Forums > General Industry > “Nude?” Or “Naked?”

Photographer

MoRina

Neumayer - permanent station of Germany, Sector claimed by Norway, Antarctica

Semantics.
Words have different meanings to different people. It's easier to avoid being offended when you realize that what you think something means isn't necessarily what the person who said it thinks it means.

Jul 17 23 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

dishabille

Jul 17 23 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Naked is more fun to say. Especially while panting and frothing at the mouth.

Jul 17 23 09:58 am Link

Photographer

MoRina

Arizona Shoots wrote:
Naked is more fun to say. Especially while panting and frothing at the mouth.

I dunno... try saying nooooooooodz and cocking an eyebrow and then slowly licking your lips.

Jul 17 23 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

P R E S T O N wrote:

"According to Websters dictionary, bottomless does mean nude"

No, it doesn't say that.

It lists "nude" as a qualified synonym. The qualification being "from the absence of lower as well as upper garments".

As usual, your ability to comprehend what is actually written is severely lacking.

Do not interrupt an AI bot in "learning" mode. 😂

Jul 17 23 11:19 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

From the addenda section of Websters; the definition of "bottomless".

1. NUDE 2. Featuring nude entertainers (a _ bar).

Jul 17 23 12:39 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Bottomless is nude or not on a cultural basis regardless of what a culturally biased dictionary says.

If a culture does not require a woman's or male's breast to be covered but requires genitalia to be covered, then bottomless is nude but that doesn't mean someone going commando is nude.  A grass skirt, loin cloth, kilt, or nightshirt is not nude or bottomless even if the part intended to be covered is playing peek-a-boo.

If breast must be covered culturally and a person is bottomless, they are not nude.  They are partially nude.

Since culture would matter regarding the perception of the people impacted, don't let a troll make yet another nothing into something.

Jul 17 23 01:12 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Studio NSFW wrote:
I must point this out to the local  Brunch place about their Sunday mimosas!

big_smile

Jul 17 23 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

MoRina wrote:
I dunno... try saying nooooooooodz and cocking an eyebrow and then slowly licking your lips.

Per your advice, I just tried that. Now can you please tell me how to remove a stiletto from my eye?

Jul 17 23 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

JSouthworth wrote:
From the addenda section of Websters; the definition of "bottomless".

1. NUDE 2. Featuring nude entertainers (a _ bar).

Seriously, this is the hill you've chosen to die on? Let it go man.

Jul 17 23 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

MoRina

Arizona Shoots wrote:

Per your advice, I just tried that. Now can you please tell me how to remove a stiletto from my eye?

You are not supposed to believe everything you read on the internet!

Jul 17 23 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Focuspuller wrote:
Do not interrupt an AI bot in "learning" mode. 😂

Wait a minute...  Shouldn't that mean that it would learn and adapt to new information / evidence that is presented to it?

Hah!

Jul 17 23 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

Perhaps the difference between being nude and being naked means something different to a man than it does to a woman.

As a man, I am nude when posing without any clothing for a female photographer.  Whereas I am naked when I am without any clothing in the presence of my female significant other.

But just one worthless opinion.

smile

Jul 18 23 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

LightDreams wrote:

Wait a minute...  Shouldn't that mean that it would learn and adapt to new information / evidence that is presented to it?

Hah!

Maybe after the next firmware update.

Jul 18 23 10:37 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

JQuest wrote:

Seriously, this is the hill you've chosen to die on? Let it go man.

It's pretty sad that there are people who are so dumb-assed that they can't even use a dictionary properly.

Jul 19 23 03:02 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Bottomless is nude or not on a cultural basis regardless of what a culturally biased dictionary says.

If a culture does not require a woman's or male's breast to be covered but requires genitalia to be covered, then bottomless is nude but that doesn't mean someone going commando is nude.  A grass skirt, loin cloth, kilt, or nightshirt is not nude or bottomless even if the part intended to be covered is playing peek-a-boo.

If breast must be covered culturally and a person is bottomless, they are not nude.  They are partially nude.

Since culture would matter regarding the perception of the people impacted, don't let a troll make yet another nothing into something.

Nude entertainers/performers in bars and leisure venues can be found outside of the United States, so it is the use of the word "bottomless" in this context that is culturally specific to the US.

Currently, public bars in most US states are not allowed to have bottomless entertainers, only private members clubs.

Jul 19 23 03:12 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Focuspuller wrote:

Maybe after the next firmware update.

Due to an obvious severe defect in the AI unit's comprehension/communication module, wireless firmware updates are not possible. Physical access to the defective module is via the unit's anus, and the team is confident that insertion of a cattle prod will deliver sufficient charge to create a powerful spasm, thereby ejecting the faulty module.

We are currently seeking a volunteer to insert the new hardware module.

The unit will be bottomless throughout the procedure.

Jul 19 23 03:28 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

JSouthworth wrote:
It's pretty sad that there are people who are so dumb-assed that they can't even use a dictionary properly.

Says the guy trying to create an edgy and evocative post but doesn't know the difference between "Nude" and "bottomless". Maybe YOU should pick up a dictionary. Not sure why you needed quotes around the words but whatever. Here's a hint for the "dumb-assed". Bottomless; without a bottom. Stupid donkey.

https://media.tenor.com/bLXCKlOLYmYAAAAd/onkey-donkey.gif

Jul 19 23 04:13 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

JSouthworth wrote:
Nude entertainers/performers in bars and leisure venues can be found outside of the United States, so it is the use of the word "bottomless" in this context that is culturally specific to the US.

Currently, public bars in most US states are not allowed to have bottomless entertainers, only private members clubs.

You can try to muddy the waters with irrational arguments but what has changed in your scenario?  If a performer in the US is bottomless and not topless, they are not nude.  How can you possibly come up with a rational alternative to the definition of nude?  You are, or you are not, and the only third option would be if you are partially nude- because I know you are going to go there, but being partially nude is, by the meanings of the words, not nude. 

Nude is nude, dude.  Otherwise you are not nude.  If you are half nude you are half nude, not nude. 

nude | noÍžod |
adjective
1 wearing NO clothes; naked

If a person has on two articles of clothing on their body to start and nude is zero clothing.  Then,
2-0=2 not nude
2-1=1 not nude
2-2=0 nude
Do you understand?  If not, try this video. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioVZFvILTJQ.  I hope it is not above your grade level.  Please let me know.

If your camera lens is set to f2, then it is set to f2.  If your camera lens is not set to f2, then your camera lens is not set to f2.  If your camera lens is set to f2, then your camera lens is not set to f4.  Just think in terms of absolute true or absolute false.  Either or.  True or false.  Is being bottomless only being nude?  No, or false. You must have been a joy to teach.

Jul 19 23 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I called a modeling agency and told them I needed a BARE GIRL and this is who they sent me:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpyf4g3GXNirYnZA4BwXiXIdbm7-nZOjXoIGejobo4fGveZciOj_yZSYffcg1neH3aONw&usqp=CAU

Jul 19 23 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
I called a modeling agency and told them I needed a BARE GIRL and this is who they sent me:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpyf4g3GXNirYnZA4BwXiXIdbm7-nZOjXoIGejobo4fGveZciOj_yZSYffcg1neH3aONw&usqp=CAU

If she starts calling you "Honey", GET OUT OF THERE, FAST

Jul 19 23 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

JSouthworth wrote:

Don’t be a Funk n’Wagnalls

Jul 19 23 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

1493–
nude, adj. & n.
Of a person or a part of the human body, or its representation in art, etc.: wearing no clothes, naked, bare. Also as adv.
1551–1845
nude, v.
transitive. To deprive or strip (a person) of something.

This is from the OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY which you Brits should be using. smile

Jul 19 23 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Studio NSFW wrote:
Don’t be a Funk n’Wagnalls

I checked Funk and Wagnalls dictionary as well, but it doesn't have a definition of "bottomless" in the sense of nudity.

I quite like the word "bottomless" because it doesn't have the disadvantage of the pretentiousness than can attach to "nude", when people talk about "fine art nude" photography for example. Photography can be fine art; the names of Andy Warhol and Robert Frank are just two that come immediately to mind. But to actually make a point of referring to your own work as "fine art" or "fine art nude" suggests a certain insecurity even if it doesn't violate existing trading laws.

Jul 21 23 05:21 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
If a performer in the US is bottomless and not topless, they are not nude.  How can you possibly come up with a rational alternative to the definition of nude?  You are, or you are not, and the only third option would be if you are partially nude- because I know you are going to go there, but being partially nude is, by the meanings of the words, not nude.

You're arguing that "bottomless" doesn't mean nude, but Websters dictionary says that it can mean nude;

https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction … tertainers

Etymologically, "Bottomless" can be seen to be a derivation from "topless" in this sense. Or was it the other way around?

Jul 21 23 05:35 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn 2

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

The more time spent arguing over semantics, the less time we spend creating, drawing, painting, shooting art.

Jul 21 23 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Iona Lynn 2 wrote:
The more time spent arguing over semantics, the less time we spend creating, drawing, painting, shooting art.

But arguing is so much easier than creating.

Jul 21 23 10:03 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

JSouthworth wrote:
You're arguing that "bottomless" doesn't mean nude, but Websters dictionary says that it can mean nude;

https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction … tertainers

Etymologically, "Bottomless" can be seen to be a derivation from "topless" in this sense. Or was it the other way around?

Look at what you said:  "Can," "seems," "in this sense."  These are all indications of subjective applications to get the desired results when the word nude has a specific meaning and the modifiers that further specify the condition of the subject indicate otherwise or are redundant.  Totally nude and completely nude are redundant.  Partially nude means they are not nude.  It means they are partially covered. 

I am using the meaning of the word nude.
From your source:
a
[from the absence of lower as well as upper garments] : NUDE
bottomless dancers
b
: featuring nude entertainers

"AS WELL AS UPPER GARMENTS"

You can't pull the one word you want from the entire explanation and ignore the rest.

What do you not understand? 

From Merriam-Webster, since that is what you are referencing:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nude
Nude
2a
: devoid of a natural or conventional covering
especially : not covered by clothing or a drape

From Merriam-Webster
"DEVOID:
: being without a usual, typical, or expected attribute or accompaniment"
"an argument devoid of sense"

Black's Law Dictionary
NUDE
Naked. This word is applied metaphorically to a variety of subjects to indicate that they are lacking in some essential legal requisite.

Thesaurus- on line dictionary
nude
adjective
naked, in the nude, stark naked, bare, with nothing on, stripped, unclothed, undressed, uncovered, in a state of nature, disrobed, unclad, undraped, exposed; French au naturel; informal without a stitch on, in one's birthday suit, in the raw, in the altogether, in the buff, as naked as the day one was born, in the nuddy, mother naked; British informal starkers; Scottish informal in the scud, scuddy; North American informal bare-assed, buck naked; Australian informal bollocky; British vulgar slang bollock-naked. ANTONYMS dressed, fully clothed

Not one of the synonyms indicate any form of being partially dressed is nude or naked.
The antonym does not indicate that you can be partially dressed to be dressed.

If you are partially dressed, then you are not completely dressed.
If you are partially nude, then you are not completely nude. 

One has to wonder how many sources you looked at for the purpose of finding one that is nebulous enough for you to create an argument about what is nudity.  Instead of trying to expand the definition of what nude means, you could simply use the words and phrases required to say what you intend to convey, instead of speaking in such a way that the reader or person listening is confused or unsure of your meanings.

"The beautiful lass turned from the boudoir mirror, seemingly failing to notice that her towel caught on an edge of the dresser drawer and pulled away from her hips as she turned, leaving only her camisole to offer her a modicum of modesty as she floated across the room on foot steps as light as a breeze, as the towel settled silently beyond her reach. She turned and glanced back over towards my chair as she shuttered the dressing room door behind her. There was a unequivocal mischievous glint in her eye as she left the room." 

Have I left any doubt regarding the scene? 

You really should try writing to be understood as a normal course of action.  Use the words that best convey your message.  If you have to argue over the meaning of the word, you have squandered your effort to communicate. 

"She was a joy to behold when she engaged her propensity to wear bottomless attire by the pool on warm, sunny days." Which clearly does not mean she is nude and leaves some room for a bit of imagination regarding her appearance.  If you made such a statement and used the word nude as a synonym for bottomless, then you have failed to communicate that there was something on top.  Bottomless simply does not mean nude. 

Try writing something where bottomless means nude and you are bound to add descriptors to the word nude or torture the phrase.  That is your homework assignment: Use the word nude to convey one is only bottomless, without adverbs modifying nude.

Jul 21 23 10:30 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Iona Lynn 2 wrote:

It can be creative to argue.  smile

Perhaps I will work those examples up into full stories.   They could also be the premise for paintings.

That did turn into a long lunch break.  Beats doing calculations, even though they still have to get done.

Jul 21 23 10:34 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn 2

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Iona Lynn 2 wrote:

Mark Salo wrote:
But arguing is so much easier than creating.

Very true, I recall about a decade ago I was in LA modeling/shooting for a week had access to a studio, one new model on MM posted about how many people flaked on her or NO ONE would take a chance on a new model, she begged anyone to help her, we all gave her great advice, and I straight up told her I would be able to shoot a very good beginners portfolio the very next day, she had already said she was doing NOTHING, no job, no modeling gigs, no appointments..

I invited her over, gave her my number, the address, she was less than 5 miles away.

Nah.... She never showed...

Too busy arguing online about her woes....

Jul 21 23 10:35 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Look at what you said:  "Can," "seems," "in this sense."  These are all indications of subjective applications to get the desired results when the word nude has a specific meaning and the modifiers that further specify the condition of the subject indicate otherwise or are redundant.  Totally nude and completely nude are redundant.  Partially nude means they are not nude.  It means they are partially covered. 

From your source:
a
bottomless dancers
b

You can't pull the one word you want from the entire explanation and ignore the rest.

Nude
2a

From Merriam-Webster
"DEVOID:

Black's Law Dictionary
NUDE
Naked. This word is applied metaphorically to a variety of subjects to indicate that they are lacking in some essential legal requisite.

nude
adjective
naked, in the nude, stark naked, bare, with nothing on, stripped, unclothed, undressed, uncovered, in a state of nature, disrobed, unclad, undraped, exposed; French au naturel; informal without a stitch on, in one's birthday suit, in the raw, in the altogether, in the buff, as naked as the day one was born, in the nuddy, mother naked; British informal starkers; Scottish informal in the scud, scuddy; North American informal bare-assed, buck naked; Australian informal bollocky; British vulgar slang bollock-naked. ANTONYMS dressed, fully clothed

Not one of the synonyms indicate any form of being partially dressed is nude or naked.

One has to wonder how many sources you looked at for the purpose of finding one that is nebulous enough for you to create an argument about what is nudity.  Instead of trying to expand the definition of what nude means, you could simply use the words and phrases required to say what you intend to convey, instead of speaking in such a way that the reader or person listening is confused or unsure of your meanings.

"The beautiful lass turned from the boudoir mirror, seemingly failing to notice that her towel caught on an edge of the dresser drawer and pulled away from her hips as she turned, leaving only her camisole to offer her a modicum of modesty as she floated across the room on foot steps as light as a breeze, as the towel settled silently beyond her reach. She turned and glanced back over towards my chair as she shuttered the dressing room door behind her. There was a unequivocal mischievous glint in her eye as she left the room." 

You really should try writing to be understood as a normal course of action.  Use the words that best convey your message.  If you have to argue over the meaning of the word, you have squandered your effort to communicate. 

"She was a joy to behold when she engaged her propensity to wear bottomless attire by the pool on warm, sunny days." Which clearly does not mean she is nude and leaves some room for a bit of imagination regarding her appearance.  If you made such a statement and used the word nude as a synonym for bottomless, then you have failed to communicate that there was something on top.  Bottomless simply does not mean nude. 

Try writing something where bottomless means nude and you are bound to add descriptors to the word nude or torture the phrase.  That is your homework assignment: Use the word nude to convey one is only bottomless, without adverbs modifying nude.

More proof, if any were needed that a lot of words doesn't make a good argument.

"Bottomless" can be used to mean nude, or naked according to Websters dictionary. That's good enough.

It can also mean naked from the waist down. "Bottomless attire" means clothing designed to be worn that way. I found this little waistcoat in white lycra stretch fabric, with golden buttons on both sides but no buttonholes.

Jul 22 23 02:07 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

JSouthworth wrote:
More proof, if any were needed that a lot of words doesn't make a good argument.

"Bottomless" can be used to mean nude, or naked according to Websters dictionary. That's good enough.

It can also mean naked from the waist down. "Bottomless attire" means clothing designed to be worn that way. I found this little waistcoat in white lycra stretch fabric, with golden buttons on both sides but no buttonholes.

-
-
Has one person agreed with you?  But you must be right.

More words does make it hard for those that cannot comprehend what they read. But we must all play to the most stupid in society?  That only the simplest explanation can suffice to refute an error and anything else is wasted?

Are those unable to comprehend reason more likely to simply accept someone saying, "No, you are wrong," rather then them rejecting every possible effort to explain something to them as they set their feet in the mud and insist on playing the fool?  You were told you were wrong many times, but you didn't understand.  You were given greater explanations, but you didn't understand.  Is there any possibility that you can understand or is the only way to deal with you is for the entire world to ignore everything you have to say?  It is somewhat surprising that you have not deflected to something about world war 2 battleships to show nude means bottomless.

Why is that when I look up what Webster's said, it doesn't match your claim?

seach:
webster's dictionary bottomless
yields
bot·â€‹tom·â€‹less ˈbät-É™m-lÉ™s. 1. : having no bottom. 2. : very deep.
Bottomless Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

So, no, Webster's doesn't say what you said.

Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more
bot·tom·less
adjective
without a bottom.
"plant mint in a bottomless bucket sunk into the ground"
naked below the waist. 

As suggested, if you made an effort to use bottomless as synonym for nude in a sentence, you would fail.  As illustrated by Oxford, naked or nude doesn't do it and that is why they added, "below the waist."

"More proof, if any were needed[,] that a lot of words doesn't make a good argument" to people incapable of reason. 

Good enough is what is said by those that aren't good enough to achieve excellence.

There is little point in ever showing you any respect. 

Whatever.  Go ahead and make fifty more posts insisting that bottomless means nude and maybe it will come true.

Jul 22 23 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

From your source:
a
bottomless dancers
b

Nude
2a

From Merriam-Webster
"DEVOID:

Black's Law Dictionary
NUDE

nude
adjective

If James A. Michener was a Model Mayhem member...

Jul 22 23 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

JSouthworth wrote:

If you design clothing, or even if you just want to put together an outfit for a model to wear in a photo shoot, you have to consider the complete look, rather than one item at a time and this applies to a bottomless look as well. If the top is the only thing the model is wearing then it should ideally be designed with that look in mind.

Similarly, if you do nude pictures with just high heel sandals, you have to take great care in selecting the right pair of shoes, because the color and detail design are of critical importance to the image. You may have to modify an existing pair to get what you want (by removing some of the straps for example).

The fewer the clothes, or the fewer the details in a picture, the more important they are individually to the overall look or image.

Jul 23 23 06:08 am Link

Photographer

Visual Delights

Austin, Texas, US

In returning to the original question, "What’s the difference between 'Naked' and 'Nude'?” let me add that etymology (the study of word origins) offers some insight here, as it so often does. "Naked" is a native word that has been in English for as long as the language has existed. Not till the 1400s did English borrow "nude" from Latin. Because "naked" is a native word, it's more basic, more down-to-earth, more a word of common folks, than the "nude" that scholars borrowed from Latin. Because the fine arts aspire to refinement, Latin-derived "nude" became the word of choice for painters and sculptors and later photographers, rather than our native "naked."

Jul 23 23 07:17 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Visual Delights wrote:
... Because "naked" is a native word, it's more basic, more down-to-earth, more a word of common folks, than the "nude" that scholars borrowed from Latin. Because the fine arts aspire to refinement, Latin-derived "nude" became the word of choice for painters and sculptors and later photographers, rather than our native "naked."

Interesting.  And the (artististic) phrasing does seem to be "I shoot nudes" (or "work with", "draw" or "paint").

Somehow "I like to photograph naked people", just doesn't come across the same way...!

Jul 23 23 11:18 am Link

Photographer

MoRina

Arizona Shoots wrote:
If James A. Michener was a Model Mayhem member...

Except people have actually read what Michener wrote.

Jul 23 23 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

MoRina wrote:

True that.. I managed to make it through two of them.

Jul 23 23 07:49 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

MoRina wrote:

Arizona Shoots wrote:
True that.. I managed to make it through two of them.

big_smile

Thank you for the well reasoned. imaginative and convincing contributions you both made during the discussion.

Jul 23 23 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

MoRina

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
big_smile

Thank you for the well reasoned. imaginative and convincing contributions you both made during the discussion.

OMG! Thank you for acknowledging me! I live for your approval!

Jul 24 23 12:27 pm Link