't try to sell them anything yet.)

If each issue has a theme, see if you can get a list of themes for upcoming issues (preferably with deadline dates). Some magazines keep this information in-house except for regular contributors, so it doesn't fall into the hands of their competitors.

Remember that magazines work ahead. The bigger the magazine, the greater the lag time. Many magazines are working on December or January issues now. Some have different people working on different issues at the same time.

Google the magazine for information (sometimes found on photographers' forums) about their rates - and any other information.

You can check Photographers Market - but it lists a lot fewer magazines (and a lot more galleries, contests and exhibitions) than it did before Writers Digest purchased it.

If you think your work fits the magazine, submit it using their preferred method. Ask them to confirm receipt. (They may or may not.)

Use a rifle, not a shotgun approach. It may be six months before you get a response - if you do. So those photos will be in limbo for a while.

If you don't tailor your work to the magazine, and you find another magazine that's a better fit, you're either stuck, or you have to ask to withdraw your submission - which means you won't be working with that magazine in the future.

If it's a local magazine, try to get an appointment with the photo editor to show your portfolio (tailored as much as possible to the types of photos that the magazine uses). If the response is favorable, mention that you would like to submit to the magazine - and you're available for assignments. Don't overstay your welcome.

Used to be that freelancers would often send a query letter to the magazine to gauge interest. Many pros still do. An easy way to let them actually see some of the photos is to post them in a password-protected folder on your web site or your MM portfolio page and include the link with your query email. Don't forget to include the password.

If the magazine expresses interest, proceed. It's not a guarantee, but they just gave you the go-ahead. If they're not interested, you may have just saved yourself six months.

Unless it's a really dinky magazine, don't submit anything that has ever been "published" - even in a public portfolio on MM, Facebook, etc.

A few weeks ago a photo editor asked me - three times! - whether the photos had *ever* been on Facebook, etc., before he would even look at them. He said he wanted to do a three-page spread for their next issue within minutes of viewing the photos in a password-protected folder. It's good to get a quick answer. It's also rare.

Be prepared to provide information for captions. Better yet, include it with your submission.

If you have a model release, mention it in your query letter (but don't attach it to the letter or email). If you don't have a release, well, you're not quite ready to submit the photos.

Virtually all magazines are considered commercial use for purposes of a model release. Most of the exceptions are magazines published by a government or a non-profit - and some of those are considered commercial, too.

In your query letter, don't get wound up and include tons of information, like I just did. Keep it brief and businesslike. Respect their time.

Unless asked to do otherwise, I send retouched, uncropped photos (full-resolution JPEGs) - to allow maximum flexibility to fit photos into the space available. If you're shooting a potential cover, leave plenty of air around the subject - space for the magazine's nameplate, teasers for inside articles, mailing label, price bar code, etc.

I use yousendit.com or a similar service for submissions. That way, the photos, brief cover latter, caption information and model release(s) all arrive at the same time. The recipient can easily download them into the same folder to keep everything in one place.

You should be aware that in the US (and most countries), the photographer owns the copyrights to photos. In the US there are generally two exceptions.

The first is if the photographer takes the photos for his/her employer as part of his job. (This doesn't apply when the photographer is hired for a project as an independent contractor.)

The second exception is "work for hire," which applies in four specific situations when the photos are to be used in the production of educational materials or programs.

I'm not a lawyer. A lawyer can give you specifics of the law and applicable interpretations by the courts.

Most magazines prefer to deal directly with the photographer for a variety of reasons, some practical and some legal.

Generally if you're working with a photographer who is experienced in submitting photos and dealing with publications and knows the normal procedures, the photographer is best equipped to handle the submission anyway.

Jul 29 12 11:53 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Pretty Deadly Stylz

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Camerosity: Amazing post.

The whole message is sincerely helpful for those beginning submitting. Thanks for posting it here!

Jul 29 12 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Sweet Light Studios wrote:
I must admit that I am new to doing magazine submissions. 
I would love to start getting some more tear sheets. 
Is there a resource, book, magazine article or just step by step instructions on how to do submissions somewhere. 
Or can someone just explane it to me?

Thanks in advance,
Robin

Try Photographer's Market, published by Writers Digest Books. It has a fraction of the magazine listings it had before WD bought the book, but there are some how-to articles at the beginning of the book.

Jul 29 12 08:07 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

BetseyLynneStyle

San Francisco, California, US

Another is Florum Fashion Magazine, its based out of California.

And available in both print and online.

www.florumfashion.com

www.issuu.com/florumfashionmagazine

XOXO

Oct 08 12 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Gabriel Spl

Sighetu Marmaţiei, Maramureş, Romania

You should check this online mag also:
http://nifmagazine.com

Oct 29 12 07:20 am Link

Oct 29 12 09:03 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Pretty Deadly Stylz

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'll have a few days off next week to go over any new links and update the files already available on the FB links.

I do try and update frequently, but it is quite a massive and time consuming job, just to check each link, and confirm if the magazine is still running, and any submission info found is still current.  SO please bare with me on that.

And to everyone still posting and making this thread thrive, my thanks to you all.  We all had to start somewhere, and hopefully this list does help those out there who need a little push.

Keep posting those new finds, and I'll be updating again soon!

Oct 30 12 08:29 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Cello Ong

http://o8magazine.wix.com/oppamag
accepting photography, fashion, art, travel, lifestyle, writing and illustration submission

Jan 22 13 04:01 am Link

Photographer

gudpix

Plano, Texas, US

Very useful info so far. Thank you all for sharing (especially to Camerosity)!

Couple of dumb questions.

1. If I want to submit an image to a magazine, it shouldn't be online any where?

2. Once I submit an image to a magazine, can I submit the same image to another magazine or just hold onto it till I hear back from first magazine?

Cheers!
PG

Feb 20 13 11:52 am Link