Forums > Model Colloquy > Why do short models insist of doin Runway?

Model

Engel Schrei

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Junk Fashion wrote:

Come to NYC!

buy me a plane ticket and i'll be there smile

Jun 20 07 02:20 pm Link

Model

Engel Schrei

lol

Jun 20 07 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Junk Fashion

New York, New York, US

Engel Schrei wrote:

buy me a plane ticket and i'll be there smile

I'll buy you a plane instead - you just have to fly it lol!

Jun 20 07 02:47 pm Link

Model

Sibyl Nin has retired

Brooklyn, New York, US

Junk Fashion wrote:
That is if you can even reach that high without a step ladder

perhaps I'll just pull your toenails out one by one with a rusty pliers since you  are Oh so tall for me to reach without a ladder.

Jun 20 07 02:49 pm Link

Model

Engel Schrei

Junk Fashion wrote:

I'll buy you a plane instead - you just have to fly it lol!

I'm serious. If I could afford the trip, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Jun 20 07 02:51 pm Link

Model

Merideth

Boston, Georgia, US

I am a short girl, just barely making five feet three inches. I know I could never do runway professionally, even if I wanted to, simply because a taller girl would be chosen in about fifteen out of sixteen instances.

Jun 20 07 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Junk Fashion

New York, New York, US

Sibyl Nin wrote:

perhaps I'll just pull your toenails out one by one with a rusty pliers since you  are Oh so tall for me to reach without a ladder.

uh-oh ****runs off to get toenail covers****

Jun 20 07 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Junk Fashion

New York, New York, US

Engel Schrei wrote:

I'm serious. If I could afford the trip, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Message me

Jun 20 07 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Junk Fashion

New York, New York, US

Merideth wrote:
I am a short girl, just barely making five feet three inches. I know I could never do runway professionally, even if I wanted to, simply because a taller girl would be chosen in about fifteen out of sixteen instances.

I like you

Jun 20 07 03:04 pm Link

Model

Sibyl Nin has retired

Brooklyn, New York, US

Junk Fashion wrote:

uh-oh ****runs off to get toenail covers****

SMART MAN smile

Jun 20 07 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Junk Fashion

New York, New York, US

Sibyl Nin wrote:

SMART MAN smile

Off Topic - You make a famtastic Glamour Model

Jun 20 07 03:42 pm Link

Model

Sibyl Nin has retired

Brooklyn, New York, US

Junk Fashion wrote:

Off Topic - You make a famtastic Glamour Model

thank you ..midgets can be sexy too!*shows off stubby legs*ha!

Jun 20 07 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Junk Fashion

New York, New York, US

Sibyl Nin wrote:

lol! Actually all the best glamour models I know are under 5'6" The curves just stand out better on them. Why they are so heavily used in promotional modelling.

Jun 20 07 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Sibyl Nin wrote:

Hey, short models rock for some things.  One of my commercial clients in NYC is talking about having me shoot a poster/ad for a group of Sushi places that sell his wine.
The image would be the model on a bed of wine bottles covered in sushi (the model, not the bottles).
A tall model would require too much sushi!

Jun 20 07 03:57 pm Link

Model

Peggy

Cranston, Rhode Island, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Thank you for the rationality!
I've flatly told some of these ladies they're beautiful and could have success elsewhere but they want to insist on runway as this one area.

You’re quite welcome! And thank you. wink  As I see from the posts that continue, they won't be taking your advice anytime soon....lol.

Jun 20 07 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Peggy wrote:

You’re quite welcome! And thank you. wink  As I see from the posts that continue, they won't be taking your advice anytime soon....lol.

Nope.  Goes right over their heads.  wink

Jun 20 07 04:34 pm Link

Model

Sibyl Nin has retired

Brooklyn, New York, US

SLE Photography wrote:
Hey, short models rock for some things.  One of my commercial clients in NYC is talking about having me shoot a poster/ad for a group of Sushi places that sell his wine.
The image would be the model on a bed of wine bottles covered in sushi (the model, not the bottles).
A tall model would require too much sushi!

*WORKS THE RUNWAY..err coffee table..fiercely* stubby-ness is SOOoo Hot right now.
this thread has been officially hijacked. *curtsy*

Jun 20 07 04:42 pm Link

Model

Megan Mariee

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I wish I was in NYC.

I like the newest short models in this thread they're nice, rational, and pretty.

Jun 20 07 05:16 pm Link

Model

Merideth

Boston, Georgia, US

Junk Fashion wrote:

I like you

haha well, it is the truth, even if I wish it wasn't.

Jun 20 07 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Sibyl Nin wrote:

*WORKS THE RUNWAY..err coffee table..fiercely* stubby-ness is SOOoo Hot right now.
this thread has been officially hijacked. *curtsy*

If the sushi shoot comes together, I'll give you a shout  wink

Jun 20 07 07:57 pm Link

Model

Miss Tiffany W

West Laurel, Maryland, US

Simply put...the runway is fun.

Jun 23 07 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Wyoming Telford

Seattle, Washington, US

because someone has to insist and be stubborn enough for established cultural norms to change.

just like someone had to push for changes in health laws, the constitution, affirmative action.

now before anyone goes crazy, I realize modelling is not as important as politics, but change is a good thing.  I could give a shit about the height of the model, as long as she brings it.

Imajin Studios wrote:
Why do models who are short for High fashion runway (below 5'9") keep insisting they want to do runway work?

Jun 23 07 02:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Kimberly Pletz

Los Angeles, California, US

Imajin Studios wrote:
Why do models who are short for High fashion runway (below 5'9") keep insisting they want to do runway work?

Because lame designers ALLOW it... If they didn't allow it then they would get the picture!

Jun 23 07 02:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sandra Valero

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

Same reason why some mega skinny girls with no curves say they want to do glamour hehehe. Dreaming is free!

Jun 23 07 03:00 pm Link

Model

crownme

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

whatever sad

Jun 23 07 03:06 pm Link

Model

Megan Mariee

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Aleemah wrote:
whatever sad

You're hot though smile

Jun 23 07 03:07 pm Link

Model

crownme

Megan Mariee wrote:

You're hot though smile

awwww...how sweet smile

Jun 23 07 03:07 pm Link

Model

jenn marie

Redondo Beach, California, US

i'm 5'7 and i was ASKED to do a runway show. with heels it doesn't matter. It creates the long leg needed to acheive the runway look. Also, if a 5'7 person can make themselves look tall and make the clothes look good, then why does height matter?

Jun 23 07 03:10 pm Link

Model

Megan Mariee

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jennika Darling wrote:
i'm 5'7 and i was ASKED to do a runway show. with heels it doesn't matter. It creates the long leg needed to acheive the runway look. Also, if a 5'7 person can make themselves look tall and make the clothes look good, then why does height matter?

We're talking about high fashion like New York or Milan or Paris.  A 5'7 model with no exposure (like from ANTM) will not be walking those.  If you're 5'7 in 3 in heels next to me, at 5'9 in 3 in heels it's still going to look off.

Jun 23 07 03:11 pm Link

Model

crownme

Megan Mariee wrote:
We're talking about high fashion like New York or Milan or Paris.  A 5'7 model with no exposure (like from ANTM) will not be walking those.  If you're 5'7 in 3 in heels next to me, at 5'9 in 3 in heels it's still going to look off.

dammit,I need to go get my knees done asap smile

Jun 23 07 03:15 pm Link

Model

Megan Mariee

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Aleemah wrote:

dammit,I need to go get my knees done asap smile

Yoga stretches you a little. smile

Jun 23 07 03:17 pm Link

Model

jenn marie

Megan Mariee wrote:

If the models are going out on the runway solo, then i dont think the audience will notice the difference. plus, if the designer is worried by this, then put the 5'9 model in lower heels smile i really don't see the big deal about height. especially if you are on the brink of the "required" height. i mean..5'7... 5'9... same thing. haha

Jun 23 07 03:18 pm Link

Model

Whitney Peyton

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

im 5ft 3 inch... i'm a pretty well paid model believe it or not. but im not niave enough to think i can do runway for a second!

Jun 23 07 03:18 pm Link

Model

Megan Mariee

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jennika Darling wrote:

If the models are going out on the runway solo, then i dont think the audience will notice the difference. plus, if the designer is worried by this, then put the 5'9 model in lower heels smile i really don't see the big deal about height. especially if you are on the brink of the "required" height. i mean..5'7... 5'9... same thing. haha

But they'll notice when you walk all together at the end.  But why should the designer have to cater to the models and worry about getting lower heels for the taller ones?

Jun 23 07 03:19 pm Link

Model

crownme

Megan Mariee wrote:

Yoga stretches you a little. smile

I better get signed up then...Wouldn't it be nice if you can borrow height and give it back when ur done? smile

Jun 23 07 03:22 pm Link

Model

Megan Mariee

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Aleemah wrote:

I better get signed up then...Wouldn't it be nice if you can borrow height and give it back when ur done? smile

It would be.  We should find a way for the girls that are over 6'0 that can't model because of it to give the rest some of  their height then everyone wins.  But.. that does make more competition.

Jun 23 07 03:24 pm Link

Model

jenn marie

Megan Mariee wrote:

But they'll notice when you walk all together at the end.  But why should the designer have to cater to the models and worry about getting lower heels for the taller ones?

ehhh no one cares about the walk at the end. and it is the coordinators job or whoever to put models in certain shoes. so, they can worry about the few inch difference. a few inches seriously does not matter. it really doesn't. 1-3 inches isn't really noticed.

Jun 23 07 03:27 pm Link

Model

Megan Mariee

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jennika Darling wrote:

ehhh no one cares about the walk at the end. and it is the coordinators job or whoever to put models in certain shoes. so, they can worry about the few inch difference. a few inches seriously does not matter. it really doesn't. 1-3 inches isn't really noticed.

It does when it's someone who is 5'7 compared to a model that is 5'11.

Besides the longer the legs the longer the lines.  Also, gowns tend to look better on taller models.

Jun 23 07 03:28 pm Link

Model

jenn marie

ok.. well, whoever coordinates will chose models within a few inches of each other. maybe like 5'7-5'10. or 5'8-5'11. they wont all be exactly the same height. they will work out the centimeters with shoes. its no big deal. i dont insist on doing runway. i am asked to do it. and it looks fine. but, then again i do swimsuit. and they don't want gangly looking chicks. they want firm, toned with small curves. so, i guess high fashion is different.

Jun 23 07 03:35 pm Link

Model

Megan Mariee

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jennika Darling wrote:
ok.. well, whoever coordinates will chose models within a few inches of each other. maybe like 5'7-5'10. or 5'8-5'11. they wont all be exactly the same height. they will work out the centimeters with shoes. its no big deal. i dont insist on doing runway. i am asked to do it. and it looks fine. but, then again i do swimsuit. and they don't want gangly looking chicks. they want firm, toned with small curves. so, i guess high fashion is different.

First of all it's not fair to call fashion models gangly.  It's rude and I find it insulting.

Swimsuit is entirely different for sure.

Jun 23 07 03:36 pm Link