Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > MM Rock Climbers!

Photographer

LightBrushedImages

Columbia, Maryland, US

I already know a couple dozen, so I know there's many more.  Models, Photogs, Designers, Bodypainters... anyone on MM who climbs -- Come forth!

Please give an overview of your experience and skill level.  Especially discuss and rock climbing photoshoots you've done or would like to do.  Perhaps you don't do technical climbing, but you've shot with heights or airel silks.  Or perhaps you want to know how to start.

Also feel free to post climbing pictures you've taken or modeled for.

Me:  I've been climbing on/off 15 years.
I prefer multi-pitch climbs (Gunks, Seneca Rocks, Southwest, anywhere on the west coast.)
Levels: Toprope/follow 5.10b, Lead 5.7, Sport 5.9

I've done several climbing shoots: Yosemite, Arizona, local outings in Maryland.

The hope of this thread is to unite creatives to make images using our unique skills.

Climb safe.  Climb on!

Sep 03 12 06:23 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

I am not sure? Huh? Should this and your other post be elsewhere?

Like a Casting Call?

Sep 03 12 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Used to quite a bit - both rock and mountaineering. -Tetons, Gannet Peak, Mt. Hood, Pangora in the Cirque of Towers, Wyoming, etc.

Have sold a few climbing wall photos as stock.

Sep 03 12 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Chroma Flux

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Climbing for 11 years. Have bouldered V10 but now like V8ish till I do some more pullups. 5.13 sport. Good times.

Sep 03 12 09:02 am Link

Photographer

LightBrushedImages

Columbia, Maryland, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
Should this and your other post be elsewhere?

No, your concern is misplaced.  I am inviting climbers on MM to meet & discuss here - if I or any others end up connecting for a shoot, all the better!

Sep 03 12 11:06 am Link

Photographer

LightBrushedImages

Columbia, Maryland, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
Used to quite a bit - both rock and mountaineering. -Tetons, Gannet Peak, Mt. Hood, Pangora in the Cirque of Towers, Wyoming, etc.  Have sold a few climbing wall photos as stock.

Awesome, Dave, that is some solid mountaineering!  Do you have any of that work online?

Devil's Tower would be a prime spot for a model climbing shoot.

Wes Powell wrote:
Climbing for 11 years. Have bouldered V10 but now like V8ish till I do some more pullups. 5.13 sport. Good times.

Haha, I'll do V8's after about 20,000 pull-ups...  Good times indeed.

Sep 03 12 12:11 pm Link

Model

Sylvia_W

Paia, Hawaii, US

Climbing model in Hawaii smile

Sep 03 12 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jacob delaRosa

Birmingham, Alabama, US

There's a local Boldering community here in Birmingham, AL. I go out to the rocks sometimes to shoot them for kicks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jnd_photog … 322021278/

Sep 03 12 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Tony-S

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I did emergency first aid on a climber that fell about 1200 feet down the Diamond (Long's Peak). Needless to say, not only did he die but his organs could not be used for transplantation.

Sep 03 12 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jacob delaRosa

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Oh that reminds me, does anyone remember a guy named Dan Osman? He was CRAZY good...well, maybe a little more crazy than good but you get the picture. Here's a video of him climbing a 400ft. rock face without support in 4:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy3SuhEQHVg

Sep 03 12 01:05 pm Link

Model

Danielle Arizona

Tempe, Arizona, US

My other job is as a rock climbing instructor! I love climbing smile

I climb about a 5.10a/b smile

How cool!

Sep 03 12 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

Jacob delaRosa wrote:
Oh that reminds me, does anyone remember a guy named Dan Osman? He was CRAZY good...well, maybe a little more crazy than good but you get the picture. Here's a video of him climbing a 400ft. rock face without support in 4:30

I've seen that..  Unfortunately wasn't that the sort of climbing that makes you now refer to him as "was" and "CRAZY" in the same sentence? ..

Sep 03 12 01:57 pm Link

Model

LittleMissVivacious

Redding, California, US

I love climbing; I have some experience, but not any major amount. Just little 30-40' rock faces/cliffs at a local waterfall.

I would love to do more, despite the talk here already of how dangerous it can be, haha. smile

Sep 03 12 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Boudoir Studio

Santa Clarita, California, US

I've seen that..  Unfortunately wasn't that the sort of climbing that makes you now refer to him as "was" and "CRAZY" in the same sentence? ..

He was a practitioner of "Rope Jumping" from very high places.  He jumped one too many times.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY6YsM5Rh0Y

Sep 03 12 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

My on rope experience comes from caving, not rock climbing.  I'm a technical climber in the sense I'm always depending on my system to keep me alive. I love the rope work. 

Most of the the my cave photography had my feet firmly on the ground. But there was a nice project I worked on for a few years.  I was photographing/documenting the the inside of Texas' largest sinkhole, The Devil's Sinkhole.

300' from ground to the bottom most room of the cave.  The rappel was approximately 150' to the top of a breakdown mound in the center of the sinkhole.

There was a shaft that went down about 100' I guess and was 80' in diameter.  I'd hang on rope from 3 different sides of the shaft shooting 360 degrees angles.  The then into the sinkhole itself for recording every angle I could from 3 different positions.  The sides mushroomed out from the shaft hundreds of feet in every direction.

I used custom designed, battery powered, power packs, made by a caver for the cave environment to power Steedotron Blackline strobes in the sinkhole. 
I could light hundred of feet at a time with one head at 1200w/s.  In the shat area I used a 400 w/s Lumedyne system. In the small tight rooms, I used several cheap Vivitar 283 strobes slaved to FireFly IR Slaves. They too, are made by cavers for the harsh cave environment.  Standard slaves are normally not sensitive or consistent enough to work in the dark recesses of a cave.

The images are being composed on a 3D LiDar digital scan of the cave. It has amazing detail and when the photos are "skinned" over it, there will be a somewhat interactive 3D view of the cave for people to view.

There  has been a ton of post production to get images that overlap to match color/contrast and saturation wise. The images were shot sometimes a year a part under different lighting conditions.  The digital overlay is being done by one VERY SMART guy in Dallas smile Most of the software he's used, he's had to write the code for or modify some existing programs.

From a technical side, I used static PMI 11mil and a frog system for all my technical rope work. 

Caving harnesses and climbing systems differ a bit from standard climbing. For one thing, our center of gravity is lower. I prefer using a D mallion to connect crolls and basics. 

Pretty much all our rope work is technical there is very little climbing as a rock climber would do.   For features like sinkholes, there are usually no hand or foot holds.   Also, the walls in many caves have formations on them and they are way too fragile to climb or or use for any sort of life support.

I shot with an assistant to help me wrangle the gear and keep me pointed in the right direction, so wouldn't rotate too much on the free hanging rope.  Caves are wet nasty environments and keeping the gear clean and dry was always a concern.

Sep 03 12 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

Snyder Studios wrote:

He was a practitioner of "Rope Jumping" from very high places.  He jumped one too many times.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY6YsM5Rh0Y

Wow...
I knew he'd died but didn't know the details..   Sad. 

LittleMissVivacious wrote:
I love climbing; I have some experience, but not any major amount. Just little 30-40' rock faces/cliffs at a local waterfall.

I would love to do more, despite the talk here already of how dangerous it can be, haha. smile

Most of the people I've know who've died while climbing have done so when they've over calculated their skills or under calculated the facts of their system.   It can be a  dangerous sport but if you take your time, pay attention to your equipment, follow the rules and stay humble.. you'll live a lot longer..

Just my opinion...

Sep 03 12 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

LightBrushedImages

Columbia, Maryland, US

Jacob delaRosa wrote:
Oh that reminds me, does anyone remember a guy named Dan Osman?

I remember a helmet he owned was on eBay in the late 90's - almost bought it but decided not.   Interesting that much free-soloing "died out" in the 90's but a new generation has recently arisen.  (How long before the cycle repeats?)

I've climbed with a 60+year-old who has outlived his Yosemite peers - He is indeed a very careful climber.

Sep 03 12 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

Wideviews

Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi

Interesting thread, my camera club just started again for the year and I was showing some slides ( taken in 2004) of a climb of the Old Man of Hoy (Orkney Islands, UK).  It's a 400foot plus sea stack, about 5.10 in American terms, E1 in Uk grading. 

I've never done a model shoot assocaited with climbing buit it would be fun.

Sep 03 12 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

I quit climbing about thirty years ago. Never was hardcore about it.

Snow-climbing mainly on Mt. Shasta in northern California. The climbing was more strenuous than technical.

Rock-climbing, mainly top-roping (but some freeclimbing), around Patrick's Point on the California redwood coast.

Sep 03 12 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Campbell

Pottstown, Pennsylvania, US

Jacob delaRosa wrote:

Knew him well, good guy and fantastic climber.  I've been climbing for way too long now, more ice than rock anymore but did my share of peak bagging too.  Sold a ton of  shots for calenders and books.  Haven't climbed much in the past three years, just no time to train.

Sep 03 12 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Campbell

Pottstown, Pennsylvania, US

By the way, Senneca is a fantastic place.  You should try a little further north in New York and hit the High Peaks for some good climbing.  Keene Valley is a real fine spot to start with in the Adarondacks.

Sep 03 12 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Why are you mass messaging people about this thread?

Are you worried that people won't see your post?
Stop it.

Sep 03 12 07:28 pm Link

Model

Little Queenie

Indio, California, US

When i was younger I did a lot of climbing as my dad was an avid climber. I can't do faces anymore and haven't gotten in a harness is about 7 years. I get bad vertigo and just freeze.

This last year I started bouldering again. Spent a good part of last spring running around J Tree like a mountain goat. I'm hoping that I can get back into climbing soon.

I spent a lot of my childhood in Joshua Tree. If anyone is out here and wants a tour guide or some company, I'm more than happy to join if I'm free. smile

Sep 03 12 10:58 pm Link

Model

Little Queenie

Indio, California, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
Why are you mass messaging people about this thread?

Are you worried that people won't see your post?
Stop it.

He's just trying to direct people who have expressed some sort of interest in this subject to his thread. Yeah, it's not a common practice but you know the proper way to handle it of it bothers you.

Sep 03 12 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

LightBrushedImages

Columbia, Maryland, US

Sylvia_W wrote:
Climbing model in Hawaii smile

You're still my #1 to shoot with when I come to the islands someday!  Does Oahu have the more picturesque climbing vistas for a shoot?  Mokuleia Wall looks like it has potential?

Danielle Mae Jake wrote:
My other job is as a rock climbing instructor! I love climbing smile
I climb about a 5.10a/b smile
How cool!

Hello Danielle!  I've shot around Phoeniz at South Mountain, Isolation Canyon, Sully's Canyon, Lower Devil's Canyon and "The Pond" area in Superior.  Would be great to have you join on a future shoot outing.

Sep 03 12 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

bvs

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I have been ice, rock and mountain climbing since 1972 ( back in the day when we had to make our own climbing shoes out of old high heel shoes with the heel broken off and inner tube rubber) . I haven't done any serious rock climbing in the last few years just because since I moved I don't have a proper partner to do so with. Until that point I was flashing 5/12b trad lead and bolted routes. Today you will still find me at least once a week sitting on top of a mountain top gazing out over the world relaxing ( but just small ones 5000ft or less).
The biggest mountain I have climbed was Citlaltepetl at 18,532ft others would include Half dome, El cap, the chief, Mt Stephen and many more.
I am also a high rigger in the entertainment industry setting up lighting and sound systems for concerts plays and movies which gives me a great knowledge of lighting for photography.
Photography however is my main passion, started back in 1967 and have been doing it professionally since 1981 and is still how I make my living today.
I would love to get some fitness models up in the mountains where I live today but most of them don't have the energy or stamina to hike in 15k do a 2 hour shoot then hike back out again and if you know any send them my way.

Sep 04 12 09:45 am Link

Model

Someone8750

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

Hi all,

I'm getting back into climbing after not having done it much in the last 5 years. (My bouldering picture is from college.) I'm about a 5.9+/5.10 sport lead, 5.11d TR. Have done trad a few times.

My friends and I got poison ivy yesterday at the (spectacularly beautiful) Piedra River Lower West area! Dammit.

Thanks for starting the thread. If anyone lives in the Sangre de Cristo/San Juan Mountains area, hit me up!

Sep 04 12 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

svenler

San Diego, California, US

I used to climb but stopped some years ago when the significant other got too scared, since I never did anything but free-climbing.

Sep 04 12 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

The Real McGoy wrote:
Hi all,

I'm getting back into climbing after not having done it much in the last 5 years. (My bouldering picture is from college.) I'm about a 5.9+/5.10 sport lead, 5.11d TR. Have done trad a few times.

My friends and I got poison ivy yesterday at the (spectacularly beautiful) Piedra River Lower West area! Dammit.

Thanks for starting the thread. If anyone lives in the Sangre de Cristo/San Juan Mountains area, hit me up!

Curious... Do you ever catch any grief from Native American tribes or individuals for climbing in certain locations?

Sep 04 12 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Creative Exposure wrote:
I have been ice, rock and mountain climbing since 1972 ( back in the day when we had to make our own climbing shoes out of old high heel shoes with the heel broken off and inner tube rubber) . I haven't done any serious rock climbing in the last few years just because since I moved I don't have a proper partner to do so with. Until that point I was flashing 5/12b trad lead and bolted routes. Today you will still find me at least once a week sitting on top of a mountain top gazing out over the world relaxing ( but just small ones 5000ft or less).
The biggest mountain I have climbed was Citlaltepetl at 18,532ft others would include Half dome, El cap, the chief, Mt Stephen and many more.
I am also a high rigger in the entertainment industry setting up lighting and sound systems for concerts plays and movies which gives me a great knowledge of lighting for photography.
Photography however is my main passion, started back in 1967 and have been doing it professionally since 1981 and is still how I make my living today.
I would love to get some fitness models up in the mountains where I live today but most of them don't have the energy or stamina to hike in 15k do a 2 hour shoot then hike back out again and if you know any send them my way.

That's a pretty damned awesome resume.

Sep 04 12 08:44 pm Link

Model

Andrea Rosu

San Francisco, California, US

I was first introduced to climbing when I was 12, but unfortunately, didn't pursue it.

I've started climbing again when I moved to CA. I've gotten up to 5.10D on top rope.

Unfortunately, I haven't kept up with it. And the reason why makes me chuckle! It fucks up my nails!! Since I'm hired often for glamour shoots, my nails need to not look like hell!! big_smile I'll pick it up again when I slow down w/ modeling.

Sep 04 12 08:50 pm Link

Model

Sarah M T

Lakeville, Minnesota, US

What an amazing thread!!  I'm so excited to read about everyone's climbing love and experience, and I can't wait to check out your pictures!!  I've been climbing for a little over 6 years, and teach kids classes, coach kids climbing teams, and teach adult belay technique and sport lead classes.  I don't do a lot of bouldering, but I can work through mid-5.10 top rope routes, sport lead 5.8/5.9, love indoor and outdoor climbing!!  First outdoor climb was Devil's Tower...6 pitches will force any fear out of you, haha!!  I love a lot of Minnesota locations...North Shore of Lake Superior is my favorite (set up top ropes, rappel down the cliff over the lake to climb back up...gorgeous), Taylor's Falls (similar set up as North Shore) an Barn Bluff in Red Wing (bolted sport lead).  I'd love to climb/shoot with any of you any time...and feel free to contact me if you're ever in MN!!  Safe climbing everyone!!

Sep 08 12 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Wildcat Photography

Valparaiso, Indiana, US

I have a fear of heights...I try to stay away from the edge.

Kudos to you all that can do it.

Wildcat

Sep 08 12 12:41 pm Link

Model

Marta Schwarz

Orlando, Florida, US

I live in Florida so there aren't really any rocks to climb haha but I have climbed at indoor rock climbing gyms for about 5 years now and my level is 5.11 close to a 5.12 but I don't know how I would do on a real rock but I have bouldered on real rocks a few times when I visited family up north smile

Sep 08 12 09:39 pm Link

Model

JoLeo

Denver, Colorado, US

Hi Everyone!

I've been climbing on/off for 3 years. At most I've sport led a 5.10b and have climbed up to an 11, but am probably a bit out of practice.

I'm located in Denver, Co - a climbing paradise and would love to shoot rock or ice climbing sometime. Hit me up!

Sep 11 12 11:32 am Link

Photographer

OkiPhoto

Surabaya, Jawa Timur, Indonesia

First, thanks for the message, I would never have found this thread without you PMing me. Appreciate it.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CYt6noeigW4/UCy2Sm-ptmI/AAAAAAAAA0I/ZBw9DzfMxlE/s1600/classern.jpg
My wife hanging around.

I've been climbing for 25+ years now. It's been both a passion an a profession over the years, sort of like photography.

The grades I've climbed aren't important, never been my focus. Actually, I tend to prefer long moderate routes over short hard routes. Trad climbing and big walls are my favorite.

I learned to climb in Yosemite and Lake Tahoe, but I've been very fortunate to live all over the place. Yosemite will always have a special place in my hearth.

https://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/6/488256-largest_aid.jpg

In the 90's I owned and operated a guide service in the South East. All started with a contract teaching Army special forces big wall climbing technicians.

This was also the time I started to put on slide shows and selling shirt articles with photos.

In 2000, I sold my business and moved to Japan. Taught English for a couple of years, put up lots of new routes in Okinawa, and became a full-time Middle School Math teachers in American Consulate Schools overseas.

https://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/6/465296-largest_06-Stock__79_.jpg

After Japan, I spent a couple years living, teaching, and climbing in Southern China. Found some excellent limestone towers and developed a couple hundred new routes from single pitch to 8 pitches. Great rock, spectacular locations, and wonderful people.

Although I love China, I decided it was time to move on, so I've been living in Indonesia for the past few years. I live in East Java, I've quit teaching in International schools and now own a climbing gym. My wife, who is my climbing partner also, and I have been developing routes here. Some nice single pitch routes, but our latest route will be roughly 18 pitches. Hard to tell sense it's aground up endeavor.

https://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/1/488291-largest_CIMG2804.jpg

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-heUbjgAh9M8/Td8PjIeyeVI/AAAAAAAAAok/bV6TN4SNb1Y/s1600/Climb+%2528306%2529.jpg

I have more photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12110814@N … 167285781/

More here too, just search rock climbing:
[lurl]http://www.alamy.com/stock-photography/986B76D1-0A3F-4BA8-8E5F-AB1F6351A2E5/Emmanuel+Lacoste.html[/url]

My Gym Website is here:
www.indoclimb.com

Oct 05 12 05:05 am Link

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Columbia, Maryland, US

Been climbing since 1990.  I used to be a Outward Bound Climbing Instructor as well.
In fact, I am guessing that you go to a gym in Columbia. The owner used to be an OB climbing instructor as well.  I don't climb much these days though.... other adventures to be sought out.

Oct 05 12 05:18 am Link

Photographer

OkiPhoto

Surabaya, Jawa Timur, Indonesia

Since 1990, I wonder if we've ever met. The climbing world is so small.

Oct 12 12 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Rakesh Malik

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

I love climbing, but I'm pretty inexperienced at technical climbing. I've summited a couple of mountains, but neither ascent was technical... Both were, however, spectacular - Kilimanjaro and Rainier. smile

Oct 17 12 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Visual Serotonin

Los Angeles, California, US

Awesome thread.

I am a 5.10+ but I need to get back to it smile Give me a reason!

Oct 17 12 01:46 pm Link