Forums > Critique > What your port says about you.

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

I look at your port and analyze it and tell you what your port says about you as an artist and as a person.  I have not done this in a long time, so I thought I would do it again. But I must warn you, I see a lot.  So this is not for the faint of heart.

Apr 04 17 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

HOTTIE SHOTS wrote:
I look at your port and analyze it and tell you what your port says about you as an artist and as a person.  I have not done this in a long time, so I thought I would do it again. But I must warn you, I see a lot.  So this is not for the faint of heart.

Sure!

Apr 04 17 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Go ahead.  I'm curious to know.

Apr 04 17 11:50 pm Link

Model

Julie Ann NYC

New York, New York, US

Okay

Apr 05 17 04:56 am Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Yajhil Alvarez wrote:

Sure!

Your port screams Professional. While most MM photographers choose a style, or explore their artistic whims, yours announces to the viewer that you are a professional portrait photographer capable of producing any and all styles needed to advance the subjects career or ego.  They tell you what they want and you comply, and reward their trust in you with images that present what they want or need with more than a little touch of class.

People don’t recognize what you can do in spaces that others would ignore.  You can take any place and use it to produce what they need.  You are very proud of that and seek to fulfill your artistic needs by designing each subject in at least one unique setting.

While you look at classic fashion photography of the past, and love the 1980’s, you know that your Professionalism is sought out because the ones that hire you are not aiming at a larger public, they say “present me” to those that need to see their form and substance.  Because that is what you are doing getting past form and giving the viewer an idea of who this person is.  And that is what makes you tick, knowing that only a consummate professional can do what you do and knowing the people viewing your work will see that too.

Apr 05 17 05:56 am Link

Photographer

PhotoKromze

Lisbon, Lisboa e Vale do Tejo, Portugal

Go right ahead...

Apr 05 17 06:30 am Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
Go ahead.  I'm curious to know.

You want to make a statement, a vivid and powerful artistic statement.  You have been searching for your voice for years and have checked off various styles trying to make that statement.  You actually go to museums and look for inspiration.  With artistic nudes, you see more of what you are trying to create, although the closest thing to what you want to do is always presented in sepia tones, those display your vision.

You have produced some outstanding images, images you are proud to have created, but you still are not satisfied.  You love the female form and like photographing beautiful women naked, but you mainly went into this latest style because you felt people would actually view your artistry.  You would be happy with many of your images even if the model were not in them, the light and shadows and settings speak to you.  But, again, you think no one will look without the model in the shot.  You are the type that goes around with his camera actually shooting these settings and location before you bring a model to them, and you honestly are just as happy with the shoot when you are alone, if not the results. 

You are not finished changing.  Like most artists, you are never really satisfied with what you are doing now, and you will soon change again.  And there is a significant chance that your next set of statements will not feature models.

Apr 05 17 06:31 am Link

Model

Nasreeny

Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh

Ok I want to see

Apr 05 17 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Ok!

Apr 05 17 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Nostromo Images

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I would love to hear your opinion!

Apr 05 17 06:57 am Link

Photographer

Python Photos

Rawlins, Wyoming, US

Okay, thank you

Apr 05 17 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Sanville Photo

Louisville, Colorado, US

Sure, why not.

Apr 05 17 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Johnny Juarez

La Habra, California, US

I'm game, don't hold back haha

Apr 05 17 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

TDSImages

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Tell me please...

Apr 05 17 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

phantom of the light

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Please tell me.

Apr 05 17 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

I'd appreciate your opinion. smile

Apr 06 17 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I would love to know your thoughts.

Apr 06 17 02:02 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Might be fun--or even interesting!  Have at it!

Apr 06 17 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

HOTTIE SHOTS wrote:

Your port screams Professional. While most MM photographers choose a style, or explore their artistic whims, yours announces to the viewer that you are a professional portrait photographer capable of producing any and all styles needed to advance the subjects career or ego.  They tell you what they want and you comply, and reward their trust in you with images that present what they want or need with more than a little touch of class.

People don’t recognize what you can do in spaces that others would ignore.  You can take any place and use it to produce what they need.  You are very proud of that and seek to fulfill your artistic needs by designing each subject in at least one unique setting.

While you look at classic fashion photography of the past, and love the 1980’s, you know that your Professionalism is sought out because the ones that hire you are not aiming at a larger public, they say “present me” to those that need to see their form and substance.  Because that is what you are doing getting past form and giving the viewer an idea of who this person is.  And that is what makes you tick, knowing that only a consummate professional can do what you do and knowing the people viewing your work will see that too.

That's the nicest and most thought out thing anyone has ever said about my work.  Thank you for taking the time.  I seriously appreciate it.  I really needed this boost today.  Hope all is well with you!

Apr 06 17 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

HOTTIE SHOTS wrote:
You have produced some outstanding images, images you are proud to have created, but you still are not satisfied.

Very insightful, and very true.  Thank you for the kind words.

Apr 07 17 02:27 am Link

Photographer

alantan-fotography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

yep, am interested, do not know which side of the fence I sit on > male or female.

Apr 07 17 03:05 am Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Julie Ann NYC wrote:
Okay

Most women feel they are defined by things they can either not control or barely affect……their height and weight. Models especially feel this compartmentalization on those factors.  You however do not feel defined by your tall curvy form, you feel refined by it.  And it is not just the sometimes hollow words some utter that they wish they would be accepted for who they are, you expect and demand to be accepted and respected for being yourself.  While you know you are fortunate to been blessed with a beautiful face, you also feel you would be the same person if you were homely. 

This view has not come easily.  When you started gathering curves you fought it and dieted and stressed.  But now you ignore photographers who want to photoshop you into a size 2, they have their special place in your view of regressive photographic hell.  You decline.  Because while some think you just finally accepted yourself, you know you realized that you are celebrating the change.

So now your port is a tribute to you are you were, as you are, and since you are not ever going to stop modeling, as you will be.

Apr 07 17 11:45 am Link

Model

Pauline Yee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Yes please. If you don't mind... smile

Apr 07 17 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

erics_Toronto_GTA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yes, please.

Thanks in advance:)
😍

Apr 07 17 09:24 pm Link

Model

Aneet Padda

San Francisco, California, US

Go ahead.

Apr 09 17 04:54 am Link

Photographer

Massi

Los Angeles, California, US

Sure, why not?  Sounds like fun...

Apr 10 17 10:55 am Link

Model

Crystal DSR17

Burleson, Texas, US

"Do your worst!!" "I surrender!"
-famous movie quotes

Apr 10 17 05:51 pm Link

Retoucher

Hemali Kapilaratne

Kandy, Kandy, Sri Lanka

Yes please!

Apr 10 17 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

samueluribephoto

Miami, Florida, US

Ooh this is really interesting. I'll participate

Apr 11 17 07:17 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I would love to know your opinion. smile

Apr 12 17 06:11 am Link

Model

Elena Antonia Pappas

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Go for it smile

Apr 13 17 11:02 am Link

Photographer

mm 12

Huntington Beach, California, US

I'm up for some feedback

Apr 13 17 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Harlequins Mask

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

I'd certainly appreciate you giving my work the once over. Some folks call it old fashioned, but I'm curious to know what it says about me.

Cheers!

Apr 14 17 03:35 am Link

Model

Magda Kulpinska

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Yeah, why not!smile

Apr 14 17 10:00 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Sure. I haven't asked for a critique in a long time.

Apr 14 17 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

have fun wink...enjoy!

Herman
amsterdam • london • münchen • paris • new york

Apr 15 17 05:00 am Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
Ok!

You have mastered your style and you know your mind.  You revel in your photography, but that is one of the few means of communicating that you do like.  Your port speaks to someone who is personally very shy and somewhat withdrawn.  You don’t like groups and crowds. You never try to analyze or get into a person’s mind, to you that is just a waste of time. You want their form and they are needed for your shots, but you never really bond or get close to your subjects.  And that inability to get close has crashed over into your love life on so many occasions creating an ambivalence about sex that is demonstrated in your asexual lighting, framing and posing of models in your nude work.  Not glamour and not really artistic “nudes”, your shots show the models form as an energetic outburst of their own interaction with you.  Your models poses are not saying, “pay attention to me” to the viewer of the image……… they are saying that to you.

Apr 15 17 08:37 am Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Nostromo Images wrote:
I would love to hear your opinion!

You mastered your art with the camera.  Then you got bored.  You were at the top of your game so why not work with the best.  Joining MM was an act of liberation for your art. You wanted to work with professional models who would produce the results you needed to feed your soul.  No more talking and cajoling and begging models to do what you want.  Pay and focus on your result.  It has worked.  You don’t like to be tied to a concept or place.  While many of us shoot basically the same shots over and over with different models, you won’t have that.  You look at each professional model with reverence, she deserves a unique approach in your view and you intend to give that to her…….but it is not for her you think of new concepts and ideas for each shoot……….. it is for you.

Apr 15 17 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Ken Sanville Photo wrote:
Sure, why not.

Longing. Searching. That is your theme. That is your life.  You choose the images, you love the images where the model is looking to you for answers. Answers that you wish you had to give.  But all of your art reflects your life………which is  a constant search for ……you are not sure what you are searching for. It could be happiness.  It could be contentment.  It could just be that sense of peace that has always eluded you.  But when you shoot you feel you might be on the right path.  But the models still look to you for answers. They beg you for answers. And you wish you knew what to tell them, because you really have no answers for your own life.  Your one hope is that soon when you set up that concept and take that shot and edit the work, that you will see what you are searching for.  Because you don’t know what that is….. and that drives your art.  It inspires your art. And that is not a bad thing.

Apr 15 17 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Please note that I am skipping around.  Some of you are so new to this that your work can not say much.  And some I have to come back to a few times to understand. I really tell you what I see and sometimes it takes a while to see clearly.

Apr 15 17 07:32 pm Link