Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Is there an Ultimate Magazine Submission List ?

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

gudpix wrote:
Very useful info so far. Thank you all for sharing (especially to Camerosity)!

Couple of dumb questions.

1. If I want to submit an image to a magazine, it shouldn't be online any where?

2. Once I submit an image to a magazine, can I submit the same image to another magazine or just hold onto it till I hear back from first magazine?

Cheers!
PG

1. Some magazines make an exception for the photographer's business web site (the theory apparently being that most photographers' sites don't get much traffic). Others don't. Most magazines won't mind if the photos are in an area where access is controlled. (I keep some of my photos that are pending publication in password-protected folders on my portfolio page.) Of course this wouldn't apply if large numbers of people have access to the photos - like on a pay site.

As a publisher explained several years ago, he dislikes receiving letters, postcards, emails or phone calls from readers asking, "Why I am paying for a subscription to your magazine to see photos I've already seen somewhere else?" And he dislikes it even more if the message is scribbled on a renewal invoice that's returned without a check or credit card number.

2. I wouldn't simultaneously submit the same photos (or photos identifiable as being from the same shoot) to two magazines unless you don't want to work with them more than once.

It might be okay to submit different photos from the same shoot to different publications as long as they aren't in direct competition - to a travel magazine and a food magazine, for example. But most of the larger magazines (and those that pay for photos) likely wouldn't approve of this either.

Used to be, when prints or transparencies were submitted, the magazine would return them to the photographer. When the photographer got his photos back, he knew the magazine wasn't going to publish them, and he was free to submit them elsewhere.

If I haven't heard from a magazine in six months, I might submit the photos elsewhere. Depends on the circumstances.

That's why it's important to select the publication carefully before submitting. A few days of research could reduce the possibility of sending your photos to a magazine and having them tied up for six months but never published.

Feb 20 13 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

gudpix

Plano, Texas, US

Thank you!

Camerosity wrote:

1. Some magazines make an exception for the photographer's business web site (the theory apparently being that most photographers' sites don't get much traffic). Others don't. Most magazines won't mind if the photos are in an area where access is controlled. (I keep some of my photos that are pending publication in password-protected folders on my portfolio page.) Of course this wouldn't apply if large numbers of people have access to the photos - like on a pay site.

As a publisher explained several years ago, he dislikes receiving letters, postcards, emails or phone calls from readers asking, "Why I am paying for a subscription to your magazine to see photos I've already seen somewhere else?" And he dislikes it even more if the message is scribbled on a renewal invoice that's returned without a check or credit card number.

2. I wouldn't simultaneously submit the same photos (or photos identifiable as being from the same shoot) to two magazines unless you don't want to work with them more than once.

It might be okay to submit different photos from the same shoot to different publications as long as they aren't in direct competition - to a travel magazine and a food magazine, for example. But most of the larger magazines (and those that pay for photos) likely wouldn't approve of this either.

Used to be, when prints or transparencies were submitted, the magazine would return them to the photographer. When the photographer got his photos back, he knew the magazine wasn't going to publish them, and he was free to submit them elsewhere.

If I haven't heard from a magazine in six months, I might submit the photos elsewhere. Depends on the circumstances.

That's why it's important to select the publication carefully before submitting. A few days of research could reduce the possibility of sending your photos to a magazine and having them tied up for six months but never published.

Feb 20 13 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

Lynzi Judish

Prague, Prague, Czech Republic

Hey guys! My best friend and I have recently started our own submission based fashion magazine. If you're looking for a new place to submit your work check us out. I know the website isn't much yet, but it's a work in progress. The first issue will be releasing in September. smile

http://jutemagazine.weebly.com/submissions.html

Apr 18 13 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

FV Studios

Seattle, Washington, US

Elegant Magazine Is a NEW magazine being published starting july, it is both digital and print. Features Fashion,Beauty,Conceptual Art

They are accepting submissions

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elegant- … 7256595875

May 10 13 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Hex Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

if you have weird creative work you can submit to Freque Magazine

www.facebook.com/frequemagazine

May 18 13 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

DieselSeven

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Here is a site that lists all the fashion magazines that have submissions: http://picease.com. You are able to add magazines missing from the list here: http://picease.com/register/submitter

I hope this makes it easier for people to find the best magazines to submit too.

Jun 13 13 09:06 am Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Jun 13 13 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Gina Addison

Memphis, Tennessee, US

http://www.miabellamag.com/photographer-guidelines/

My magazine, MIABELLA. We were print, but we transitioned two months ago to strictly digital (bi-monthly) via iTunes, Google Play, Amazon, and online.  Please feel to submit sets that focus on teen girl fashion and is relevant and available (i.e. please don't submit a fashion story using F/W 2012 apparel).  I am really excited to work with innovate and fun photographers!

FYI, in my personal experience, print distributors and retailers (B&N in particular) are not people with a high level of integrity. Don't get involved with print distribution unless you have a wing in your building specifically set aside for legal.

Thank you!
Gina

Jun 24 13 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Kerri Jean Photography

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I never know what to say when I submit.  I'd like to think images speak for themselves, but they see what you say in the email before they even open the images.

Sep 17 13 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

bellamortephotography

Tustin, California, US

How do you submit images to the links provided?

Nov 05 13 12:04 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Los Angeles, California, US

bellamortephotography  wrote:
How do you submit images to the links provided?

Each publication has different requirements for submitting images.You just have to read them or shoot them an email if you have any questions.

Nov 05 13 12:21 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Nov 05 13 12:23 am Link

Makeup Artist

Bre Beauty Services

Corona, New York, US

I was just wondering what is the protocol for a makeup artist or hairstylist submitting to magazines? I have done some shoots and there are no release forms so when I am given the images could I submit of I let all parties know ahead of time?

Nov 21 13 11:56 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Bre Beauty Services wrote:
I was just wondering what is the protocol for a makeup artist or hairstylist submitting to magazines? I have done some shoots and there are no release forms so when I am given the images could I submit of I let all parties know ahead of time?

You should talk to the photographer about submitting or email the publication.But it's a lot easier if you do a shoot that was intended for a editorial rather than a shoot that wasn't. So in that way you and all parties involved can discuss a release agreement or the publication's release agreement.

Nov 22 13 08:30 am Link

Nov 22 13 11:54 am Link

Makeup Artist

Sain-City Productions

Brooklyn, New York, US

http://sain-city.com/magazine/

is accepting submissions. ( Fashion/art/poetry/ and more)

Jan 04 14 06:26 pm Link

Model

Ashley Cancienne

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Freque Magazine
Juxtapose Magazine
Uptown Magazine

Jan 19 14 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Melissa Harrison Photo

Brooklyn, New York, US

The Spoiler's Hand Magazine

Jan 26 14 02:33 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Jan 26 14 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

MadDame

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I also run a magazine that calls for submissiones (via guidelined themes)

www.damedmagazine.com

x

Apr 14 14 05:45 am Link

Model

Legend Watters

Dallas, Texas, US

Hello all!
Just wondering if you have any that are catered towards male models. I am having a great degree of difficulty finding some to submit to. I'd greatly appreciate any links!

Thanks a lot!

Apr 14 14 06:06 am Link

Model

Legend Watters

Dallas, Texas, US

PG

Extremely helpful!

Apr 14 14 06:15 am Link

Photographer

Phil J Hawkins

Savannah, Georgia, US

Love this thread, keep it coming!

May 13 14 05:26 pm Link

Model

NothingnesssEver

New York, New York, US

Wow this is so great! Thank you!

Phan

May 13 14 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

ShutterProof Photograph

Hamilton, Ohio, US

www.facebook.com/alchemistmag
http://thealchemistmagazine.com/

Accepts submissions for both male and female editorials
Currently taking submissions for the COLOR issue through May 30th

May 16 14 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

www.theviewmag.com (not sure if it was already mentioned wink )

May 17 14 02:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Maya Angela

Chicago, Illinois, US

Bump... Soo helpful

Jun 01 14 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Billy Pegram

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I own Swimsuit Illustrated Magazine and we are always looking for contributing models, stylists, make-up artist, fashion designers or photographers. I have owned the mag for about a year and trying to change it to a lifestyle magazine based on Swimwear and Beachwear.  Please send any work for consideration to [email protected]

Billy

Jun 01 14 09:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shirley Compaore

Dallas, Texas, US

Thanks For posting this thread, there is valuable information to guide you in the right direction!

Jun 08 14 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Dimitri Fevrier

Theres a new magazine being released September 1, 2014. They are looking for photographers to submit to them. Heres there facebook and email.

[email protected]
https://www.facebook.com/THENEWERAMAGAZINE

Jul 20 14 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

_CSPhotography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

*Revival of thread ?*

Jul 29 14 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Sabina Miklowitz

Brooklyn, New York, US

Hey everyone!  I found a lot of useful stuff on here, but given that this thread is a few years old, there were a lot of broken links and publications that no longer exist and so forth.  So I made a new one!  Please reply to my thread if there are any that I missed!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=930747

Aug 17 14 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Rojas

New York, New York, US

My partner and I just released an iOS application that includes 80+ publications that accept submissions...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fashion … 27321?mt=8

Aug 18 14 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Adrian T McDonald

New York, New York, US

You can also submit to www.dujourmag.com They are currently going through a rebranding process which opens up the opportunity for a host of new photographers.

Sep 21 14 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Bren White

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

New fashion + culture magazine Koko Mag set to launch early March!

Check it out here www.facebook.com/kokoculture - and get your submissions in quick, issue one is filling up !

Jan 22 15 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Verena Mandragora

Vienna, Wien, Austria

new magazine is accepting submissions for the first issue.

http://submit.fashioninmotion.at/

join us and be part of fashion in motion mag!

Sep 30 15 04:41 am Link

Photographer

Sophie Cecile Xu

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Hi everyone!

I know this thread is a bit old but still useful as a resource for photographers and other creatives.
I run www.stardust-mag.com and we are looking for submissions for both online and print. Check out the mag and read our submission guidelines.

Best,
Sophie

Mar 27 16 07:29 pm Link

Mar 29 16 09:48 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Here is a new magazine I found:
http://www.xioxmagazine.com/

Apr 24 16 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Omar Abdelmoaty