Forums > General Industry > “Nude?” Or “Naked?”

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

MoRina wrote:
OMG! Thank you for acknowledging me! I live for your approval!

You're welcome, and yes, I know you do!  But really, you don't have to thank me.

Jul 24 23 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

JohnTozziPhotography

Seattle, Washington, US

Reminds me of the old joke:

Naked means you don’t have any clothes on.
Nekkid means you don’t have any clothes on and you’re up to something.

Jul 24 23 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

JohnTozziPhotography wrote:
Reminds me of the old joke:

Naked means you don’t have any clothes on.
Nekkid means you don’t have any clothes on and you’re up to something.

Nekkid means that either (1) you can't spell words properly or (2) you want to give people that impression.

Jul 25 23 04:11 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Does your Funk’n Wagnalls have a definition for “Tool”?

Jul 25 23 05:06 am Link

Photographer

JohnTozziPhotography

Seattle, Washington, US

JSouthworth wrote:

Nekkid means that either (1) you can't spell words properly or (2) you want to give people that impression.

Nekkid is a word. Check the Oxford English Dictionary.

It’s a term used in the southern US quite frequently.

Perhaps a little google search would have saved you a failed troll attempt.

Jul 25 23 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

JSouthworth wrote:

Twatospheric.

I doubt it's in a dictionary, but it does sound incredibly apt.

Jul 25 23 02:47 pm Link

Jul 25 23 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

PaulHomsyPhotography

Los Angeles, California, US

aquarelle wrote:
What’s the difference between “Naked” and “Nude?”

The words pretty much mean the same, don’t they?  But why don’t the words ever seem to be interchangeable?  There is Norman Mailer’s war novel, “The Naked and the Dead.”  Why not “The Nude and the Dead?” 

Naked Lunch; Naked City;  The Naked Spur;  Naked Aggression;  Go Naked in the World;  The Naked Eye; The Naked Maja;  The Naked Prey;  The Naked Edge.  These are famous books, paintings, movies and phrases that have entered the culture.  Why is everything “Naked?”  Why isn’t anything “Nude?”

Models pose nude.  We never hear of a “naked” model.  It’s nude photography, not naked photography.  Nude figure art, not naked figure art.   A nude statue, not a naked statue.

We have Duchamp’s “Nude Descending a Staircase,” but there it’s used as a noun.  You couldn’t have “Naked Descending a Staircase.  There’s no noun form for “naked”—unlike “A Nude,” there’s no such thing as “A Naked.”

I’m a figure painter.  I would never ask a model to pose “naked” for me.  It sounds like she’d be embarrassingly “nude,” exposed and maybe even damp and chilly.  “Naked” seems kind of like “nude,” but with less clothes on. 

Anyone have any thoughts on that? 

(I would like to add, however, that I am neither a “Nude” painter OR a “Naked” painter.  I usually keep my clothes on when I’m working.)

Jul 25 23 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

PaulHomsyPhotography

Jul 25 23 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Nekkid is a word. Check the Oxford English Dictionary.

It’s a term used in the southern US quite frequently.

There are plenty of words in the dictionary to describe people who use that type of language, but they mostly aren't complementary. On the subject of fashion, do you often wear shorts? Sandals? Necklaces made from seashells? I'm just curious.

You say nekkid means "up to something". Up to what? We're mature educated people, you don't gotta keep us in suspense.

Jul 26 23 03:03 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

JSouthworth wrote:

More proof, if any were needed that a lot of words doesn't make a good argument.

"Bottomless" can be used to mean nude, or naked according to Websters dictionary. That's good enough.

It can also mean naked from the waist down. "Bottomless attire" means clothing designed to be worn that way. I found this little waistcoat in white lycra stretch fabric, with golden buttons on both sides but no buttonholes.

Bottomless attire.... that could mean completely naked, in which case it would be a contradiction in terms, because a naked person isn't attired, they aren't wearing any attire. Or it could mean attired in a top but with no bottom, ie naked from the waist down.

Bottomless attire, if used to refer to clothing would apply to something specifically designed for a bottomless look, with nothing on below the waist. To call a bikini top "bottomless attire" would be a little pretentious.

Jul 26 23 03:18 am Link

Photographer

JohnTozziPhotography

Seattle, Washington, US

JSouthworth wrote:

There are plenty of words in the dictionary to describe people who use that type of language, but they mostly aren't complementary. On the subject of fashion, do you often wear shorts? Sandals? Necklaces made from seashells? I'm just curious.

You say nekkid means "up to something". Up to what? We're mature educated people, you don't gotta keep us in suspense.

The quote is from Lewis Grizzard. You’d have to ask him.

Jul 26 23 12:51 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

JSouthworth wrote:
a naked person isn't attired, they aren't wearing any attire.

tup tup tup

Jul 26 23 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

"Nekkid" is obviously just a mispronunciation of naked, so to call that a "new word" is being silly. It doesn't appear in my Concise Oxford Dictionary.

Jul 29 23 05:38 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

The quote is from Lewis Grizzard. You’d have to ask him.

No, I've never heard of him.

Jul 29 23 05:45 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

JSouthworth wrote:
No, I've never heard of him.

That much is obvious, no need to say it.

Jul 29 23 06:11 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JSouthworth wrote:
"Nekkid" is obviously just a mispronunciation of naked, so to call that a "new word" is being silly. It doesn't appear in my Concise Oxford Dictionary.

Oxford English Dictionary online:

https://www.oed.com/search/dictionary/? … p;q=nekkid

This is why your references, conclusions, opinions, pedantry, etc., etc. are met with such incredulity and skepticism in these Fora.

Jul 29 23 09:49 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Focuspuller wrote:

This is why your references, conclusions, opinions, pedantry, etc., etc. are met with such incredulity and skepticism in these Fora.

Skepticism is one thing, believing that the Apollo moon landings were faked is just paranoid really I think.

Aug 02 23 03:21 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

"She was a joy to behold when she engaged her propensity to wear bottomless attire by the pool on warm, sunny days." Which clearly does not mean she is nude and leaves some room for a bit of imagination regarding her appearance.  If you made such a statement and used the word nude as a synonym for bottomless, then you have failed to communicate that there was something on top.  Bottomless simply does not mean nude.

"She was a joy to behold when she engaged her propensity to wear bottomless attire by the pool on warm, sunny days."  So maybe you think she was wearing a T shirt? A bikini top? Not if she wanted to get an even tan.

Aug 02 23 03:27 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

JSouthworth wrote:
"She was a joy to behold when she engaged her propensity to wear bottomless attire by the pool on warm, sunny days."  So maybe you think she was wearing a T shirt? A bikini top? Not if she wanted to get an even tan.

I also said, "Which clearly does not mean she is nude and leaves some room for a bit of imagination regarding her appearance.  If you made such a statement and used the word nude as a synonym for bottomless, then you have failed to communicate that there was something on top."   

What difference does her tanning intention make?  That would be up to the reader to decide, unless it was revealed elsewhere in the narrative. 

What difference does her upper garment make?  That would be up to the reader to decide, unless it was revealed elsewhere in the narrative. 

The intent of the passage would be to allow a reader to imagine what the reader likes or doesn't like.  You could also wonder what her grooming was like, but it wasn't important for the story at this time and may never be.  Perhaps she didn't go topless because she has scars.  Or she needed to be able to cover up quickly.  The what ifs can go on forever.  What we know is that in some form she was bottomless, but not topless.  What was needed to be communicated to you, was.

The point of the narrative was- as you have eventually rationalized out for yourself- that being bottomless is not nude.  It is partially nude.  Everything else is up to you until you read the rest of the scene or see the painting.  Even then you could come up with questions, but the premise required to this point is only that is she is bottomless and not topless.

Aug 02 23 04:32 am Link

Photographer

JohnTozziPhotography

Seattle, Washington, US

Focuspuller wrote:

πŸ€œπŸΌπŸ€›πŸΌ

Aug 02 23 10:40 am Link

Model

Simon Rob

Durham, England, United Kingdom

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

I also said, "Which clearly does not mean she is nude and leaves some room for a bit of imagination regarding her appearance.  If you made such a statement and used the word nude as a synonym for bottomless, then you have failed to communicate that there was something on top."   

What difference does her tanning intention make?  That would be up to the reader to decide, unless it was revealed elsewhere in the narrative. 

What difference does her upper garment make?  That would be up to the reader to decide, unless it was revealed elsewhere in the narrative. 

The intent of the passage would be to allow a reader to imagine what the reader likes or doesn't like.  You could also wonder what her grooming was like, but it wasn't important for the story at this time and may never be.  Perhaps she didn't go topless because she has scars.  Or she needed to be able to cover up quickly.  The what ifs can go on forever.  What we know is that in some form she was bottomless, but not topless.  What was needed to be communicated to you, was.

The point of the narrative was- as you have eventually rationalized out for yourself- that being bottomless is not nude.  It is partially nude.  Everything else is up to you until you read the rest of the scene or see the painting.  Even then you could come up with questions, but the premise required to this point is only that is she is bottomless and not topless.

Technically you aren't even naked if wearing a single sock never mind a top.

Aug 02 23 11:10 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

In that quote, "bottomless attire" clearly does mean nude; nobody sunbathes with just a bikini top on, because that would result in an uneven tan and would therefore be pointlessly dumb-assed, just like most of your arguments. But it's an over-use of language, it would be enough just to say that she sunbathed bottomless by the pool.

Aug 04 23 04:19 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

JSouthworth wrote:
In that quote, "bottomless attire" clearly does mean nude; nobody sunbathes with just a bikini top on, because that would result in an uneven tan and would therefore be pointlessly dumb-assed, just like most of your arguments. But it's an over-use of language, it would be enough just to say that she sunbathed bottomless by the pool.

Your use of the word nobody is absurd.  There are billions of women in the world.  Just one doing it, would dismiss your argument. 

You are making an assumption that you attribute to me.    Would you please quote the line where I said she was wearing only a bikini top or where I attributed a bikini top as a feature anywhere in the scene?  That was the option in your mind, not mine.

In fact, that you declare that she is wearing a bikini top proves my point that she was not nude when I said that she was bottomless- and you agreed with me, like or it not.  Therefore, you went against your own assertion that bottomless means nude.  It is pointless that you are continuing to argue a point of view that you already admitted was wrong.

JSouthworth wrote:
Bottomless attire.... that could mean completely naked, in which case it would be a contradiction in terms, because a naked person isn't attired, they aren't wearing any attire. Or it could mean attired in a top but with no bottom, ie naked from the waist down.

Bottomless attire, if used to refer to clothing would apply to something specifically designed for a bottomless look, with nothing on below the waist. To call a bikini top "bottomless attire" would be a little pretentious.

-
It seems you are fixated on the character wearing a bikini top and are incapable of conjuring an image other than the first thing to pop into a narrow imagination stream.  Although you would consider calling bottomless attire pretentious if the top is a bikini top, your are still admitting it is bottomless attire.  That is the image you have imagined and shared, and you alone have done so.

Perhaps you could could consider she is wearing a t-shirt, a man's shirt, a swimwear cover, a swim shirt, a slip, a robe, a beach cover up....  There are so many items she could wear to resolve YOUR fixation with tan lines. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=women+s … p;ie=UTF-8

Or, she is sometimes topless when she wears a bikini, so she needs to wear only the top from time to time to even her tan between the bikini lines- just in case some Brit sees her- she doesn't want to provide the opportunity to be critiqued regarding a slight difference in the shades of her skin between the bikini lines- because who the hell would care about that anyway?  God forbid that some random, obsessive compulsive sees a shade of difference!

Or she could own a tan through bikini, rendering the problem mute.  https://www.google.com/search?q=tan+thr … p;ie=UTF-8

I am sure that for some, the level of literary genius is sufficient and "it would be enough just to say that she sunbathed bottomless by the pool."  As opposed to, "She was a joy to behold when she engaged her propensity to wear bottomless attire by the pool on warm, sunny days."  They are sentences that are hardly making the same implication.  The latter of which does not mean she was sunbathing.  She could have been writing her novel, shopping on line for a new pool top, answering emails, cleaning the pool, doing morning yoga, picking up after the kids, ....   

deadhorse

Edit:
My apologies for responding to this person again.  I have given him the benefit of the doubt that he was not a troll and his behavior was something resulting from an attribute beyond his control that I have had past experience with, among certain people.  I have tried to talk to him and extend respect- personally failing on some occasions.  I see I am frustrating myself and others, so I will make a greater effort to ignore him from now on. 

Also, if you are annoyed by my long posts or the nature of my comments, please skip over my posts.  If you think I am a troll, that gives you all the more reason to ignore me and to not reference my posts in your posts.

Aug 04 23 06:05 am Link

Photographer

NakeyPiX

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

NakeyPiX wrote:
You can always tell when a website or forum is at the end of it's life when someone asks "the difference between naked and nude".  Historically speaking, it happens every time.

I think y'all understand now.

Aug 04 23 06:45 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I can be naked if I want to be.  The rest of you can be nude if you want to be.  I'm still good with my choice because the implication of more vulnerability is important to me.

Aug 04 23 09:21 am Link

Model

peter vic

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It's interesting, I call myself a nude model ... never a naked model. I think nude model means I model nude (on purpose), naked model means I just happen to be naked.

Aug 05 23 06:17 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JSouthworth wrote:
Skepticism is one thing, believing that the Apollo moon landings were faked is just paranoid really I think.

You said you couldn't find "nekkid" in the Concise OED. I found it in the complete OED online in two seconds, casting doubt on your research competence. What does the Apollo moon landing have to d o with this? What dimension of your phantasy world are you presently inhabiting?

Aug 05 23 10:45 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Focuspuller wrote:

You said you couldn't find "nekkid" in the Concise OED. I found it in the complete OED online in two seconds, casting doubt on your research competence. What does the Apollo moon landing have to d o with this? What dimension of your phantasy world are you presently inhabiting?

If the intended purpose of the Apollo space program was to make monkeys out of people like you, it seems to have been totally successful.

Aug 06 23 03:36 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JSouthworth wrote:

If the intended purpose of the Apollo space program was to make monkeys out of people like you, it seems to have been totally successful.

Old chap, like the Apollo program, you have left the planet. Call us if you make it back.

Aug 06 23 08:57 am Link

Photographer

DRLPhoto

Narragansett, Rhode Island, US

This has probably been stated already, but nude means ‘without clothes’ and naked means ‘unprotected’. If your shoot involves vulnerability and the emotion brought with being naked or exposed, use the word “naked”. If it’s a shoot using the unclothed human figure but isn’t exploring the vulnerability that comes along with the state of being without clothes or protection, use “nude”. Also, “naked” doesn’t necessarily have to be without clothes. You can explore nakedness without including an unclothed human form.

Aug 22 23 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Adventure Photos

Palos Park, Illinois, US

The two terms have been in discussions within the nudist community too.  For magazine articles, or material they put in print. The proper choice among naturists and nudists is 'Nude'.  Or to say 'unclothed'.  Naked seems to be a negative, as if you were 'caught' without any clothes on.   For me, I think of a disgusting sex swapping resort nearby back in the 80's that was called 'Naked City'.  It was not a naturist or approved resort for normal use or families.    Also, Naked City was the name of an old black and white TV cop program in the 50's era.   yeah, I'm that old.

Sep 02 23 06:36 pm Link

Model

JimSteeleVT

Burlington, Vermont, US

aquarelle wrote:
What’s the difference between “Naked” and “Nude?”

The words pretty much mean the same, don’t they?  But why don’t the words ever seem to be interchangeable?  There is Norman Mailer’s war novel, “The Naked and the Dead.”  Why not “The Nude and the Dead?” 

Naked Lunch; Naked City;  The Naked Spur;  Naked Aggression;  Go Naked in the World;  The Naked Eye; The Naked Maja;  The Naked Prey;  The Naked Edge.  These are famous books, paintings, movies and phrases that have entered the culture.  Why is everything “Naked?”  Why isn’t anything “Nude?”

Models pose nude.  We never hear of a “naked” model.  It’s nude photography, not naked photography.  Nude figure art, not naked figure art.   A nude statue, not a naked statue.

We have Duchamp’s “Nude Descending a Staircase,” but there it’s used as a noun.  You couldn’t have “Naked Descending a Staircase.  There’s no noun form for “naked”—unlike “A Nude,” there’s no such thing as “A Naked.”

I’m a figure painter.  I would never ask a model to pose “naked” for me.  It sounds like she’d be embarrassingly “nude,” exposed and maybe even damp and chilly.  “Naked” seems kind of like “nude,” but with less clothes on. 

Anyone have any thoughts on that? 

(I would like to add, however, that I am neither a “Nude” painter OR a “Naked” painter.  I usually keep my clothes on when I’m working.)

We obviously use the term nude more often but at the end of the day it's really a game of people being far too caught up on a word. Yes nude sounds more professional but at the end of the day if I do a nude shoot I was naked--- is it really that big of a deal?

Sep 03 23 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

It is mostly semantics, yes. However, "nude" is more of a highbrow, and artistic term, and "naked" is more implying nude without intent, or wish, to be nude.

It is all in how the words are used, and not whether they actually mean the same thing, bottom line.

We have to recognize that clothing is a social medium............in most of human society. Only in nudist colonies or clubs, is nudity considered to be the socially acceptable attire. That is partly because we have laws against such things, in public places, and we teach our kids that public nudity is socially unacceptable, from generation to generation, simply because it is mostly illegal to go into the public without proper attire.

Now that there are some types and places where nudity is acceptable, such as nudist colonies and clubs, nude beaches, topless beaches, and in some European countries, there are places where nudity will be ignored by law enforcement, even on city streets, things are getting looser, on attire, and women are feeling more free to wear see-through clothing, especially in Hollywood, where sheer dresses with only thong panties underneath, are now quite common on the red carpet. Some things cycle however, and in some ways, going braless is less common today, than it was 30-40 yrs. ago. Anyone remember the hot pants era?  While the micro mini skirt, is a sort of new version of that, which literally assumes that people will see your underwear, when you wear that in public, the wearer doesn't care, and dresses accordingly. (My wife wore those hot pants outfits out to eat and dance, and she isn't even the daring type.)

Thong panties are now the most popular form of panty for young adult women. When they first came out, they weren't that popular, but when showing butt cheeks got popular, in swimwear, the thongs really took off. There is always going to be, some new way to show off, and that keeps people more free to be who they want to be, so that's a good thing.

People have to feel comfortable in what they wear. Models have to feel comfortable in their own skin to model nude. Photographers have to help them feel comfortable, by being respectful of the fact, that is not always easy for them to do. 
Using the right words, is important.............nude is the better word. Semi-nude, is the same thing as implied nude, but perhaps a little more descriptive of what they will actually be doing, The word "implied" is rather vague, and open to interpretation. I also use other words that I think are more descriptive than the more commonly used words, and therefore more accurately communicate what is being discussed. For instance, I will use the term "exposed topless", which more clearly indicates something worn, but open, rather than the word topless alone, which is more of a "not wearing a top of any kind", type of word.

In Lingerie, no matter whether you are shooting in the Fashion genre, or another genre, if you are shooting sheer chemise, or sheer nightgowns, short or long, if you want the model to know that might be without any garments under them, to include bra or panties, you should say so, so they know to anticipate that possibility, as many new models think they can keep themselves covered under sheer fabrics, which is not the really the case. Models can absolutely be that naive. Also, with newer models, they generally will have all natural pubic hair, without having trimmed it neatly for photography, and it is really better if they trim it neatly, for several reasons.............it will show under sheer fabrics, and should be neat, and you don't want public hair to show around panty lines, or swimwear, either, and with the common use of thongs, and other brief panty styles, that's important. Give a model instructions on how to trim, if needed. It isn't complicated. some models will need minimal trimming, and others may need quite a bit of trimming.

Rick

Sep 11 23 08:21 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

Your use of the word nobody is absurd.  There are billions of women in the world.  Just one doing it, would dismiss your argument.

And yet I have never seen anyone sunbathing with just a bikini top on. On the other hand a "bottomless" look, meaning naked from the waist down is not unusual in glamour photography. So perhaps it all depends on context.

Sep 22 23 08:39 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

Image is 18+
Woman sunning herself bottomless. A 5 second google search undoes your "because I haven't seen it, it does not exist." argument.

Sep 22 23 09:29 am Link

Photographer

JohnTozziPhotography

Seattle, Washington, US

JQuest wrote:
Image is 18+
Woman sunning herself bottomless. A 5 second google search undoes your "because I haven't seen it, it does not exist." argument.

Facts mean nothing to a person when their entire identity is wrapped up in believing their opinion is the sole one experienced by 8 billion people and there must be something wrong with you for questioning it.

Sep 22 23 10:51 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

JQuest wrote:
Image is 18+

Whose idea was it? That's the question. Is it likely that a female model would, on her own initiative, sunbathe with just a bikini top on? That's the question, to which the answer is no, because she'd get an uneven tan that way, and would possibly lose work as a result. So for all practical purposes you might as well take some pictures of yourself sunbathing with just a bikini top on and post them here, that would be just about as convincing.

Sep 23 23 04:49 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

JQuest wrote:
Image is 18+

Whose idea was it? Is it likely that a female model would, on her own initiative, sunbathe with just a bikini top on? That's the question, to which the answer is no, because she'd get an uneven tan that way, and would possibly lose work as a result. So for all practical purposes you might as well take some pictures of yourself sunbathing with just a bikini top on and post them here, that would be just about as convincing.

Sep 23 23 04:52 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

JSouthworth wrote:
Whose idea was it? Is it likely that a female model would, on her own initiative, sunbathe with just a bikini top on? That's the question, to which the answer is no, because she'd get an uneven tan that way, and would possibly lose work as a result. So for all practical purposes you might as well take some pictures of yourself sunbathing with just a bikini top on and post them here, that would be just about as convincing.

"Whose idea was it? Is it likely that a female model would, on her own initiative, sunbathe with just a bikini top on? That's the question, to which the answer is no
No that wasn't the question. That's the response you just made up because your previous assertion that bottomless sunbathing never happens was disproven. In point of fact the actual file name for that image is, "female-person-resting-on-wild-rocky-seashore-half-woman-in-full-unbuttoned-knotted-shirt-sunbathing.jpg"

You asserted that it never happens. Adding requirements ex post facto in regard to whose idea it was (who cares) neither proves nor validates your position. As always when presented with an argument that fully and completely refutes your initial assertion you follow up in the solipsistic manner of a toddler (as usual). Moving the goalposts in such a manner does not improve your argument it weakens it. Your reply is nothing more than a red herring (and a poor one at that) intended to change the discussions parameters in a cynical attempt to salvage some part of your argument. Instead it only embodies the intellectual laziness that accompanies virtually all your postings.

Your argument and assertions on bottomless sunbathing have failed on all accounts. It has been shown that bottomless happens, period, full stop. All of your dissembling, conjecture and goalpost moving does not change what that image shows. You are wrong as the image so clearly shows.

Sep 23 23 06:30 am Link