Forums > Critique > What your port says about you.

Photographer

Ronnie Savoie

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

This looks like fun....I'm in....hope I'm not too late. Thx.

Sep 23 18 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Jorge Kreimer wrote:

This is interesting, though partially wrong. However, I know exactly what you mean by "asexual" in regards to the point of view. I would call it a "detached perspective".

Not glamour and not really artistic “nudes”, your shots show the models form as an energetic outburst of their own interaction with you
This is quite accurate, and you have explained what I've been trying to put into words for a while. I would like to steal some of this, if you don't mind smile

Your models poses are not saying, “pay attention to me” to the viewer of the image……… they are saying that to you.

I've never looked at it this way. That's a  very interesting point of view. Thank you for that.

Everything else in  your post is wrong; I am fortunate to say, and my wife agrees.

All the best, and thanks again,

Jorge

I was shocked I missed you. The detachment I took as disinterest in the subject matter when it is obviously that you are in a very close, monogamous and happy relationship.  I missed it because so very few photographers, and people in general, have that.  You are a very lucky man and it shows.

Sep 23 18 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Francisco Castro wrote:
I hope my port says, "He is on his way to becomming the world's greatest photographer.", but I'll settle for, "He doesn't seem like a GWC who preys on women with low self esteem.".

I have done threads like this for many years.  I think the first one ran 75 pages.  But you are the first who seemed worried and hoped that what I saw was not ……….what you fear you are at times.  That is the paradox in what we all do because the vast majority of women who model suffer from low self esteem. It is the nature of the beast, not good or bad, it just is.  And if you are preying on them, well all women should be so lucky to have a man who respects women as much as you do be the one who preys upon them.

There is not an image in your port that shows anything but total respect for the subject.  You are heterosexual and like naked women, but nudes really are not what you like to shoot.  They bore you. 

But I digress...…..  You live your artistic life in your personal fantasies.  You long to travel, to explore and to find some things in this world others have not.  But you don't.  So your images are about your longing for adventure.  And while you don't realize it, I have to tell you bluntly that  the models in your images are representations of YOU.  When you pose a model and suggest a concept, they are just there to facilitate your longing for the life they live while in your lens.  It is a good life, full of hope and dreams and adventure.  A life you dream of but have not tried to live.  Your port says to me that you need to live the life that you send your models into through your images.

Sep 23 18 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Cypress, California, US

I'll spin the wheel, let's see where it lands.

Sep 24 18 01:41 pm Link

Model

AnnAdB

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Let me know, i’m curious!

Sep 25 18 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

This seems sort of like having your palm read. I've never had that before so I'm game. Count me in.

Sep 26 18 06:41 am Link

Photographer

7th Level Photography

Charlotte Hall, Maryland, US

Lets hear it.  Very curious.

Oct 04 18 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Saxegaard Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

HOTTIE SHOTS wrote:
I look at your port and analyze it and tell you what your port says about you as an artist and as a person.  I have not done this in a long time, so I thought I would do it again. But I must warn you, I see a lot.  So this is not for the faint of heart.

I would very much like to be a part of this feedback round if possible. Thank you very much for taking your time to do a post like this!

Oct 04 18 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

HFMusicMedia

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Go for it.  I'm new and am interested.

Oct 07 18 11:33 am Link

Model

Nachtzehren

Durham, England, United Kingdom

I am curious.

Oct 08 18 05:41 am Link

Photographer

juliarabkin

Rochester, New York, US

Please visit my website as my portfolio on here is not current: www.juliarabkin.com

Oct 13 18 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

0ptical_anomaly

Roseburg, Oregon, US

Always open to an honest critique

Oct 30 18 11:57 am Link

Photographer

BCS Editorials

Goshen, New York, US

Please feel free to tell me I would love the input.

Thanks

Nov 15 18 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Saxegaard Photography wrote:

I would very much like to be a part of this feedback round if possible. Thank you very much for taking your time to do a post like this!

You really wanted to be in a rock band and get girls. But you didn't have that talent. Then you found you could hang with the hot girls if you photographed them. It was your key to the kingdom of babes.  And then you realized that if you photographed them in a very sensual and unique way that you could get even more hot babes to pay attention to you.  And then...…..You started looking at the image you created and you loved what you had made.  You started choosing models not by how fun they might be to hang out with and shoot, but by what they could bring to the shoot to make your portfolio better.  And you started turning down the party-girl models in favor of the serious artists.  Because you became the artist that you never ever knew lived in you.  Now your work speaks to the models and the audience that loves the soft, sensual beauty that is a confident and vibrant woman. You have become who you were meant to be.  I am in awe of the serious and focused vision you now display in you work. You have become what we all hope to be.

Jan 21 20 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Znude! wrote:
This seems sort of like having your palm read. I've never had that before so I'm game. Count me in.

Ok. I get it. When you have been shooting a long time you decide that you just want to do nudes. There are a lot of reasons. You love a beautiful woman's form. You are seriously heterosexual.  You like the shoot, the process and even the editing.  But you joined this site of mainly armatures and wannabees ….....just to show off.  You know you are better than most photographers on here on your bad days.  So they do a nude like this...….well you see it and do it better.  They do an implied like that...…..well you double down and put them to shame.  All while you are having to choose between hundreds of images that are better than ours, to pick the one to post on this site.  Yes you are arrogant in your work, but it is a deserved arrogance.  You are here to show off:  your talent. your expertise. your professionalism.  You know what you are.  You know what we are..... not.  And that makes you smile, no probably smirk.  I am not being snotty or rude, I am wishing I had your knowledge and skill set.  But you already knew that, didn't you.

Jan 21 20 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

HOTTIE SHOTS wrote:

Ok. I get it. When you have been shooting a long time you decide that you just want to do nudes. There are a lot of reasons. You love a beautiful woman's form. You are seriously heterosexual.  You like the shoot, the process and even the editing.  But you joined this site of mainly armatures and wannabees ….....just to show off.  You know you are better than most photographers on here on your bad days.  So they do a nude like this...….well you see it and do it better.  They do an implied like that...…..well you double down and put them to shame.  All while you are having to choose between hundreds of images that are better than ours, to pick the one to post on this site.  Yes you are arrogant in your work, but it is a deserved arrogance.  You are here to show off:  your talent. your expertise. your professionalism.  You know what you are.  You know what we are..... not.  And that makes you smile, no probably smirk.  I am not being snotty or rude, I am wishing I had your knowledge and skill set.  But you already knew that, didn't you.

lols, I'm actually laughing at your idea because while it's a compliment it's not accurate at all. Ok, well the part about loving a woman's form and being seriously heterosexual is and liking to shoot and enjoying editing and such is but thinking I'm better than anyone else is not. There are hundreds if not thousands of great photographers on here many of whom I admire and enjoy following. I do consider my work better than it used to be but not better than other's. I joined MM in hopes of finding models to practice on and photographers to learn from. I feel there's still volumes to learn and more to come.

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

Jan 22 20 04:31 am Link

Photographer

HeartSpur

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

Would love to hear what you have to say

Jan 22 20 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

shibarifann

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

One of the last things my Ex told me on her way out the door was that I needed some couch time...
So I'm game

Jan 24 20 05:51 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

After reading your profile and finding out that you are a trial lawyer specialized in copyright infringements, have you come across any cases involving photography, just curious?

As a photographer you appear to be highly interested and have mastered in a certain style, perhaps referred as "Pin up" images, that is according to your MM port and your Facebook pages.

We have different approaches and I would love read your comments...If, or when you have the time...
Thanks

Jan 24 20 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

I'd love to hear it!

Jan 24 20 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
After reading your profile and finding out that you are a trial lawyer specialized in copyright infringements, have you come across any cases involving photography, just curious?

As a photographer you appear to be highly interested and have mastered in a certain style, perhaps referred as "Pin up" images, that is according to your MM port and your Facebook pages.

We have different approaches and I would love read your comments...If, or when you have the time...
Thanks

I became involved in Photography around 2005 when I sued a Nationally known bikini calendar for infringement.  We won the case and the photographer said, "I can teach anyone to do this", so I took him up on it. I don't think my style is Pin Up, as that is much more artistic than the straight bikini shots and impied that I do.  But on to you...….

Now you actually made me pause when your port states you don't have a distinctive style. Really?  If you think that you are really blind to yourself.  Yes, you like variety, OCD and easily bored would be my observation.  So you see something and you have to do your own interpretation of it.  But the one overarching theme is that you feel uneasy in deep personal interactions.  And a naked woman staring intently at you is very deep and very personal...to you.  So your prefer the model engage in her environment, in herself, in anything but you.  And when they look away, that is when you see them the clearest, that is when you click the shutter. 

You said we have different approaches, and that is right.  I am shooting beauty, mainly in bikini, where the model is speaking directly to the viewer of the image and saying "I am beautiful and sexy."  You are shooting beauty, but the model is speaking to her own soul, to her own life, and you are just there to chronicle her journey.  But...you have to see the journey and know the beauty to properly capture their soul.  You do both.  And they love you for it, because your art for the models speaks not to the multitude, but to their view of themselves. And that sir, is a distinctive style.

Feb 01 20 07:53 pm Link

Model

Schoetze

New York, New York, US

Yes, I'd like to hear.  Thanks.

Feb 01 20 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Keet

Portland, Oregon, US

Please do.

Feb 03 20 07:30 am Link

Model

Andiel

Reading, England, United Kingdom

I’d love to know please!

Feb 03 20 09:47 am Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

shibarifann wrote:
One of the last things my Ex told me on her way out the door was that I needed some couch time...
So I'm game

I am most happy to fulfill your ex-wife's final request. 

However couch time is not what you need. But I digress...…..

Most bondage photographers, or at least the purchasers of those images, are scared and intimidated by women.  They are unable to communicate or deal with women who are free and equal and in charge of their lives.  So the women must be bound and often gagged for them to be acceptable and attractive. They revel in helpless women.  But not you.  You bind the women in a decorative manner.  The ropes and binds accentuate the woman, but do not in any way inhibit her.  And the few images in your port of what we would consider traditionally bound women, are mainly artistically enhanced and color enhanced to downplay the bindings, because...….you really like dealing with women who are your equal and not afraid to show it.  Those who are helpless are pointedly only that way in unrealistic artistic representations.

And what does that say about you?  For one thing,  you really like doing high quality and beautiful non-restrictive bindings. 

Then again, it might just say that you view women as objects of beauty who you hope to capture and bind and hold, but only in a manner where they acquiesce and where they love and appreciate what you can do to hold them and make them the type of woman who can be embraced and captured by a man, but still be free to be who they are and do what they want. 

I think your ex-wife mistook your artistic cry for her to accept your  love (bindings) while living her own life (non-restrictive bindings) as just some perv who liked tying up women.  Sad for her, but if she had looked at your work as a true artistic expression, she might have understood..

Feb 14 20 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

If you can make sense of my portfolio, please do.

Feb 15 20 12:10 am Link

Model

SneakySexy

Cleveland, Ohio, US

sure....best social experiment ever

Feb 15 20 11:23 am Link

Model

Mishelle portfolio

Miami, Florida, US

Let me know...

Feb 17 20 05:57 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Chain Reaction

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

HOTTIE SHOTS wrote:
I look at your port and analyze it and tell you what your port says about you as an artist and as a person.  I have not done this in a long time, so I thought I would do it again. But I must warn you, I see a lot.  So this is not for the faint of heart.

Hit me with your best shot!

Feb 17 20 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Prez Photo

Macomb, Michigan, US

Go for it. I'm curious being an amateur.

Mar 21 20 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

This should be interesting---Thanks.

Mar 21 20 01:31 pm Link

Model

alex21uk

Durham, England, United Kingdom

HOTTIE SHOTS wrote:

Sure - go for it   smile

Mar 23 20 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Harlequins Mask

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Sure, I'd like to hear what somebody thinks. Please do...

Mar 28 20 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

OK.  My doctor, tax accountant, and financial adviser like my work.  I've never asked a lawyer.  But they've also seen my film prints that I don't put on the web.

Apr 19 20 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I'm interested in your opinion, thanks

May 23 20 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Nasher

Meyrin, Geneva, Switzerland

That was a a lot of fun.... Thanks!!

Jun 15 20 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

AE Photography

Quartzsite, Arizona, US

if you're still at it, I'm interested

Jun 23 20 09:24 am Link

Photographer

AprilThisWay

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

I can handle a beat down.
Would love to hear your view.

Aug 24 20 03:26 pm Link

Model

Jewelz Alize

Newark, New Jersey, US

I’m down for a critique!

Aug 25 20 11:56 pm Link

Model

JosephSigma00

Chicago, Illinois, US

Yes please do review my portfolio and provide feedback.

Thanks!

Sep 08 20 06:11 am Link